binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606772 times)
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: July 15, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »

I had all the text prepared in advance in Notepad, but when it came down to sticking it on a help screen you suddenly realise that it's just too  much.  There's nothing that's likely to stop people reading instructions than a wall of text which is self defeating, so a  rewrite was required.
Happens to me every single time.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #646 on: July 15, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »

I had all the text prepared in advance in Notepad, but when it came down to sticking it on a help screen you suddenly realise that it's just too  much.  There's nothing that's likely to stop people reading instructions than a wall of text which is self defeating, so a  rewrite was required.
Happens to me every single time.

Mo
That's reassuring. Smiley

I've never done in-game instructions before, just external help files, and with those anyone that has opened that file up is specifically looking for help and instruction so you can go into depth without fear of scaring them off.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:50 AM »

I've never done in-game instructions before, just external help files, and with those anyone that has opened that file up is specifically looking for help and instruction so you can go into depth without fear of scaring them off.
Dear fog,
Please put "BOO!" in big red text taking up at least 50% of the screen on the help screen.
Sincerely,
TheKhakinator.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #648 on: July 16, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

Dear fog,
Please put "BOO!" in big red text taking up at least 50% of the screen on the help screen.
Sincerely,
TheKhakinator.
lol.  Don't tempt me.  Very bored of doing proper help screens right now.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #649 on: July 17, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »

Kang-a-roo!

Final help/instruction screen completed.  That deserves another roo  Kang-a-roo!

I just need to tweak the code a touch now as I've ended up doing more help screens than originally intended so I need to reorder them and change a few of the menu buttons linking to them around.

Then I need to add the time limit to a couple of the game modes for the Trial version and then.....nope, that's it  Smiley

Code will then be complete and I'll just need to do the video, website stuff etc.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

Kang-a-roo!

Final help/instruction screen completed.  That deserves another roo  Kang-a-roo!

I just need to tweak the code a touch now as I've ended up doing more help screens than originally intended so I need to reorder them and change a few of the menu buttons linking to them around.

Then I need to add the time limit to a couple of the game modes for the Trial version and then.....nope, that's it  Smiley

Code will then be complete and I'll just need to do the video, website stuff etc.  BunnyMonkey!

Wow! You deserve a serious pat on the back. Well done Fog, and best of luck!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #651 on: July 19, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »

Echoes+ is code complete (*) so a programming free weekend spending time with family and watching the cricket (which apparently are none compatible activities  Tongue ).

(*) I have a few other non-coding things I need to do before release so I can't promise there wont be any more tinkering.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #652 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »

Congrats.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #653 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »

So grabbing some decent in-game footage for some game trailers requires a bit of code trickery and experimentation.

First off I have a bunch of debug options available that come in really useful.  A level skip means I don't have to play through the earlier, not so action packed and therefore not so trailer friendly levels.  Then I have an energy top-up option so I don't have to worry too much about dying and having to start recording again (clips of me constantly dying doesn't make for great viewing  BunnyMonkey!) and I can also select any weapon meaning I get to deal out some serious destruction.

So that's the gameplay side of things sorted.  I can skip straight to the action heavy levels and capture some intense action relatively easily.  Then we come on to the problems of actually recording that footage.  I'm using Fraps and I wanted to grab 1280 x 720, but the framerate was way too low on stressful sections of the game and as they are the intense sections that I really want to grab, that's no good.  First thing to do is stop recording the audio.  I'll be joining several clips together so the audio would need replacing with a continuous soundtrack anyway.  Dropping the framerate down from 60 to 30fps is unnoticeable and things are getting better, but still too choppy for decent gameplay footage.  What to do?

The solution as it turned out was simply to use one of my other existing debug tools.  But I'll bore you with that next time when I hopefully have some footage to show too  BunnyMonkey!

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »

You have a DVR, don't you? Can't you deploy to the xbox, record it on your dvr and then load the dvr footage back onto your PC?

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
Flame
10 XP

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »

Wait... The binary zoo favicon changed... When did this happen? How long have I not noticed? The new one looks nice.. BunnyMonkey!

The truth hurts, but lies aren't any better. So what should I say??
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:05 PM »

You have a DVR, don't you? Can't you deploy to the xbox, record it on your dvr and then load the dvr footage back onto your PC?
Had Smiley My cable box now has an integrated HDD so the old HDD/DVD recorder was surplus to requirements.   

Wait... The binary zoo favicon changed... When did this happen? How long have I not noticed? The new one looks nice.. BunnyMonkey!
He gets everywhere.  I'm sure I've seen him in Echoes+ too  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #657 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »

Well it's taken a few days of tinkering with various methods and applications to find the best way to get decent in game footage, but I think I've cracked it now.

So I do a few tweaks to the game using the debug tools I mentioned earlier, grab the footage with Fraps, do any cropping or tweaking in VisualDubMod (thanks TheKhakinator) and then edit all the clips together, adding music etc in Windows Movie Maker.

It sounds convoluted, but I've done a few tests and it seems to give me footage at 1280 x 720 and 60fps so I've no complaints Kang-a-roo!

The biggest challenge now seems to be grabbing footage of me playing the game and not looking like an uncoordinated chimp.  BunnyMonkey!

Tomorrow I'll try and do a proper vid to upload.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »

It'd be interesting to see how you play the game! Looking forward to the video Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #659 on: July 26, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »

It'd be interesting to see how you play the game! Looking forward to the video Smiley
Lend me your uber gaming ability so I can look good in the videos.  I'll give you it back honest  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: