binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605834 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »

Follow your heart!

/useless
You don't think it's a good idea to listen to my head then?  You're probably right  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #706 on: August 17, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »

As a distraction from deciding what project to do post Echoes+, I've been spending some time coming up with new graphical styles in my trusty Paint Shop Pro 7. 

I normally hate doing graphics as I can never do something that I'm happy with, but this has been surprisingly fun and I've come up with a few ideas I really like.....and they aren't all glowy vectory neon blurry either......ok some are  Tongue

In the past I've already had a game idea or a demo that I was trying to design graphics for and that's fairly restricting and, when you can't come up with something suitable, very frustrating.  Here though I have no specific game idea in mind so I'm just messing about and it's fun.  Kang-a-roo!

I really should do this more often.  I'm going to keep a digital scrapbook of little graphical ideas so I have something to reference for future projects and I'm not left staring at a blank Paint Shop screen looking for inspiration.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 17, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »

I tried the same. You'd be surprised how easily it works, what sucks for me though is coming up with the game. I either get 1 or other, graphics or game, and both end up pulling the game to nothing.

Good luck and I look forward to see some of these styles.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #708 on: August 17, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »

I tried the same. You'd be surprised how easily it works, what sucks for me though is coming up with the game. I either get 1 or other, graphics or game, and both end up pulling the game to nothing.
That's where it's good to just tell yourself to stick with placeholder graphics until you have the gameplay nailed.  Or team up with an artist and give them the problem of coming up with something suitable Smiley

Good luck and I look forward to see some of these styles.
Oh you'll probably never see them.  I'll no doubt just fall back into doing the same old boring glowy vectory neon blurry stuff again lol  Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #709 on: August 21, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

mono it is.  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: August 21, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »

I like how you stick to the style principal of "Omit needless words!"  Wink

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

I like how you stick to the style principal of "Omit needless words!"  Wink
What you mean? Smiley

Anyhoo I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do with mono next, so I've started working out how to structure everything.  Based on my experiences both coding and playing Echoes+ I'm tweaking the ideas I had for extra game modes in mono.  As with Echoes+ we'll be looking at 5 or 6 different modes in mono, but the whole background colouring thing allows for a bit more variety in them than the straight shooter format of Echoes+ allowed.

Also, because we are now talking about having multiple levels in the game as opposed to the single level of the old PC demo, I need many different enemy types so I'm juggling ideas I've had for those.

Um, not a lot else to say right now.  It's a game idea I've had bouncing around for years now though so I'm confident that I have a good enough idea of where I'm heading to start coding straight away.

I think we could have something playable fairly quickly  BunnyMonkey!

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: August 22, 2009, 01:34:24 AM »

Slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad. Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #713 on: August 22, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »

Cool.

Strike while the iron is hot, as they say.

If you're coding Mono next, can i request a chill out mode, for just coloring in the screen.  Where the player can't die, but can access all the weapons.
Thats the way i would have prefered to play mono originaly.

Have you decided what to do about the PC version of Echoes + ?

I was expecting the PC version of Weapon Of Choice to be available, but i can't find it anywhere, so i assume it's just Xbox only.

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #714 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »

Slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad. Smiley
Well Echoes+ still isn't out, so you've probably released 3 or 4 titles since I released anything so... Smiley

If you're coding Mono next, can i request a chill out mode, for just coloring in the screen.  Where the player can't die, but can access all the weapons.
Already on the list.  Choose any unlocked level and play as long as you want Smiley

I'm going to wait until Echoes+ has been out for a little while on the 360 so I can make updates based on any feedback.  I'm not even going to attempt to put an estimated date on that though because we all know what happens to those Smiley

I was expecting the PC version of Weapon Of Choice to be available, but i can't find it anywhere, so i assume it's just Xbox only.
Yeah XBox only from what I can see too and looking at the other XNA coded 360 games, fe have a proper PC version released.

The thing is the code written in XNA works perfectly on both the 360 and PC with very minimal changes so it sounds simple, but in reality the PC version needs a load of extra code.

On the 360 you target a single processor, a single resolution and a single controller.  With the PC version you need to have options to tweak for performance issues, allow for the use and calibration of numerous input devices and handle multiple resolutions.

And as we all know this is the sort of time consuming, non-game code that developers hate writing.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 22, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »

Mono!

I always have loved that game! Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the 360 version.

Ofcourse, we'll not let the Mono announcement cloud the Echoes+ achievement! that game looks and plays fantastically and i'm sure when its released i'll be on that instead of geometry wars! I need to get #1 across the board remember Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #716 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »

Ofcourse, we'll not let the Mono announcement cloud the Echoes+ achievement! that game looks and plays fantastically and i'm sure when its released i'll be on that instead of geometry wars! I need to get #1 across the board remember Wink
I wish we were allowed to do proper leaderboards on Live.  Oh well.

God it's great to have a working game engine to tinker with.  It's amazing how fast you can get a new game idea up and running by changing a few variables and tweaking some scripts.  Virtually instant results and a massive motivation boost  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: August 23, 2009, 05:34:10 AM »

Cool.

Strike while the iron is hot, as they say.

TMC

With regards to a chillout mode, you could have it so that the time taken to colour the screen is timed so that if you wanted to you could still play it hardcore. Also it'd be a great mode for exploring the idea of mono-paintings like there was a thread about before that didn't get very far cause you inevitably die.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #718 on: August 23, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »

With regards to a chillout mode, you could have it so that the time taken to colour the screen is timed so that if you wanted to you could still play it hardcore. Also it'd be a great mode for exploring the idea of mono-paintings like there was a thread about before that didn't get very far cause you inevitably die.
Good idea.  I'll expose the level timer so people can use it if they want.

The display settings for each bit of the HUD can be adjusted (on, off, on change)  so players can have as much or as little info on screen as they want.  On of the things I wanted to do with mono was get rid of on screen displays all together, but I appreciate some people want a proper display of information.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #719 on: August 23, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »

Just doing some background tests and it's majorly slow when used in game so I need to do something about that.

I do like the effect of the new stencils though.   BunnyMonkey!  And it will look so much better once I apply the already written shaderzzz to distort, warp and twist it a bit too.

* m2_1.jpg (96.06 KB, 668x462 - viewed 983 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: