binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605240 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #780 on: September 19, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »

Cheers mate. Smiley

I'm happy with it so far, even if a nice background is pointless without some nice gameplay to go with it.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 19, 2009, 08:53:49 PM »

Yeah it looks great! I do think the morphing of #3 is the weakest version you have (still good though).

Also, my lucky Page Number Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #782 on: September 19, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

I do think the morphing of #3 is the weakest version you have (still good though).
Is that the X/Y stretch one?

Anyhoo these are just test stencils and morphings.  Some will make it into the game and some wont.  I have 20+ possible stencils already and a similar number or screen morphing shaderzzz to choose from. 

So yeah, I haven't decided which to use yet and of course playtesters will play a big part in those decisions too. Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #783 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19:54 AM »

Yeah, I'd say the only thing is a few where the background warps too far from the play surface such that the player would look like they were floating in mid air (some of the more three-dimensional warps) , they are perhaps a little too intense

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #784 on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »

Yeah, I'd say the only thing is a few where the background warps too far from the play surface such that the player would look like they were floating in mid air (some of the more three-dimensional warps) , they are perhaps a little too intense
Yeah the intensity shown in the vid has been cranked way up for effect.  Some will never get that intense in game and others will only reach those levels when you are just about to die.  And of course I have full control over the speed of the movement as well as the distance and changing that has a big effect too.

(some of the more three-dimensional warps)
Interestingly there are no true 3D warps at all, it's all 2D, but the movement of some certainly gives that impression.  The last couple in particular look 3D to me.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #785 on: September 22, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

So I'm getting to the point now where the core engine code for mono morphic is starting to differ from the Echoes+ code as I make slight tweaks and improvements here and there.  That's something I didn't want to happen just yet.

It's inevitable that it will happen at some stage, but I wanted that to be after I've incorporated any bug fixes (hopefully none) and changes that arise after E+ has been released.  As things stand, any changes that need to be done to the E+ code will also have to be done to the m2 code.  Duplication that's both time consuming and full of problem causing potential.  Not good.

So, until E+ has been out a week or two I'm putting a temporary hold on m2 development.  In the long run it's the sensible thing to do.

However I'm still fully motivated to code so the sensible thing to do, rather than sit idle, is to start on a little project in the meantime.  So that's what I've done.  Just a little game, something a bit different, that if it turns out ok I'll throw up on XBIG for the minimum 80msp.

Soon you'll be gaming like it's 1982  Wink

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #786 on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »

Another thumbs up from me.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #787 on: September 24, 2009, 04:59:51 PM »

I'm not sure everyone else will approve as much because it hasn't got that Zoo blurry neon vectory-ness. Smiley

Anyway I like the way it looks.....I just wish I liked the way it plays.  I'm not feeling it yet.  It hasn't got that mass carnage thing that I like so much.  I was keeping the enemy count down as it seemed more fitting with the style of game it is, but I think I'll double the number of enemies and see if my pixel popping lust is satisfied.  BunnyMonkey!

The one thing I do like so far is the powerup system.  It's a simple enough idea, but it does add an extra layer of strategy.  More on that later  Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »

sounds interesting Smiley You should do it crayon style Smiley and have it colour in some paper Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #789 on: September 25, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

sounds interesting Smiley You should do it crayon style Smiley and have it colour in some paper Smiley

No colouring involved here.  That's mono territory and this is something entirely different  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #790 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »

This XNA engine I have built now is probably better for quick prototyping of ideas than I had anticipated.

I copied the Echoes+ project across and it took about 15 minutes to strip all the Echoes+ specific parts out leaving a blank engine for me to play with.  Most of the code is controlled by scripts so it only takes seconds to remove those, but some bits such as the triggers for the Zoo Trials (Achievements) are buried in the other code so I need to find and remove those individually.  Overall it's a quick enough process though.

Of course once I've finished developing the engine then I'll have a blank one ready for any new projects, but right now Echoes+ is essentially the latest version of the engine so that's my starting point Smiley

After that I can have new enemies flying around the screen in minutes.  No need to draw any graphics, sound etc at this stage as the engine automatically assigns some defaults if you don't specifically tell it what images to use.  Sure it looks like crap, but even those default images are enough to give you a good idea of whether an idea works or not.

Now that the slog (although enjoyable) of learning C#/XNA and building the game engine is over, shmup development is fun again and a big part of that is thanks to how quick I can now test out new ideas.

I'm happy.  Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 25, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »

That sounds cool Smiley I can imagine it being quite satisfying having a nice finished game engine (my end product, should happen quite soon though Smiley)

Don't disregard that crayon idea so soon though for Mono Smiley :X
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #792 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »

(my end product, should happen quite soon though Smiley)
Yeah what's happening with that?  No updates in a while.

Don't disregard that crayon idea so soon though for Mono Smiley :X
Of course not.  Give me a reminder when you're playtesting m2 Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #793 on: September 26, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

So to make things easier I'll now refer to my current mini-project as 1982.  It's a WIP title so may well change, but it sums my aim of "gaming like it's 1982" nicely. (1982 being the year I discovered my love of shmups with Gridrunner IIRC)

Anyway in keeping with the 1982 theme, I added a new shader today.  Very 80's I think you'll agree.  I could have just coded it TBH, but the simple fact is it was much easier to just write a shader.   Smiley

Also been designing a bunch of new enemy ships now I know what direction I'm heading.  Drawing really simple pixel efforts with a restricted palette is great.  They are all going to look a bit crap in keeping with the technology at the time, however not being obsessed with appearances is quite, um, liberating.

Still not happy with the gameplay mind.  I just hope I can rescue that.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #794 on: September 27, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »

Design dilemma.  I get the feeling a game from 1982 shouldn't have motion blur so should I include or not?  I'll stick an option in for it so it's there if people want it, I'm just not sure it should be on by default.  Hmm.

With the style of graphics I'm using I didn't think it would make a difference, but it does look better with it on if I'm honest.  Although is that really "better" in this case or is better not using something when it isn't appropriate?

Anyway I now have a few different enemy types in and it's starting to feel more enjoyable.  And adding a bunch more explosion FX has made killing stuff a whole lot more satisfying.  For a retro themed game it's amazing that I've already found a reason to include 22 different types of explosion particles. And there was me thinking the retro approach might reduce the workload.  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: