binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606910 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #735 on: August 28, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »

Great minds and all that...That's exactly how the new "smart bombs" work

I do have a couple of game modes planned where you don't actually shoot, but your suggestion wasn't one of them.  Mind, the modes in Echoes+ changed several times once I got deep into development and realised what worked and what didn't, so I'm not ruling anything out.

The original mono didn't have any smart bombs, but I wrote the code to handle them for Echoes+ so I thought I might as well use it here too.  As a gameplay mechanic it works quite nicely.  It allows you to colour those really awkward bits of the screen like the corners so it should allow players to get nearer that illusive 100%.

Cool.   Grin

Good job changing the links colors on the news page too.  Much better.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #736 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »

I've been doing some intensive testing (purely essential stuff and not just shooting shit up having fun here honest) and the backgrounds do look rather lovely even if I say so myself.

Testing out various explosion stencils (the shape drawn to the background) to see what works and what doesn't and trying to come up with enough different ones to give each of the planned 10 levels a different look.  Not as easy as I thought it might be when you're restricting yourself to abstract geometric shapes  Tongue

Anyway I've played quite a bit now and only just realised the background colouring wasn't working properly and it was all XNA's fault....not mine, oh hell no.  BunnyMonkey!

When drawing a stencil to the background I can assign any colour to it and in the case of mono that essentially means red, green or blue.  I'm toying with other ideas, but for now it's just one of those 3 colours.  So the quickest and easiest way to do that is just to use XNA's built in colour definitions.  Red and Blue are fine, however Green seems to be half the value you would expect.

Code:
Color.Red:   R=255, G=0,   B=0
Color.Green: R=0,   G=128, B=0
Color.Blue:  R=0,   G=0,   B=255

Better remember that one for future reference.  Strange that I've played this much and not noticed the low levels of green in the backgrounds as it's glaringly obvious now. Tongue

Elsewhere the scoring system is in and working fine.  Currently set to display 1 decimal place although I'm not sure what the final display will be.  1 decimal place is probably necessary when you get into high score territory, but I don't want to go to too many decimal places as that complicates the otherwise beautifully simple scoring system.....IMO anyway.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 28, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »

Or you could just have it produce a score to no decimel places, but have each kill worth a score value and provide a score at the end of the game so players can see kills and stats and stuff Wink

Green is a bit wierd, no idea why they do it lol.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #738 on: August 28, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »

Or you could just have it produce a score to no decimel places, but have each kill worth a score value and provide a score at the end of the game so players can see kills and stats and stuff Wink
I might provide stats, but I wont be providing any sort of score other than the normal % one. Smiley

mono is different to most (all?) other shmups in that your score has nothing to do with how many enemies you've killed and everything to do with where you killed them.  If I add a normal score then that might encourage you to play in a different way and I can see that confusing some people or at least distracting them from the main aim.

I'm trying to treat mono differently to Echoes+ so that it is less obsessed with scoring and more about the experience (god I hate that expression but hopefully you get the idea). 

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 28, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »

Yeah, I see what you'e saying. Makes sense! Then yeah to 1 decimal place would be perfect, to any more detail would be unnecesary. Its just a shame that theres no online leaderboard Wink

Which reminds me, I have a bizarre XNA related problem. If it persists i'll be bugging you in the XNA Questions forum Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #740 on: August 28, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »

Which reminds me, I have a bizarre XNA related problem. If it persists i'll be bugging you in the XNA Questions forum Smiley
Do it.  I keep bugging you for feedback on the Playtest board so don't think twice about asking for any help. Smiley

Anyway, some early, non-distorted in-game shots from mono showing some stencils at work...

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 28, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »

They look great! I love the Hexagon grid, Hexic anyone Smiley

Is the first shot, un-stenciled?

I'll no doubt be taking you up on that offer of help.

Oh and its no problem being "bugged" when the reward is something like Echoes+ Wink
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: August 29, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »

I really like 3 and 4 of those, and I'm guessing the first one is standard mono circle? Nice stuff.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #743 on: August 29, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »

Again it's shaping up to be a nice sequel.

That Xna green value problem is wierd, though.

I like the idea of the stencils.  Adds some nice variety.

I've always wonderd though, how you calculate the percentage score of how much the screen has been colored !

Care to enlighten a curious coder ?  Grin

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #744 on: August 29, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »

I've always wonderd though, how you calculate the percentage score of how much the screen has been colored !

Care to enlighten a curious coder ?  Grin
I do it exactly how you would guess.  I'm not clever enough to do anything else Smiley

Max Score = Screen Width x Screen Height x Max Red * Max Green * Max Blue

I then have a screen sized array in which I store what colour the background pixels actually are and then work out what this is as a percentage of the maximum possible.

One thing to note is that I never draw a shape straight to the backgound image.  For technical reasons/scoring purposes that I wont bore you with unless you really want me to, that just wouldn't work.  So when I need to draw an image I calculate the colour values, store them in my screen sized array, and then transfer that changed data pixel by pixel to the background image.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #745 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:31 PM »

More mono 360 in-game background tests.  Not as happy with these ones although there are a few I like.

I only need 10, one for each of the main levels, but any good ones I don't use will be included in the chill-out mode which is fully customisable so the user can pick whatever background style they want.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »

As Mikey asked about PC release I might as well copy my reply here too...

PC releases need a load more work than 360 ones though and support and distribution are much more difficult and time consuming.

Once Echoes+ has been out for a short while on the 360 I'll know of any bugs and once they are killed I'll convert that hopefully reliable code into a PC release.

mono might follow a similar path, although I'll already have most of the required PC code from Echoes+ so it should follow the 360 release a lot closer.

There's only so much one man can do  Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #747 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »

Those are pretty trippy screenshots.

Very Jeff Minter esq   Cheesy

I do it exactly how you would guess.  I'm not clever enough to do anything else

I then have a screen sized array in which I store what colour the background pixels actually are and then work out what this is as a percentage of the maximum possible.

One thing to note is that I never draw a shape straight to the backgound image.  For technical reasons/scoring purposes that I wont bore you with unless you really want me to, that just wouldn't work.  So when I need to draw an image I calculate the colour values, store them in my screen sized array, and then transfer that changed data pixel by pixel to the background image.

Ahh ok.

Cool.  I wasn't sure if you were checking every screen pixel or some other method to keep the speed up.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #748 on: September 01, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »

I do it exactly how you would guess.  I'm not clever enough to do anything else

Ahh ok.

Cool.  I wasn't sure if you were checking every screen pixel or some other method to keep the speed up.

TMC

Well providing you're only doing calcs when something changes then there doesn't seem to be any need to speed things up.  The actual drawing process takes the vast majority of the time so any improvements would be made there.

As with the DBPro version I only update the background every 0.2 secs rather than every frame.  Updating any more frequently is unnecessary and this helps keep the calculation and drawing processes to a minimum.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 01, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »

As Mikey asked about PC release I might as well copy my reply here too...

PC releases need a load more work than 360 ones though and support and distribution are much more difficult and time consuming.

Once Echoes+ has been out for a short while on the 360 I'll know of any bugs and once they are killed I'll convert that hopefully reliable code into a PC release.

mono might follow a similar path, although I'll already have most of the required PC code from Echoes+ so it should follow the 360 release a lot closer.

There's only so much one man can do  Smiley

I completely, whole heartedly agree Smiley

Which is why, for my sake, i'm designing "My Engine" from the ground up to be tailored towards PC releases, with th option of "Xbox Pad" support so all I have to do is ignore the forced resolution and only allow the player to use the pad. It should work.

Oh well...back on topic. I'm really liking the look of some of those stencils. Of the group I already have a few favourites, so i'll probs give off a list of numbers pretty shortly, so you know where i'm coming from Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: