binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606521 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #765 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »

Simple port of what?

Are we not talking about Mono, or have i got my wires crossed again.   Roll Eyes
Ah right.  The code I was talking about wasn't actually for any specific game, just an experiment into something I might add to stuff in the future.  Of course reading my posts back I never made that clear (Doh!) so your mild confusion is understandable. Smiley

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: September 08, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »

dude you are doing this in C# rite ? good luck and god bless.
LOL i can spit out psudeo code in C/C++ if you need a hand PM me . should not be too hard to pop over to C#
but i'm not up to spee don all the quirks of C# as C++ had my hands/ head full just writing a class module for LUA ..LOL

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »

dude you are doing this in C# rite ? good luck and god bless.
LOL i can spit out psudeo code in C/C++ if you need a hand PM me . should not be too hard to pop over to C#
but i'm not up to spee don all the quirks of C# as C++ had my hands/ head full just writing a class module for LUA ..LOL
Cheers Prime_8 but the C# isn't a problem.  I certainly know enough to get done what I need anyway. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #768 on: September 10, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »

The bits and pieces of the great coding experiment are in place.  Time to connect them all together and see if I can make this thing work. 

Come to think of it I'm not even sure how I would test it properly.  lol.  Um.  I'll be right back....

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #769 on: September 14, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »

Well tests have shown that "the great P2P highscore system experiment" is possible, however a few limitations mean I can't really use it in Echoes+.  Well actually I could, but with 6 game modes and 4 difficulty settings it would either take a ridiculous amount of time for online scores to update or I'd have to restrict the leaderboards in some way.  And unless they update relatively quickly and also reflect the current standings for everyone then I don't see the point.

Future games, mono360 being one example, wont have all those difficulty levels so the number of leaderboards to update will be drastically reduce meaning it should be realistic to include a P2P highscore system in those.  Assuming Microsoft don't allow us access to proper Leaderboards any time soon.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #770 on: September 16, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

Anyway experiments over and back to proper developments again.

To recap, the background stencils for mono360 are looking good as are the background distortion shaderzzz and with dumb, bouncy blob enemies in place it's playable.  Now I need to add a bit of a level structure so I can design and drop in the new enemy types.

I need 10 different enemies for which I have ideas already roughed out, but I'd imagine they will need a lot of changes and tweaking.  Unlike most games of this type the enemy behaviour isn't constant as it needs to change to react to the effect of the colours in the background image.  Getting these changes to produce a smooth difficulty curve is quite a juggling act if my memory of developing the original PC demo is correct, so for some of the more advanced enemy behaviours I have in mind it could prove quite difficult.  But I'm an obsessive tweaker when it comes to gameplay balancing so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Actually is referring to the various stages of the game as "levels" the right term?  I don't envisage them getting progressively harder and maybe calling them "levels" implies that?  Ah plenty of time to ponder that  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #771 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »

Actually is referring to the various stages of the game as "levels" the right term?  I don't envisage them getting progressively harder and maybe calling them "levels" implies that?  Ah plenty of time to ponder that 

Yeh, i had similar problems refering to my game sections as levels when describing the game to various people.

Most assumed the game was linear, moving from one level to the next in the traditional sense.
I still use the term levels, as it's an old habbit hard to break.  I suppose a better description for my platformer would be worlds.

My, not so secret game, uses galaxies and solar systems instead of levels.   Wink

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #772 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »

My, not so secret game, uses galaxies and solar systems instead of levels.   Wink
What's this then?  Time for another dev diary update? Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #773 on: September 18, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »

What's this then?  Time for another dev diary update?

I'm tempted to start another dev diary, i really am.

Soon maybe. 

Grin
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »

Well, i'll probably read it Smiley sounds great!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #775 on: September 18, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »

What's this then?  Time for another dev diary update?

I'm tempted to start another dev diary, i really am.

Soon maybe. 

Grin
Do it!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #776 on: September 18, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »

Those early mono background tests in action (The HD ones don't look as bas as I expected Youtube's compression to make them look).

And yes, the new version is called "mono morphic"  BunnyMonkey!

mono morphic Background Routine Tests

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 19, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »

How'd I miss that before? That looks awesome, I really love the warning messages at the end. That name "mono morphic" will take a little getting used to, good choice!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #778 on: September 19, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »

...I really love the warning messages at the end.
TheKhakinator said something similar on Youtube.  Maybe I should just write advertising slogans and forget about video games Wink

That name "mono morphic" will take a little getting used to, good choice!
Well it's the name I came up with 3 years ago so I'm used to it by now Smiley  The "morphic" bit seemed appropriate.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: September 19, 2009, 03:19:31 PM »

Looking awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: