binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605847 times)
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: May 28, 2009, 02:45:12 AM »

w00t Smiley

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #541 on: May 28, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »

w00t Smiley
You might not be saying that when you see it lol  BunnyMonkey!

XBL was down most of yesterday, or certainly when I tried anyway, so I couldn't do any testing so just did a bit of code tidying instead.  It doesn't really effect the game from a users perspective, but adding a nice, tidy, functional piece of code to your library that you know you can reuse in the future without ever needing to touch it again is strangely satisfying.

Adding transitional states between the main game states has improved the readability of the code hugely.

Instead of going something like:

Main Menu => Game

I now have:

Start Main Menu => Main Menu => Start Game => Game

It's a small change, but it means I can hide all the background, font, motion blur, music changes etc in those "Start" states, making them easier to find and edit, while cleaning all that clutter out of the main game states.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #542 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:24 PM »

I've finally settled on 25 Zoots (Achievements).  That means completing one of them on easy difficulty will only account for a measly 1% game completion progress and you'll need to do all 25 of them on Insane difficulty to get that magic 100%  BunnyMonkey!  That is one serious challenge.

So anyway I've coded the class to handle all of that side of things.  Now to work out how to display a list of them on screen which is the sort of layout task I'm useless at.  The coding is dead easy, but deciding what layout looks good isn't.  That's why my menu screens tend to be strictly functional nothing more.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »

Make it scrollable. That always goes down a treat (is that a pun?).

Sounds great!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2009, 05:54:03 PM »

Make it scrollable. That always goes down a treat (is that a pun?).
Well yeah a list that long will obviously have to be scrollable.  Although it would be easier for me if everyone just bought bigger screens.  Duck!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

Any thoughts on making a 360 or PC video of the game ?

Also, what are your commercial plans for 360 version.  Free or for sale ?

I can see this being a really good seller for the xbox if you choose that route.  Would make sense to make the PC version for sale too if that was the case, as a free version would probably hit sales on the xbox.

Although echoes is already available for free on PC, i'm thinking your new version has enough enhancements to make it sellable as a new game.

Have you thought about a subtle name change ?

Echoes+ or Echoes 2.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »

Any thoughts on making a 360 or PC video of the game ?
Yeah I'll grab some footage from the PC version once I've tidied up the HUD Smiley

Also, what are your commercial plans for 360 version.  Free or for sale ?

I can see this being a really good seller for the xbox if you choose that route.  Would make sense to make the PC version for sale too if that was the case, as a free version would probably hit sales on the xbox.
You can't release free stuff on the 360 so it will sell for 200MSP which is the equivalent of about 1.70 Smiley

Looking at the state of the Community Games market though, even at that low price I'll be happy if sales hit 3 figures.

There have been plenty of really good games released so far (including a couple from around here) that have sold hardly any copies and it seems like it's mainly quirky apps and interactive toys that sell well ATM.

My hopes aren't high lol Smiley

Although echoes is already available for free on PC, i'm thinking your new version has enough enhancements to make it sellable as a new game.
Well that's the plan.  Even if it doesn't sell, I've got a PC compatable game sitting there so it would be stupid not to release it in some form, but I know nothing about the best ways to sell stuff online so I'll need to look into the options.

Have you thought about a subtle name change ?

Echoes+ or Echoes 2.
yeah I've thought about it, but I haven't decided yet Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #547 on: June 01, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »

Well any regulars know how much I hate writing menu code, but the workings are all in place now so that's one horrible job out of the way  Kang-a-roo!

I still need to create and link all of the instructions and help screens to the code and add a bit of polish here and there, but I'm fairly happy with it.

All the Zoot handling code is also complete, although I wont link the actual gameplay to any of that until I'm 100% sure I wont be changing the gameplay code again, so Zoots remain unachievable right now.  I really want to get them in before the next playtest version is released though so I can get some feedback on how difficult they are so I can tweak the requirements.

I've also beefed up the explosions a bit.  previously each explosion consisted of three parts; a large flash image, some medium sized "rock" fragments and finally some smaller particles.  The rock fragments didn't look flashy enough though and in the heat of the action could be slightly confusing (mistaken for smaller asteroids) so I've removed them, doubled the quantities and increased the size of the smaller particles and made the main explosion flash noticeably bigger.  I think it's an improvement, but I doubt anyone else will notice lol Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 01, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

I can guarantee SiN will notice it  Shocked Eyes of steel!

My fear with some of Zoots are that on some difficulties, you just don't get enough enemies! Unless, you tailor the Zoots depending on what difficulties people are playing on? Guess thats why i'm a playtester  Cool  Roll Eyes

Glad to hear the Menu is out of the way, as its the dullest coding "task" anyone can write. I'd hate to be a UI programmer...
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #549 on: June 01, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

I can guarantee SiN will notice it  Shocked Eyes of steel!
That reads like you've seen it yourself and you haven't lol Smiley

My fear with some of Zoots are that on some difficulties, you just don't get enough enemies! Unless, you tailor the Zoots depending on what difficulties people are playing on? Guess thats why i'm a playtester  Cool  Roll Eyes
That's a fair concern, but I want to keep the targets exactly the same for all difficulties as that's kind of the point.  Like....Here's an Achievement to unlock, but which difficulty can you manage it on?  If I set different targets then it's like having 4 separate achievements and the current medal system isn't as applicable.

I'm sure the balancing wont be perfect on every one and, much like Achievements, some will be harder to unlock than others but at least I've tried to make them interesting.

If I see another game with loads of Achievements where they go "Complete Level 1", Complete Level 2", Complete..." I'll go mental.   It's lazy and unimaginative.  The odd one for things that you would normally do during the course of a game isn't too bad, but they really work best when they challenge you to play the game in ways you wouldn't normally do.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Oh, I see. I'll wait till I see it  Lips Sealed

And regards achievements, your exactly right. Some are just lame, and simply reward playing the game (which is all well and good) but it doesn't expand it or really chalenge the player. Which after reading through your initial achievements earlier on in the bog, there were definately big challenges (Casual Gamer for one, jeez!).

So I guess, if you unlock an achieve on "very hard" then you unlock them all?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »

Which after reading through your initial achievements earlier on in the bog, there were definately big challenges (Casual Gamer for one, jeez!).
I wouldn't read too much into the targets I posted as they will change to something more realistic after the next stage of testing. Smiley

So I guess, if you unlock an achieve on "very hard" then you unlock them all?
yeah, only the highest difficulty setting that you have completed the achievement on is important.  As mentioned earlier, only completing all 25 on Insane difficulty will bag 100% completion.

In other news I'm hooked on Survivor mode on Insane difficulty.  A game only lasts about 20 seconds, but thanks to that and the quick restart option,  it has that "just one more go" appeal  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »

The ability to quickly restart really can add a lot to a game - I wouldn't have played Crack half as much if it took 5-10 seconds of menu to restart.

Party mode in Burnout Paradise (which tries to make up for the lack of the awesome split screen in old titles) takes far too long between rounds and to setup to play again, so that dulls the fun considerably.

I stopped playing Far Cry when a save point was a full minute and a half of mindless travel before getting to the difficult monsters.

Quick restart is so important.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »

The ability to quickly restart really can add a lot to a game - I wouldn't have played Crack half as much if it took 5-10 seconds of menu to restart.

Party mode in Burnout Paradise (which tries to make up for the lack of the awesome split screen in old titles) takes far too long between rounds and to setup to play again, so that dulls the fun considerably.

I stopped playing Far Cry when a save point was a full minute and a half of mindless travel before getting to the difficult monsters.

Quick restart is so important.

I equally agree with that.

It's also a bug bear of mine, having to wade through countless menu options in order to play the game.

I think it's a rare game that justifies no quick start option.

Menu wading is a real game killer.

Car games are a nightmare for this.
Being forced to choose countless options in order to play the game.
The game has to be really good in order for me to put up with this.

TMC

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

Car games are a nightmare for this.
Being forced to choose countless options in order to play the game.
The game has to be really good in order for me to put up with this.
Yeah. One of the things I'm best at, in any game, is that I can restart a race in Project Gotham 2 in under half a second, despite the ridiculously small start button on the Xbox Controller S. Mastered the Start-Right-A flick very quickly Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: