binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607210 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »

Oh well...back on topic. I'm really liking the look of some of those stencils. Of the group I already have a few favourites, so i'll probs give off a list of numbers pretty shortly, so you know where i'm coming from Smiley
Yeah I'll need to filter out the good stencils from the bad at some point in the future and make sure I get a nice variety of styles.  I'll wait until I've designed a few levels and seen what stencil styles are most appropriate.

I've just put the code together to handle all the different settings for the different game levels so it's time to build one and see how it plays.  We'll start with the standard, original mono style dumb bouncy blobs Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #751 on: September 02, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »

So I've settled on a bunch of stencils that I'm happy with for testing purposes and I've now combined those with the various shaderzzz I wrote a while ago to provide a variety of background distortions.  It's looking good Smiley

The distortions themselves can be altered by tweaking a couple of different variables, representing speed and force.  "Speed" being the rate at which the whole things warps and pulses and "force" being just how much of an effect those distortions have, from subtle to, well, anything but.  BunnyMonkey!

Based on tests so far, many of them aren't terribly easy on the eye (yay!) or the stomach (result!) so we'll be needing a menu option to allow any delicate souls to tone things down....or crank them up if that's your thing.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »

I'm liking the sound of that, that said however, I did get a little motion sick (lol) watching/playing DUOtrix on the max setting!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #753 on: September 02, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »

I'm liking the sound of that, that said however, I did get a little motion sick (lol) watching/playing DUOtrix on the max setting!
Trust me, this is worse/better (depending on your viewpoint)

Forget epilepsy warnings, we need a vomiting one.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #754 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »

Well providing you're only doing calcs when something changes then there doesn't seem to be any need to speed things up.  The actual drawing process takes the vast majority of the time so any improvements would be made there.

As with the DBPro version I only update the background every 0.2 secs rather than every frame.  Updating any more frequently is unnecessary and this helps keep the calculation and drawing processes to a minimum.

Understood.  Grin

Updating the Mono score sounds like an ideal candidate for a threaded process in Xna.
Any plans for that ?

Blitzmax has recently been updated to allow for threads, but i havn't used them yet.  Don't really have the need.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #755 on: September 03, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »

Updating the Mono score sounds like an ideal candidate for a threaded process in Xna.
Any plans for that ?
It's really not necessary.  I never have to scan the whole screen sized array to work out the score, just the bits that change and that's not too demanding.

Blitzmax has recently been updated to allow for threads, but i havn't used them yet.  Don't really have the need.
yeah that's my attitude to threading right now.  I don't have performance issues that can't be solved in other ways so why complicate things by using threads.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: September 04, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »

only time i use threads is for sound engines , and AI / logic threads in LUA chunks(threads). else I'm just a good little procedural programmer still getting used to full OOP .

- great stuff there Fog .  all your games kick Buttons.  Grin

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #757 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »

- great stuff there Fog .  all your games kick Buttons.  Grin
Thanks Prime_8 Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #758 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »

Ever get the feeling you've bitten off more than you can chew.  Learning a new language has it's head banging moments, but there you are mostly just dealing with one new topic at a time.  Here I am doing a bit of an experiment and trying to juggle several new topics all at the same time.

I'm dropping balls all over the place and I don't know which piece of code is causing the problem because I don't know enough about any of them.  Ahhhh...

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »

Ever get the feeling you've bitten off more than you can chew.  Learning a new language has it's head banging moments, but there you are mostly just dealing with one new topic at a time.  Here I am doing a bit of an experiment and trying to juggle several new topics all at the same time.

I'm dropping balls all over the place and I don't know which piece of code is causing the problem because I don't know enough about any of them.  Ahhhh...

Oh, that sounds a bit tough!

The only advice I can give (and you probably won't like it) is get back to what you know, then add the first unknown, comment out all the others. If the first unkown works fine, add the rest sequentially. Your more thank likely gonna come across this problem one way or the other.

/vague lack of knowledge answer Wink

I still haven't gotten that rotation bug sorted out (my way atleast). Once thats done it should be smooth sailing from me Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

The only advice I can give (and you probably won't like it) is get back to what you know, then add the first unknown, comment out all the others. If the first unkown works fine, add the rest sequentially. Your more thank likely gonna come across this problem one way or the other.
Where's the fun in that? Wink  I'll do what I always do and dive in at the deep end, sink like a brick, thrash around helpless for a while and slowly work my way back up to the surface.

Anyway I've nailed a couple of the problem areas.  My concern now is whether I can do what I want without compromising other areas because if it impacts on framerate etc then it doesn't matter how nice an addition it would be, I'll drop it.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #761 on: September 06, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »

Well that's one part of the problem sorted and working well.  Now for the tricky, potentially game breaking part.  I've no idea if this will work even if I can figure out how to code it.  And that's a big "if" right now.  Fingers crossed.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #762 on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »

Where's the fun in that?   I'll do what I always do and dive in at the deep end, sink like a brick, thrash around helpless for a while and slowly work my way back up to the surface.

lol.   Grin

Oh well.  So much for a simple port then.   Roll Eyes

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #763 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

Oh well.  So much for a simple port then.   Roll Eyes
Simple port of what? Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #764 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

Simple port of what?

Are we not talking about Mono, or have i got my wires crossed again.   Roll Eyes

TMC
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: