binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606634 times)
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: June 19, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

In my experience, great 2D games make for horrible 3D games. YMMV.
What about crap 2D games? Wink
I'm not sure that anyone has considered making 3D Battletoads...

Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 19, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »

Well, the goal is less to make a good 3D game and more to just make a 3D game to get a feel for some of the stuff XNA can do with 3D. I am still learning XNA and think that if I can spend my time working on the code instead of the gameplay and concepts I will be able to learn more.

I am not really certian how it would translate into 3D (mind you, figuring out the last few details would be easier than making my own concept still)... It would pretty much be the same... fly around in a cube as a sphere and shoot the spheres who than stain the air. The stains have effects on the enemies that pass through them... Powerups of course would be in it... stain the whole cubes area... So pretty much as you would expect I should think. The biggest detail left is how to do the staining. It can't be solid colour of course or else it would be unplayable...

I welcome any advice and criticism (and expect to finish it around the end of this summer cause I just started playing Fallout3  Cheesy).

And Khakinator, i really do expect it to turn out not that great because I am only just starting to work with game design. I do think that some things can be changed to 3D and still be good. Metroid games offer a good example. Zelda ones too sorta.

The truth hurts, but lies aren't any better. So what should I say??
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #602 on: June 19, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »

Well, the goal is less to make a good 3D game and more to just make a 3D game to get a feel for some of the stuff XNA can do with 3D. I am still learning XNA and think that if I can spend my time working on the code instead of the gameplay and concepts I will be able to learn more.

I am not really certian how it would translate into 3D (mind you, figuring out the last few details would be easier than making my own concept still)... It would pretty much be the same... fly around in a cube as a sphere and shoot the spheres who than stain the air. The stains have effects on the enemies that pass through them... Powerups of course would be in it... stain the whole cubes area... So pretty much as you would expect I should think. The biggest detail left is how to do the staining. It can't be solid colour of course or else it would be unplayable...
Well mono is effectively just Asteroids with an original scoring mechanic so if I was you I'd forget about how you'd apply mono gameplay to 3D, and first write a 3D Asteroids variant.  Then if that all works out it should be relatively easy to try adding some sort of colour based scoring system to it.

If you're trying to learn XNA then IMO it's best to concentrate on just that and not worry about the finer points of game design as that just confuses things.  That's the main reason I'm writing Echoes in XNA now.  I know the gameplay works so I don't need to worry about that and can concentrate everything on learning XNA.

That's the way I'm working anyway, but as I mentioned earlier about languages, do whatever you think will motivate you enough to finish.  In the end it doesn't matter how great you are at coding, or how awesome a games designer you are, the biggest challenge you'll ever face is motivation.

(In saying all that, I have no clue what your personal game development history is Smiley )

(and expect to finish it around the end of this summer cause I just started playing Fallout3  Cheesy).
Great game.  I lost about a month of development time to it around Christmas.  BunnyMonkey!

Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 20, 2009, 04:18:48 AM »

Well, I already made a 2D platformer and made a basic FPS type game (no ai and the models are crap. Basically I ran around as a box shooting at objects that would vanish when hit). So I already have a start. I just need to modify the physics a bit for flying and such so it isn't like I am starting completely from scratch. Oh, and brush up on making pretty textures.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #604 on: June 20, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »

Well, I already made a 2D platformer and made a basic FPS type game (no ai and the models are crap. Basically I ran around as a box shooting at objects that would vanish when hit). So I already have a start. I just need to modify the physics a bit for flying and such so it isn't like I am starting completely from scratch. Oh, and brush up on making pretty textures.
Ah cool.  Well whatever you do keep us informed of your progress Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #605 on: June 20, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »

I don't know if you ever saw my game "Nudgeball" Flame, but it was a 3d arena game, played on a flat plane pitch.  But the camera tracked the player from above and behind, viewing everything in 3d.

I'm thinking Mono 3d could work along similar lines.

Think of a 2d flat plane arena, viewed and played in 3d.

You could restrict the coloring to the 2d plane then.  Ie, coloring in a texture that covers the play area.

TMC
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 20, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »

Flame, sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted!
Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »

I'll sorta keep you posted, but only if it is something fairly big. This is supposed to be Fog's bog, and so we should be hearing about his game development (infinitely better than mine) in here. Fog hasn't really given an update on his work all too recently (pokes fog).

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

I'll sorta keep you posted, but only if it is something fairly big. This is supposed to be Fog's bog, and so we should be hearing about his game development (infinitely better than mine) in here. Fog hasn't really given an update on his work all too recently (pokes fog).

You should start your own mini-blog in the Game Dev section.

Fog is usually on the ball as far as development goes and is pretty consistent. I'm looking forward to the next playtesting session!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #609 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »

Well there isn't really a lot of interesting stuff to talk right now (some would say there never was).  It's all minor tweaks, menu work and preparing instructions screens.  Surprisingly even something as simple as Echoes needs 10 different instruction screens to help explain the various game modes. Oh what fun I'm having.  Tongue

The only major development recently is that I've decided to drop nerve/Sacrifice mode.  Initially it was meant to be a one life, mini game affair, but after I tweaked that to be a proper mode with 5 lives I've decided it really needs a game specifically designed around the risk/reward scoring mechanism and not just squeezed into the Echoes format.  It's effectively finished in Echoes right now and totally playable so I know the idea works well meaning it's something I'll no doubt use at a later date.

So that means the final number of modes is 6 which gives a nice mix of different game styles, requiring different tactics and should  be enough for most people Smiley

I'm just going to add the Zoot display screens in and then I'll upload another playtest version.

Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »

Sounds like it is going along well enough. Pity that it is just boring stuff for you right now Sad.

JDog, how is the playtesting usually? Are there many errors/glitches/bugs or is it just kind of play through it and let fog know everything seems in order?

I don't really feel much like maintaining a blog (and I am not even certain my project will ever be released, depending on how it turns out), but thanks for the suggestion anyways Smiley.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:49 PM »

Shame to see Nerve/Sacrifice dropped, but its for the best i'll guess. Afterall 6 game modes is more than enough lol.

Flame: No comment Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #612 on: June 22, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »

Flame: No comment Smiley
Go for it if you want.  There's little in Echoes that I haven't mentioned myself somewhere and there's nothing in testing that I don't want discussed.....well this time anyway Smiley

JDog, how is the playtesting usually? Are there many errors/glitches/bugs or is it just kind of play through it and let fog know everything seems in order?
The version I uploaded was playable but far from finished so I was aware of a few things that needed doing (mainly menus and cosmetic) and IIRC there was just the one suspected bug found.

I got plenty of other useful feedback though (again, mainly menus and cosmetic) and some really useful comments about difficulty from uber gamer JDog.  It's hard setting difficulty levels properly when you're crap at gaming  BunnyMonkey!

There's nothing clever about playtesting, or not the way I do it anyway lol Smiley .  Just give your game to a bunch of people whose opinions you trust and listen to everything they say.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #613 on: June 24, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »

Still plugging away with the Zoot code here.  Due to dropping one of the game modes, but not wanting to reduce the total number of zoots, I had to juggle a few things around.

The main Echoes game mode now has a nice round 10 zoots and each of the other 5 modes have 3 each, making a nice 25 in total.  Hopefully there are a couple of interesting ones in there.   BunnyMonkey!

And now I just need to tidy up the Zoot display screen a touch and that's another area finally finished.

After that, assuming no major bugs or suggestions come out of playtesting, it really is just the media to finish off.  Drop in the new audio, tidy up any images and write the final help screens.

Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

I look forwards to being able to play it before too long Cheesy.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: