binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606924 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 27, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »

Now that I'm getting a better feel for classes and all things OOP I'm finding myself forever tinkering and going over old code and rewriting it using my new found knowledge.  This is a bad thing.

I whole heartedly agree!

Using my enforced stop/start coding regime it's taken me 3 days to incorporate a new "Range" class that I'd come up with.  It's certainly made the code a lot easier to read and reduced the amount of code in some places considerably, but it's debatable whether you'd actually call it "progress"  BunnyMonkey!

I did the same thing in Flash just a few days ago! It made my input code more readable ad more efficient!

Still, I'm already seeing the benefits and it should, long term, make life a little easier.

And to celebrate, today I'm going to finish adding the Zoo animals that wander the extremities of the screen when they get bored  Kang-a-roo!

I forgot to mention that I got myself a Mini-Laptop! Its pretty awesome. The one from the PC world adverts, the Advent!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #376 on: November 27, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

I forgot to mention that I got myself a Mini-Laptop! Its pretty awesome. The one from the PC world adverts, the Advent!
Lovely.  Even if you don't do proper coding on it, it's still useful to have something which you can fire up and jot a few dev notes on wherever you are Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »

XNA 3.0 had some new media commands in so I've rewritten my music playing routines to take advantage of them as now I no longer need to put everything in XACT (sound fx will still be handled by XACT though)

I've also ported most of my old music visualization code across too, so the next task is to finish that off and tweak the balancing so it reacts properly to the music.  You don't want it so sensitive that it reacts to every tiny sound as then anything linked to it just looks a chaotic mess, but you also don't want it just sitting there doing nothing while music is playing.

I've no idea what I'll use the music visualization for yet mind, but it's nice to have the option  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: December 07, 2008, 02:00:15 AM »

It's a pity. My microcontroller visualiser (just flashes LEDs with music) is nothing but a chaotic mess Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »

It's a pity. My microcontroller visualiser (just flashes LEDs with music) is nothing but a chaotic mess Tongue
Nice.  We need to see this.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »

It's on the video for the car stereo mod on my blog Smiley. It doesn't show it very well but yeah, it's just designed to flash LEDs with the beat of the music, and doesn't do a good job at all. I need to start the code again, which I might, one day.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »

It's on the video for the car stereo mod on my blog Smiley. It doesn't show it very well but yeah, it's just designed to flash LEDs with the beat of the music, and doesn't do a good job at all. I need to start the code again, which I might, one day.
Excellent.  Didn't realise you'd updated your blog Smiley

That looks pretty cool TBH.  And I like the fact you can see all the wires and innards of the stereo giving it that proper home made, mad inventor feel   Kang-a-roo!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2008, 04:35:58 AM »

Haha, yeah, thanks. That's exactly what I was going for.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #383 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »

I can't believe it's been this long since I updated  Tongue

Anyhow I took a long break over Christmas and the New Year, but I'm back now.  I've kind of got bogged down in rewriting and improving existing code and while that will need to be done at some stage, I've decided to focus on finishing off the routines needed to finish an actual game.

There are still plenty of those mind, but if I just get the core gameplay ones finished I can start on some proper playtesting and worry about adding menus ect later.  Sounds like a plan  BunnyMonkey!

It's also starting to look more likely that the first game will be Echoes....with extra game modes etc.  That means I don't need to write the background colouring routines required for mono (although that shouldn't take too long and once Echoes has shown the engine code works ok, mono shouldn't be far behind) .....then I can start writing something original which is what I really want to be doing Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 13, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

I can't believe it's been this long since I updated  Tongue

Anyhow I took a long break over Christmas and the New Year, but I'm back now.  I've kind of got bogged down in rewriting and improving existing code and while that will need to be done at some stage, I've decided to focus on finishing off the routines needed to finish an actual game.

There are still plenty of those mind, but if I just get the core gameplay ones finished I can start on some proper playtesting and worry about adding menus ect later.  Sounds like a plan  BunnyMonkey!

It's also starting to look more likely that the first game will be Echoes....with extra game modes etc.  That means I don't need to write the background colouring routines required for mono (although that shouldn't take too long and once Echoes has shown the engine code works ok, mono shouldn't be far behind) .....then I can start writing something original which is what I really want to be doing Smiley

Seems wis, since those background routines are a little tricky (for me anyways).

That sounds awesome, if you do Echoes, could you do a mode that only has the 3 types of asteroids?
Also, if you do Echoes, will it have Crack, or will that be a standalone?

Good to have you back.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #385 on: January 13, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »

Seems wis, since those background routines are a little tricky (for me anyways).
The backgrounds aren't that tricky, I already have the distortion shaderzzz written, but all these little things take time. Smiley

That sounds awesome, if you do Echoes, could you do a mode that only has the 3 types of asteroids?
Very likely.  I already have several game mode ideas written down and one of them is "classic" mode with you against just the traditional Asteroid enemies.

Also, if you do Echoes, will it have Crack, or will that be a standalone?
If I did the "full" version of Crack which I was writing in DBPro then it would be a stand alone game, but that's unlikely.  Chances are, if anything, that it would just be included in Echoes as a game mode.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #386 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »

This evening I accidentally wrote part of the mono background colouring routine.  Quite some accident considering I was working on the player animation code and I'm not even supposed to be working on mono at all.  Tongue

It was just one of those "I wonder..." moments and 10 minutes later I'd proved the theory.  Now that I know it works, it shouldn't take more than an hour to get it fully working, and that's including a few little features I want to add that weren't in the mono demo background colouring routines.

I'm quite pleased with that as I was quite apprehensive about how I was going to do it as I remember how difficult it was to get running satisfactorily in DBPro.  No such worries here as it couldn't have been easier. Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »

Another little suggestion for Mono.

If you do decide to code it.  Grin

I would like an option for the enemies, when they come on screen, to not cause damage to the player until they either move in towards the centre of the screen or when a timer ticks down.
Maybe giving them, a transparent ( low alpha ) level to distinguish them as newly arrived to the arena.

It would probably be pratical to disable them from recieving damage from the player too when they appear on screen at the screen edges.  As this would prevent the player from sitting at the side of the screen shooting away with impunity.

This would give the player enough time to get out of the way and prevent the situation of enemies appearing right on top of the player.  Very annoying.   Undecided

Basically, disabling all collision with an enemy when it first appears, preventing the instant death syndrome.

I've had the same issues with Echoes too by the way.

But after an enemy becomes active, ie, it travels away from the screen edges towards the centre, it can attack and be attacked even at the screen edges again.

TMC

Interesting to note though, that i still play the BZ games.  After all this time.
Which goes to show the fundamental gameplay is sound and provides loads of fun.
Links are always on my desktop.   Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:44:13 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »

Another little suggestion for Mono.

If you do decide to code it.  Grin
It's kind of in parallel development with Echoes.  They obviously share 95% of the same DNA so working on one effectively progresses the other.  Hopefully they'll eventually feel different enough to justify releasing them both.

I would like an option for the enemies, when they come on screen, to not cause damage to the player until they either move in towards the centre of the screen or when a timer ticks down.
Maybe giving them, a transparent ( low alpha ) level to distinguish them as newly arrived to the arena.

It would probably be pratical to disable them from recieving damage from the player too when they appear on screen at the screen edges.  As this would prevent the player from sitting at the side of the screen shooting away with impunity.

This would give the player enough time to get out of the way and prevent the situation of enemies appearing right on top of the player.  Very annoying.   Undecided

Basically, disabling all collision with an enemy when it first appears, preventing the instant death syndrome.

I've had the same issues with Echoes too by the way.

But after an enemy becomes active, ie, it travels away from the screen edges towards the centre, it can attack and be attacked even at the screen edges again.
That's actually something I've wrestled with quite a bit believe it or not and the way it's handled has changed several times.

I honestly can't remember how the current system works  Tongue , but I don't think you can collide with enemies until they are entirely on screen (at least it worked like that at some stage).  Also you didn't used to be able to shoot enemies until they were entirely on screen either, but that didn't feel right in Echoes work and didn't work at all in mono because it makes it impossible to colour the sides of the screen.

I could make sure no enemies spawn along any edge the player is beside, but that means they could effectively camp, knowing they are safe.

And I don't want to do it the same way as something like GW where all the enemies spawn inside the play area.  In a slower paced game that's ok, but in a fast paced game, even though it never spawns enemies directly beside you, far too often they are spawned directly in your path.

The best solution is probably to just give the player more warning of new enemies, so in Echoes I think I'm going to allow the screen to scroll slightly so you can see outside of the play area, meaning you can clearly see enemies spawning in the space that would previously have been off screen.

Unfortunately that's not an option in mono, so I'll need to think of something else.  BunnyMonkey!

And now I'm rambling.  I believe the answer to your point was "I'm working on a solution" Smiley

Interesting to note though, that i still play the BZ games.  After all this time.
Which goes to show the fundamental gameplay is sound and provides loads of fun.
Links are always on my desktop.   Grin
Thanks.  Hopefully I can knock out some new content when I've finished with theses Xbox360 ports.....one day.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #389 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »

Shock. Horror.  I've stumbled across my first bug in XNA  Shocked

It only took one extra line of code to fix it, but it did mean that the one hour I thought the mono background colouring routines would take, ended up taking considerably longer

For the technically minded it appears that textures are locked when they are drawn to the screen, meaning you can't alter them. That's perfectly logical, but they should then automatically be unlocked once the Draw method is complete, however this doesn't happen so you have to do it manually yourself (assuming you want to alter them in some way).

Code:
graphicsDevice.Textures[0] = null;

At least the solution is simple and I didn't have to code a huge workaround.  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: