binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605219 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »

Your screenshake must be really intense!
Yeah, When the player gets hit then there's a decent screen shake....and a screen flash....and a particle effect....and a joypad rumble....and a floor shaking bass heavy sound effect.  Basically you know you've been hit  BunnyMonkey!

Do the lights on the UFO rotate or spin as the UFO moves?
A whole 3 frames of animation lol.  Not that you really notice them in game mind.

Also, do you think it adds to the game play? Cheesy
Well originally I only added it because the original Asteroids had one in, but it's proved to be a bit more useful than I thought from a gameplay point of view because, after a few tweaks, it helps stop players camping in the corners of the screen Smiley

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:57:47 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #496 on: April 29, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »

Yeh.

Cool little spaceship.   Cheesy

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:36 PM »

Working on the main game mode now and I'd forgotten how long it took me to get the balancing right on the original version.  For something so deceptively simple it's a serious pain to get right.

The early levels aren't too difficult but by level 10 you have to get just the right quantity of each of the 10 different enemies on screen otherwise it plays like crap.  Too many plain asteroids and it eventually becomes a boring cannon-fodder killathon....but too many of the other enemy types and it becomes a never ending exercise in avoidance and equally boring to play.

Then getting the quantity of powerups to match the action so that you're neither insanely powerful all the time or overwhelmed and lacking in firepower.

Getting the balance between a decent challenge but still having plenty of feel good cannon fodder destruction is the ideal aim here.  Then getting that balancing to work over 3 difficulty levels....

Writing the many thousands of lines of code needed for the various enemy, bullet, fx etc routines is easy.  Juggling the few lines of variables that control the gameplay balancing is the tricky bit and will make or break any game.  You really can't spend too long on getting it right.

Now who is up for some playtesting?  Smiley

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »

Now who is up for some playtesting?  Smiley
Pick me! Pick me! Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »

Masked bravely steps up to the plate to volunteer for the dangereous mission of playtesting the pc version.   Shocked

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

If there's a PC version, I'm there.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »

I'd like to do some PC playtesting aswell, since its for balancing reasons.

Up to you though Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »

Thanks for all the offers chaps.  Testing is crucial so it's much appreciated.

Initially at this early stage I had just intended doing 360 testing.   It's not so much playtesting for gameplay issues etc I'm now bothered about, it's technical and performance ones.

As XNA works on both the 360 and PC then in theory I have a PC version ready for testing too, but there might well be performance issues on some PC's and I don't have any options in place for addressing those yet (fx level adjustment etc)

I haven't tried it on my desktop yet, but if I don't need to do any extra work to get it to work satisfactorily on there then I may do some PC playtesting too.  Sooner or later that will happen anyway.

Cheers.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »

In XNA, is there a way to limit a date or period of time that you can't play the game after. If so, it'd be a great way of limiting the beta.

Ideally though, I need my 360 Membership.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #504 on: April 30, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

In XNA, is there a way to limit a date or period of time that you can't play the game after. If so, it'd be a great way of limiting the beta.
Well you can access the date so limiting the time something would work for would be easy enough.

Ideally though, I need my 360 Membership.
Yes you definitely do Wink

If it's a hassle to sort out a student membership then you can always just register for Dream uild Play and get a free 12 months membership that way

http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/default.aspx

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

I'll be up for some Xbox playtesting (but my box is about 3 or 4 weeks away from being shipped)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 30, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »

I signed up using the Dream Build Play competition as a means and have saved my code. The good thing about the Dream Build Play competition, is it will almost guarantee that i'll get something done! That prize money sure is tempting (Lol).
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #507 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »

I'll be up for some Xbox playtesting (but my box is about 3 or 4 weeks away from being shipped)
If you really want to Paul.  I know you'll be busy with other things ATM.

I signed up using the Dream Build Play competition as a means and have saved my code. The good thing about the Dream Build Play competition, is it will almost guarantee that i'll get something done! That prize money sure is tempting (Lol).
Let me know when you're up and running on the 360 and I'll add you to the Playtesters member group. Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »

As long as my 360 is here I'll give it a whirl.  It's amazing how much time you have when the kids aren't around.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »

As long as my 360 is here I'll give it a whirl.  It's amazing how much time you have when the kids aren't around.
Cheers.  I just need to tidy a few things up first as I'm not very comfortable showing stuff which is nowhere near finished...which this isn't  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: