binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606491 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #555 on: June 02, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »

Car games are a nightmare for this.
Being forced to choose countless options in order to play the game.
The game has to be really good in order for me to put up with this.
Yeah. One of the things I'm best at, in any game, is that I can restart a race in Project Gotham 2 in under half a second, despite the ridiculously small start button on the Xbox Controller S. Mastered the Start-Right-A flick very quickly Tongue
You'd love something like Motorstorm then as that makes you wait 30 seconds to load the main menu, another 20 seconds while it loads up the car selection screen (whether you need to change or not) and then another minute while it loads the actual race again.  Tongue

In a 2D shmup even going back to the main menu shouldn't really take more than a few seconds, but even so, on the game over screen I've made it so you can just press "X" to start immediately.  It's a simple enough addition, but it works Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: June 03, 2009, 02:34:32 AM »

Oh noes!!!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550200

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #557 on: June 03, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »

yeah, as I donload pretty much ever XBCG then I knew that Smiley  They were contemplating changing the name at one stage to drop the "Halfbrick" bit as well.  (That's the developers name and they crazily put it in front of all their XBCG titles which is bloody confusing for the customer.)

It makes no difference to me really as log as it isn't exactly the same.  Just look at all the games with "wars", "battle" or..."massage"  Tongue

I doubt it really means anything in the bigger scale of things.

Incidentally, where in the world are you right now? Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:40:37 AM by fog » Logged

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »

Actually, will it simply be called Echoes?  Or will you differentiate from the current game somehow.  Echoes++, Echoez, Echoes 2, Echoes: Salvation, etc

I'm in New Zealand until next Thursday - then I'm off to Brisbane for 5 days and return to Hell (Walsall) on the 17th June.

Jobless from Saturday, homeless from Sunday...

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:30 AM »

Please call it Echoes: Salvation. Brilliant title.

Jobless? Homeless!? My lord, what happened?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #560 on: June 05, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »

Actually, will it simply be called Echoes?  Or will you differentiate from the current game somehow.  Echoes++, Echoez, Echoes 2, Echoes: Salvation, etc
lol.  That would be one similarity too far I think Smiley

I probably should rename it a bit so that, if nothing else, the new PC version is differentiated from the old one.... so I'll think about the title nearer submission.

I'm in New Zealand until next Thursday - then I'm off to Brisbane for 5 days and return to Hell (Walsall) on the 17th June.

Jobless from Saturday, homeless from Sunday...
You must be stressed mate.  Walsall might be hell, but there will be a couple of young uns there who will be over the moon to see you again.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:40:24 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #561 on: June 06, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »

Please call it Echoes: Salvation. Brilliant title.

Yup, a good name.

But how about

Echoes - Reloaded   Grin

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: June 06, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »

Oooh wait. I know. Echoes - Echoes - Echoes - Echoes

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #563 on: June 06, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »

Genius   Cheesy

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #564 on: June 06, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »

lol.  Brilliant.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #565 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:10 PM »

You know when you do lots of work and have very little outwardly to show for it  Tongue

Boring List:
  • tweaked both the bitmap and vector text routines so the command sets are now almost identical.
  • created a message class allowing me to create "fire and forget" messages to either world or screen space.
  • simplified HUD making it more consistent across the game modes (hopefully) and it's now reduced making it less intrusive.
  • modified the menu slider routines to make them look better.
  • added messages column to highscore table and populated with relevant info (different for each game mode)
  • button tips added to menu screens.
  • improved speed of vector line drawing routine.
  • changed level size in The Asteroid Belt game mode which adds a touch more randomness to proceedings.
  • loads of gameplay and balancing tweaks

As ever it's all the finishing bits and pieces that take all the time.  I think another week and the code side of things will be done and I'll just need to write the help screens etc.  That should push my limited graphical abilities to breaking point BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #566 on: June 08, 2009, 10:25:01 PM »

More HUD tweakage and thanks to a bit of advice from SiN I think we've got a design I'm happy to stick with.  Ironically it's the simplest of all the designs I've tried, but the info is nice and clear and it's simplicity fits with rest of the game.

And "Nerve" mode is no more....it's now  called more appropriately "Sacrifice" mode (although a current bug means you sometimes lose multiple lives instead of just one so maybe "suicide" mode would be more appropriate  BunnyMonkey! )

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #567 on: June 09, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »

Occasionally something sounds perfectly logical from a gameplay perspective and yet in practice it just doesn't work.   BunnyMonkey!

I thought it would be a cool idea to implement something like the original Asteroid controls in the Classic game mode to make it feel more authentic.  So out went the twin stick control setup and in came left stick for rotation, 'A' to fire and right-trigger for thrust.

With a nice bit of momentum it seemed pretty decent until you started to actually play the game.  Then, as soon as you got into a tricky situation, instinct took over and you immediately yank the joypad in the direction you want to move, forgetting all about applying thrust.

And for once it's not just my aged brain either as I've tested it on someone else and got the same response.  You do adjust to it after a while, but swapping between game modes it never feels comfortable.   Too many bloody twin stick shmups have messed with our brains.

So  I've come to a bit of a compromise which is less authentic, but feels better.  Rotation and thrust are now both mapped to the left stick with 'A' still used to fire.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »

Cool, that'll still take some getting use to (for me anyways...). Although it should stop me from getting to those much, much later levels...

Sounds like the game is coming along leaps and bounds! Can't wait Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #569 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »

Sounds like the game is coming along leaps and bounds! Can't wait Smiley
We're getting there.  I still have a lot of cosmetic things to do, but the game modes are complete so I'll upload a new version for testing whenever anyone's ready.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: