binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605206 times)
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »

Simulation sickness, actually - you're not moving but the screen is. Try it on several people, try to gauge how many people it effects.

In other news I found a lil' easter egg on the BZ site. Yes, this is how I spend my spare time at university.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »

Simulation sickness, actually - you're not moving but the screen is. Try it on several people, try to gauge how many people it effects.

In other news I found a lil' easter egg on the BZ site. Yes, this is how I spend my spare time at university.
Easter egg?  Here?  Wasat then?

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »

In the bottom rectangular thing at the bottom that has all the 1s and 0s and it also says CONTACT and BINARYZOO at either end in different colours... well... hidden in there NOT in different colours (hidden cause it's hard to notice when they're the same colours) are the famous names Yak and Braybrook.

I noticed this at uni (only time I go to your forums through the main site as I have the forums bookmarked at home) while sitting rather close to a 15" LCD.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

In the bottom rectangular thing at the bottom that has all the 1s and 0s and it also says CONTACT and BINARYZOO at either end in different colours... well... hidden in there NOT in different colours (hidden cause it's hard to notice when they're the same colours) are the famous names Yak and Braybrook.

I noticed this at uni (only time I go to your forums through the main site as I have the forums bookmarked at home) while sitting rather close to a 15" LCD.
haha good spot.  I thought you meant on the forum page, but yeah I'd almost forgotten about the Yak & Braybrook thing myself.  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

Collision code in.  Finally playable again.  Can't post more.  Neon asteroid scum need killing with my uber weapon of multicoloured emissions.  Must play more  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

Collision code in.  Finally playable again.  Can't post more.  Neon asteroid scum need killing with my uber weapon of multicoloured emissions.  Must play more  BunnyMonkey!

Is that a good or bad thing? Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »

Is that a good or bad thing? Smiley

Shooting stuff in a cloud of neon paartciles is always a good thing  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #472 on: April 07, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »

Having done a few stress tests I've found out something interesting about the current game engine (well interesting from my viewpoint anyway). 

If I was to crank the number of objects right up then the game logic would create slowdown long before the drawing process did.  So the CPU would begin to struggle long before the GPU did. 

I guess in a modern machine that's kind of expected and graphically, while the action in Echoes looks pretty intense on screen, it's hardly throwing around loads of high poly models as the GPU is designed to.  Having said that, the game logic isn't the most stressful either, so either the GPU is ridiculously powerful, or the CPU is a little underwhelming.  I'm guessing a bit of both.

What does this mean for us?  Well the "slow" CPU wont be a problem as it could handle many many times the number of objects we need before we runs into problems, but it does mean we have quite a bit of spare GPU time that we can play around with.

After years of coding and worrying about the graphical side of things causing slowdown and being the limiting factor, having a little spare to have some fun with makes a nice change.  Kang-a-roo!

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »

As usual Shawn Hargreaves has some info on this
http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnhar/archive/2008/04.aspx

Starts with...How to tell if you are CPU or GPU bound

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »

As usual Shawn Hargreaves has some info on this
http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnhar/archive/2008/04.aspx

Starts with...How to tell if you are CPU or GPU bound
Very useful.  Cheers Paul.

I'm currently wrestling with a sound fx overload issue.  It appears playing too many of the same one too quickly causes slowdown.  Mind, I am taking things to a bit of an extreme lol  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #475 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »

It's amazing what difference being able to see your score makes.  Well it's good for gameplay, but maybe not so good for productivity  BunnyMonkey!

So the HUD system is in and working.  I had to do a few tweaks to one of my various Text classes to allow for easier use of multiple fonts, but otherwise it was as straight forward as you would expect for something that's essentially just displaying a bunch of text and maybe the odd graphic on screen.  It's pointless writing anything else as it really is as boring as it sounds.  Smiley

In other news the 3 new enemies I'd added was whittled down to just 2 as one of them didn't really add anything new gameplay wise.  I know all the existing enemies are essentially just Dumb Bouncy Blobs (tm) but they all have subtly different behaviour rather than just being identi-kit enemies dressed in different suits (in dayglo colours and neon piping).

Of the two new enemies, one was designed with the intention of testing your reactions and the other just presents a very different problem to any of the other enemies.  Hopefully they both add something slightly different to the other enemies.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 15, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »

Ever so cryptic, both enemies sound interesting!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »

Ever so cryptic, both enemies sound interesting!
Prepare to be disappointed then Wink

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »

So I think I've now got all the objects and routines i need for the gameplay bits, so it's time to start constructing and tweaking the various game modes.

Rather than do the Main game mode first I'm actually doing the "Classic" asteroids game mode.  The only problem I've found with that so far is that the full range of weapons are far too powerful when you have a screen of just normal asteroids on there.

So I think I'll be fixing the weapon type you have and there will be no weapon powerups.  That makes for a purer game and a clearer distinction between that mode and the main one.  I did that in Crack and it worked nicely, changing the emphasis from forever chasing those weapon powerups to simply using what you've been given and relying on a bit more skill Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »

Wow, i'm looking forward to that!

Will it have the trickle of enemy types from small to large, or will you just throw large asteroids in until destruction, then level up? Also, any sign of a bonus UFO Smiley.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: