binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605846 times)
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

Hypothetical solution to your spawning problem:

Divide the world up into a grid. Let's say each cell is 128x128 px. The inner cells aren't important, just the cells at the edges of the world. Each cell has a counter. For every frame that a player overlaps that cell, increment the counter. For every frame a player doesn't overlap a cell decrement the counter (with the minimum value being 0). When the counter is in the "sweet-spot" (let's say between 0-2secs) and the player is currently over that cell, don't spawn enemies from there. If the counter goes over the sweet-spot (so, 2+ secs) spawn away.

Effectively, the "honest" players don't get screwed over, and the campers eventually get punished. Giving the counter some sort of splash effect (ie: the cell you're on gets incremented by one, and the ones around you by 0.5) will stop campers from cycling between two close-by cells.

The only problem I see here is a perceived inconsistency in the spawning behaviour. To the player, it'll seem like at some times, enemies don't spawn close to you, whereas at other times they'll happily do so. But I think a little tweaking will get it feeling reasonably "natural".

Thoughts?

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #391 on: January 25, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »

That sounds possible, but like everything else you would have to test it to see whether it works and more importantly whether it feels right for the player.

If the player learns that enemies don't spawn under them and then all of a sudden they do...maybe that's even worse.  Whatever method I use it has to be consistant and should be invisible too the player if it's done properly.

In Echoes I think the solution I have is as good as any in that the screen scrolls and you see enemies spawning outside of the play area long before they can do you any harm.

And in mono TBH I doubt camping would be a major problem.  Unlike in Echoes and other arena shmups, you only increase your score by colouring the whole screen which invariably means moving so after a point camping has little benefit.  Also when things really heat up I'd like to see anyone stay still for any length of time without taking a beating regardless of where they are on screen Smiley

Anyway yes, there are a number of possible solutions and I need to do some testing but I'll certainly consider that one SiN.  Perhaps we have the solution already, or perhaps the solution is a combination of a couple of ideas already mentioned Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »

Also you didn't used to be able to shoot enemies until they were entirely on screen either, but that didn't feel right in Echoes work and didn't work at all in mono because it makes it impossible to colour the sides of the screen.

Ahh ok, glad to see it's something that hasnt slipped your notice.

I'm still quite keen on the idea of making the enemies invulnerable once they enter the arena, for a short time ( at the screen edges ).  With some visual clue to show what state they are in.  Different color, transparent, flashing, ect

Although the player wouldnt be able to shoot them in this mode, once they had turned to normal mode, theres nothing stopping the player from shooting them when they approach the screen edges again, as per normal.  This would still allow for coloring in of the screen edges.

Not sure if i made myself clear in the previous post.  Smiley

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #393 on: January 27, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »

I'm still quite keen on the idea of making the enemies invulnerable once they enter the arena, for a short time ( at the screen edges ).  With some visual clue to show what state they are in.  Different color, transparent, flashing, ect

Although the player wouldnt be able to shoot them in this mode, once they had turned to normal mode, theres nothing stopping the player from shooting them when they approach the screen edges again, as per normal.  This would still allow for coloring in of the screen edges.
Unfortunately, while that sounds fine in theory, unfortunately it doesn't really work from a gameplay balancing viewpoint.  If the player can't kill enemies in mono until they are fully on screen then colouring the edges becomes almost impossible. 

The coloured "blobs" that are painted to the background fade away to virtually nothing at the edges, so even if the player shot the enemies at the point they touched the screen border, then the amount of colouring done at the edges would be negligible and colouring the corners would be impossible.

Difficult to explain, so I've attached a pic Smiley

If you increase the blob size to overcome this then you completely alter the balancing as the whole screen would colour much much quicker.

Like I said, it's a seemingly simple problem, but because of the way the background works it introduces a lot of problems that aren't an issue in similar shmups Smiley

* mono_edge.png (6.59 KB, 246x186 - viewed 287 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »

Ahh ok.

So, from that example then, a player can only color in the extreme screen edges when an enemy first appears on screen
And not when an enemy travels to the screen edges.

I didn't realise that.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:26 AM »

Ahh ok.

So, from that example then, a player can only color in the extreme screen edges when an enemy first appears on screen
And not when an enemy travels to the screen edges.

I didn't realise that.

TMC
Well you could colour the edges, but as I said, it would take a lot of blobs layered to top of each other to do it. 

I'm contemplating having the enemies wrap around like in Asteroids (ie. not coliding with the screen edges, but going off one side and onto the other to gt rid of the problem altogether, but we'll have to see what that actually plays like.  And it would screw up some of my new enemy designs Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »

I've missed alot! No internet is a shame... Glad to hear everything is progressing and is looking great!
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »

I quite like the idea of a scrolling play area.

My nudgeball worked on a similar concept, restricting the ball to a smaller play area.

I might knock up a small demo just to satisfy my own curisosity.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »

I quite like the idea of a scrolling play area.

Yeah it will work fine in Echoes, but unfortunately not in mono as IMO it would destroy the effect of the background.

Anyway, just one final task with the mono background routines now and that's to add the code to keep track of the score....which sounds trivial, but depending on how you produce the backgrounds,  isn't actually as easy as it sounds Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:34:21 AM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2009, 06:16:18 PM »

Ok, why did nobody tell me strings in XNA were immutable......or what the hell that even means.  I'm sure developers just make these bloody words up to impress everyone and feel superior.  Well it worked lol BunnyMonkey!

I've sorted it now, but there was much confusion, head scratching and angry animal noises down at The Zoo over what seemed like it should be the most basic of tasks.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »

Ok, why did nobody tell me strings in XNA were immutable......or what the hell that even means.  I'm sure developers just make these bloody words up to impress everyone and feel superior.  Well it worked lol BunnyMonkey!

I've sorted it now, but there was much confusion, head scratching and angry animal noises down at The Zoo over what seemed like it should be the most basic of tasks.

Even though the background routines for Mono are tricky, upon completion wouldn't it be much much easier for you to continue developing mono as it has fewer enemies than Echoes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »

Even though the background routines for Mono are tricky, upon completion wouldn't it be much much easier for you to continue developing mono as it has fewer enemies than Echoes?
TBH the background routines were much easier to write in XNA than they were in DBPro.  The only tricky point was me being a numpty  BunnyMonkey!

And there might currently be fewer enemies in mono than in Echoes, but if things go to plan then there wont necessarily be in the full version of mono.  There will be several different enemy types at least.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #402 on: February 02, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »

Just knocked up a couple of boring but useful Timer classes.

I can assign different events to different timers so for example, things that run in RealTime will continue to run when a game is paused, but things that run in GameTime will pause.  And I can easily alter GameTime so I could run things in slow motion or even in reverse (to an extent)  if necessary.

Nothing too fancy, but it's all automatic so it's one less thing to worry about.  Kang-a-roo!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

That all sounds really quite cool Fog!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »

That all sounds really quite cool Fog!

lol.  No, it probably sounds really boring to most people, but then a lot of development is.

I'm not sure whether anyone is really interested in the technical side of development like how certain things are designed and work, but if I didn't put a little of that stuff in there there would be very little to write.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: