binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606624 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »

So, you have entered the world of useful editors aswell Fog?
Well it's about as basic as editors get but it does the job.  Not quite up to Masked standards yet Smiley

I'm definitly keeping a watchful eye on your progress as it seems you've managed to do more work in XNA than you did on Tension, which i'm sure your going to want to complete after you port/improve Mono, Echoes, Crack and many more...
yeah I'm slowly edging towards having the game engine in XNA to a similar state as I had the old DBPro one.  TBH I'm not that excited about porting "old" games as I'd much rather be doing Tension and a million-and-one other new ideas, but Echoes and mono can be done fairly quickly and prove the engine works so I'd be stupid not to.

Oh and I managed to fix a glitch in Fireworks which was preventing me from pushing it out to test. So maybe by tonight i'll have it sent to both TMC and yourself!
Cool Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »

Been doing a little work on my vector text editor.  It was originally designed just to handle designing vector fonts so was pretty basic, but now I've adding the option to use vector stuff for other objects so I'm making a few tweaks to make it more flexible.  Still nothing too fancy, but it now handles different coloured lines and alpha settings within thee same character/object.  Plus I've increased the resolution of the grid of points you draw on to allow for slightly more complicated shapes.

Then I need a couple of tweaks to the game engines vector drawing code to handle these additional features. I'm quite looking forward to seeing it in action

Great to hear you've got an editor on the go.   Grin

Makes game dev soooooo much easier.  I'm sure the benefits of using one will spur you on to creating more elaborate editors.

Well it's about as basic as editors get but it does the job.  Not quite up to Masked standards yet

Won't be too long before you're nipping at my heals i'm sure  Wink.  Can't wait to see some finished games too.

Oh and I managed to fix a glitch in Fireworks which was preventing me from pushing it out to test. So maybe by tonight i'll have it sent to both TMC and yourself!

Ready, waiting and willing Jdog.   Grin

TMC
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »

Well, wait no more friend. I made a post in my Mini Devblog section, so check in boxes whenever you're ready.

Can't wait to see some screenshots from your work aswell Fog! It is very rewarding playing anything you've made yourself with a 360 pad. I'm loving it at the moment and i'm only playing a highly advanced version of Pong. Same principal applies.

I've started to work on my Shmup engine, its in its infacy, at the moment it contains a general struct for all my sprites which I wrote for Pong and no doubt i'm going to convert it into a Class, which although seems like a wise move, i'll keep everything special in structs then sort it out later. I've also succesfully used my first "Switch, Case" which handles GameState after previously using horrible If Statements, not too sure which is faster really but hey.

Put in spoiler tags as its really an aside. Either way though, its got me thinking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »

I've also succesfully used my first "Switch, Case" which handles GameState after previously using horrible If Statements, not too sure which is faster really but hey.
Switch/Case will, in most situations, be faster than a bunch of IF's.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »

I managed to get my own font into XNA now using quite a simple technique. The good news is I have a template so I can make as many fonts as I do games (So thats none then, lol). So thats good.

I'm just finishing up the font for Pong, then i'm going to write my Menu code, it has to be done at some point, so I may aswell start soon.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »

Well I've dropped in my place-holder vector fonts and it's pretty cool.  As they are vector based they are easily scalable, rotatable and distortable (is that a word?) and best of all vector stuff always looks nicely old-school Smiley

These new vector routines still aren't useable as game objects within my emitter system yet, so that's the next step.

Interestingly, but equally confusing, a few tests seem to indicate my new emitter/object code is faster than my old routines when, if anything, I was expecting it to be slightly slower.  I've no idea why, but I'm not complaining.  I can only assume my OOP/XNA noobness had led to PPP in my early code.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »

One of the things I had in my old DBPro game engine but never used was the option to easily skin games (replace existing media with alternate images and sounds).  As this was a bit of an after thought the way I implemented it was cumbersome and TBH code wise a total mess  BunnyMonkey!

However I've come up with a really neat way of doing it within my new game engine that requires a single function call so that's already implemented.  I might even use it this time  Tongue  I feel an alternative, old-school graphics set for Echoes may be appropriate  Kang-a-roo!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »

One of the things I had in my old DBPro game engine but never used was the option to easily skin games (replace existing media with alternate images and sounds).  As this was a bit of an after thought the way I implemented it was cumbersome and TBH code wise a total mess  BunnyMonkey!

However I've come up with a really neat way of doing it within my new game engine that requires a single function call so that's already implemented.  I might even use it this time  Tongue  I feel an alternative, old-school graphics set for Echoes may be appropriate  Kang-a-roo!

When you say Old School, do you mean it in relation to your current work in reation to the past version, so Old School would be the graphics you had before.

Or by Old School do you mean more to the graphical style of Asteroids?

Gotta say, the stuff your adding sounds really cool, and really useful! Looking forward to seeing what you produce!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »

When you say Old School, do you mean it in relation to your current work in reation to the past version, so Old School would be the graphics you had before.

Or by Old School do you mean more to the graphical style of Asteroids?
The graphics in the PC version will for the most part just be reused in the 360 version so by old-school I mean like 80's video games.  I'm not sure whether I'll go for original Asteroids simple vector style of whether I'll just do something chunky and pixelated.  Hell I might do both lol. 

Whatever, I wont be doing any work on that until the gameplay is finished.  Additional stuff like that I'll probably add while it's at the playtest stage.  Like everything else, it's um, flexible.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 27, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Cool, why not do both?

Jelly Car did it by having loads of different graphical styles, that did and is doing quite well.

Like most games though, it can look as good as possible, but if the gameplay sucks then bad game. Luckily though here at Binary Zoo, you maage to get the game play just perfect, its where frustration meets success forcing you to have just one more go...

Take Crack for example. i'm addicted to it!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »

Take Crack for example. i'm addicted to it!

Stop mentioning Crack lol Smiley  It's on my list of possible extras for Echoes, but I'm trying to convince myself it's not worth the extra dev time it would take (which isn't a lot TBH, but time is very limited)

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »

I wasn't going to post but you forced me.

Crack is fine as it is. You don't need to touch it. Since I have a wired controller, I can enjoy playing it with a pad, which i'm yet to do.

Deal, i'll stop mentioning Crack Cheesy
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #432 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »

Another tedious job out of the way.  I've combined all game images into a single texture and rewritten the animation loading code to handle that.  That should improve performance a touch and every little helps Smiley

Next up I need to convert all the old enemy, bullet, fx and powerup scripts into the format for the new emitter/object system.  It shouldn't take too long, but it's another really boring task.

During the conversion I'll redesign all the weapon bullet patterns to make progression more linear.  Some people commented that because of wild variety of bullet patterns used, they actually preferred some of the supposedly less powerful weapons because they suited their play style better.  So we might not end up with the wild changes in bullet patterns we had before, but there will be a clear improvement between each weapon.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #433 on: March 04, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »

Well converting the old Echoes scripts across has proved to be as mind numbingly boring as I thought it would be, but actually seeing recognisable graphics and familiar fx and movement patterns on screen is quite satisfying.   Kang-a-roo!

I'm also taking the opportunity to beef up a few of the fx as I have a bit more processing power to throw around than the target platform for the PC version had.  Mind, I'd forgotten just how meaty those huge explosions already were. Pumping out through my surround sound system instead of my PC's weedy speakers and now with added joypad rumble, they are quite seismic.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #434 on: March 06, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »

15 different types of emitter just for explosions.  And yet to see it in action you'd think there was just one being used again and again.

The slightly beefed up explosions really do look nicer than the original ones, although again, I'm not sure anyone will even be aware of that unless they see the two versions running side by side.

Oh well, at least I know they are all there even if nobody else does  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: