binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606085 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #480 on: April 17, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »

Will it have the trickle of enemy types from small to large, or will you just throw large asteroids in until destruction, then level up? Also, any sign of a bonus UFO Smiley.
The huge asteroids will make an appearance almost from the start and there will be a constant stream of them as opposed to a set number per level.  I prefer not to have any break in the action if possible  Smiley (I always find the end of levels in games like Space Invaders and Breakout where you have only have one or two targets left break the flow.)

All the extra game modes I plan so far will work like that, although what actually triggers the next lot of enemies will differ slightly between them.  Some are triggered by a timer and some by the weighting of the enemies left on the screen (that's the method I currently use in Echoes to ramp the action up)

Oh and there is currently no UFO however it's still on the list and now that I have everything in place, adding a new enemy type takes about 5 minutes (once I've done the graphics which I always struggle with for ages  Tongue )

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

Sounds like a great system, keeps people playing till they're dead. Instead of waiting for that accurate shot!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #482 on: April 19, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »

So I've ditched using XACT for my sound fx as the process was unnecessarily lengthy and the function that limits the number of instances of the same sound seemed to be causing slowdown in extreme circumstances.  When things like this work they are great, but when they don't and you don't have access to the underlying code then there's nothing you can do about it.  Great!

Now I've written my own sound fx handling class I know what's going on behind the scenes and I'm a lot happier. All the scripts I needed for Echoes sound fx have been added and tweaked.  The option to slightly randomize the volume and frequency is working and adds some subtle but important variation to otherwise repetitive sounds. Super!

I'm still not sure it's fixed the occasional performance issue I was experiencing with XACT, but if it hasn't then at least it's my own code so it should be easier to do something about it. Niiiiiiiice!

[/obscure Fast Show references]

Now what was I supposed to be doing before this audio detour?  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that playtesting is so enjoyable that actual coding progress has slowed to a crawl?

In between playing I'm tweaking the single player modes (currently 6) and thinking over adding a few more powerup types.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »

In my experience, its a bad thing, at that time work on the game stops, when you forget that all the graphics are yet to be done and you've got no menu or leaderboard system...maybe thats what did it for me with Fireworks. It got too "fun".

Still though, it has to be a good thing! Normally at this stage devs are sick of seeing their game and if it doesn't repulse you then you're on to a winner.

Either way, looking forward to what you produce!
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »

Thumbs up from me.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »

You know the problem with putting a classic Asteroids only game mode in Echoes is that after playing the proper Echoes mode it all seems a bit tame.  Not necessarily a bad game mode, but a bit bland without the variety that the extra enemy types in the other mode.

I guess I'll leave it in as what I see as bland might actually be seen as purer gameplay by some people... and hell, if you don't like it there are several other modes to entertain  Smiley

Whatever other modes i stick in, the original Echoes version is still very much the main one and the others just a little bonus....much like Crack.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »

Whatever other modes i stick in, the original Echoes version is still very much the main one and the others just a little bonus....much like Crack. 

Aww... I have a feeling that normal Asteroids would be pretty fun to play within the echoes environment. I could be wrong though.

You are adding all this stuff whilst keeping it well below the 50 mb limit?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »

Aww... I have a feeling that normal Asteroids would be pretty fun to play within the echoes environment. I could be wrong though.
It's much more likely that I'm wrong.  Excessive playtesting does seem to distort your perception of things slightly....that's why so many games that are only ever tested by the original coder are ridiculously hard for new players.

I'm not sure what that means for Meteor Storm mode which I've just been testing though as I'm really enjoying that.  It's like a slightly more brutal version of GW:Waves.  BunnyMonkey!

You are adding all this stuff whilst keeping it well below the 50 mb limit?
It's just code which takes up hardly and space and not much code at that.

Because of the way everything is structured "Meteor Storm" only needed a paltry 9 lines of code, but even that sounds excessive next to "Classic Asteroids" 7 lines Smiley

Most of those few lines are just a few timers and some maths juggling to get the gameplay balance right.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

Cool, Meteor Storm sounds intense! and as i'm sure you know, I am a huge fan of GW Waves (The current rank 1 on the PGR 4 version Cheesy) so this coud be a well played version I think!

Lets just say, theres a lot of Tension leading up to this Echoes 2.0!

Keep up the great work mate!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »

Cool, Meteor Storm sounds intense! and as i'm sure you know, I am a huge fan of GW Waves (The current rank 1 on the PGR 4 version Cheesy) so this coud be a well played version I think!
No.1 ?  Wow.  Congrats.  I need you in Playtesting...get that free XNA membership sorted out Wink

In other news, the Asteroid Belt game mode is done (it needs a better name  Tongue )

Imagine a single Asteroid Belt chasing you around the screen.....now imagine if that Asteroid Belt was 30 asteroids long!.....now imagine there wasn't just 1 of these things but 10 separate ones all chasing you.....300 asteroids in total....with the cheats switched on that's what I've just had and it looks rather cool even if I say so myself  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »

When you'd said Asteroid Belt what immediately sprung to mind was the player being surround by fastly rotating and orbiting asteroids where whenever the upgrades do become available, the player has to dive out of the centre to the outer edges to pick up upgrades.

It now sounds like my worst nightmare (In a good way Wink) extra long snake asteroids chasing you until death! Sounds hard.

Yeah, current #1, atleast last time I checked. I do need to sort out that membership.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »

When you'd said Asteroid Belt what immediately sprung to mind was the player being surround by fastly rotating and orbiting asteroids where whenever the upgrades do become available, the player has to dive out of the centre to the outer edges to pick up upgrades.
If you manoeuvre just right then you can sit still and the asteroids will orbit safely around you.  Sooner or later you've got to start killing them though and the nicely balanced orbits turn a bit chaotic and it generally ends with you being slammed by a load of them.

Getting some randomness into the snake like movement is really important.  If you use the same turn and velocity variables for every snake then you soon end up with all the snakes following exactly the same path, neatly in line following the player.

You might think making the snakes turn faster to face the player would be a good way of making it harder, but the opposite is actually true.  The slower turning ones have more chance of hitting the sides of the level and that introduces an element of unpredictability and chaos which makes things much harder than ones that home in on you quicker and have quite predictable movement.

[/utterly useless game design info]

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »

A little addition to the Classic Asteroids mode.  That should keep someone on here happy Smiley

( ignore the double image....that's just the screen shaking due to a big explosion out of shot when I got shot by the UFO while busy searching for the Prt Scr key  Tongue )

* saucer.png (28.94 KB, 182x172 - viewed 276 times.)

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Thats Awesome!!!! Yeah, i'm pretty damned happy with that. Your screenshake must be really intense! Do the lights on the UFO rotate or spin as the UFO moves?

Also, do you think it adds to the game play? Cheesy

In short, Thanks Fog!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: