binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605229 times)
prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »

Echoes+ is going through the Creators Club playtest & Peer Review process so there isn't anything else I can do with that ATM so I'll continue on with 1982.  I think in a day or two I'll upload a very early demo for playtesters to have a blast on.  It will be far from balanced and have little in the way of proper level structure, but some reassurance that I'm on the right path will be good Smiley
is there any chance you may need another playtester? lol Smiley
this game sounds really cool!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #811 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »

Echoes+ is going through the Creators Club playtest & Peer Review process so there isn't anything else I can do with that ATM so I'll continue on with 1982.  I think in a day or two I'll upload a very early demo for playtesters to have a blast on.  It will be far from balanced and have little in the way of proper level structure, but some reassurance that I'm on the right path will be good Smiley
is there any chance you may need another playtester? lol Smiley
this game sounds really cool!
I've just been discussing PC testing on the Playtest forum and yes, I probably will have a couple more playtesters for that.  I will look to the forum regulars to fill those slots first if they are interested Smiley

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 05, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »

ooo! pick me! pick me! fog! over here! pick me! lol

seriously, i am interested......
although im not a forum regular.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #813 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Hmm I might have to rethink the way the powerups in 1982 work slightly.  Each has 3 uses and two for each works fine, but the third "use" might need to change. 

I say "use" although it's actually what happens to the powerups if you don't collect them.  What currently happens to each just doesn't seem consistent with their other uses.  None of which makes any sense if you don't know what those other uses are, so you'll just have to trust me on this one  Tongue

Hmm, I have an idea  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #814 on: October 07, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »

Right I'm now slightly more happy with the "what happens if you don't collect the powerups" routine.  It's not what I originally planned, but it works well IMO.

The next task is getting some level structure in there that works.  I have such a wide variety of enemy types now that just throwing random combinations together doesn't work. The routines I've tried so far just aren't cutting it. The levels lack and sort of flow and aren't very playable.

I'm either going to have to come up with some clever new routines to automatically balance things better or I'm going top have to spend a long time hard coding each and every attack wave.  As I mentioned earlier I really don't want to do that. In fact if it comes down to that then I would cut the number of different enemies to the point where I know I can rely on my random enemy attack wave generation routines to produce something playable.

And I'm doing this in between doing minor tweaks to Echoes+ that are coming out of Creators Club playtesting.  Aside from Mr.Cunningham spotting a file saving anomaly there's been nothing major.  A couple more days I think and then we submit to Peer Review for release to XBox Marketplace. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:37:31 PM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #815 on: October 08, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »

A few slight tweaks to the kill chaining system in 1982 and I'm a bit happier with it.  I've also added a gauge on screen showing the current kill chain progress.  I'm not sure you'll have time to look at it when you're playing, however it helps me see what's going on and that helps a lot.  It's a nice quick visual aid to whether it's going up and down too quickly or slowly.

Also when you fail to kill enemies and they escape off the bottom of the screen they increase a counter and when this reaches a set level a saucer abducts one of your little men reducing your multiplier.  That has now been adjusted so it relates to your current multiplier meaning the higher your multiplier is the easier it is to lose.  

It all seems to work nicely as later on it becomes a juggling act between stopping enemies escaping off the screen, filling your kill chain gauge and shooting down any saucers abducting your men.  And finding the best way to use your powerups to help in all that.

I can't put it off any more because there isn't really anything else to do, so I've got to tackle creating all the levels for the game now  BunnyMonkey!

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:39 PM »

I can't put it off any more because there isn't really anything else to do, so I've got to tackle creating all the levels for the game now  BunnyMonkey!
so you are going to have the levels preset?
do you think youll ever add a mode that is more random?
or will the normal mode still have some unpredictable elements?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #817 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

If you read back you'll see I'm still undecided.  I know what I'd like to do however I need to test it out first.

Ideally it would be randomly generated enemy waves but controlled by a strict set of rules to try and balance the gameplay.  Much like the way Echoes levels and enemy waves are generated.

A totally random mode wouldn't really work as certain combinations of enemies just don't work well together. 

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #818 on: October 09, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »

It appears I might have to rename 1982.  Apparently they don't like you using numbers for game names in the Creators Club because it's seen as "gaming the system" ie. getting your game near the top of the alphabetical list.

I'm expecting games beginning with "A" to be banned next  Tongue

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 09, 2009, 08:19:49 PM »

If you read back you'll see I'm still undecided.  I know what I'd like to do however I need to test it out first.

Ideally it would be randomly generated enemy waves but controlled by a strict set of rules to try and balance the gameplay.  Much like the way Echoes levels and enemy waves are generated.

A totally random mode wouldn't really work as certain combinations of enemies just don't work well together.  
i was hopeing youd do something like that,
so only a set number of enemies can appear for each level, or however more complicated it can get! Cheesy (like having a system where all the enemies are so many points (i dont mean actual game points, i just wasnt sure what to call it. lol) and the stronger the enemy the more the points and there can only be so many points at one time in a level, and of course each level has a larger maximum number of points)
It appears I might have to rename 1982.  Apparently they don't like you using numbers for game names in the Creators Club because it's seen as "gaming the system" ie. getting your game near the top of the alphabetical list.

I'm expecting games beginning with "A" to be banned next  Tongue
that sucks,
why cant you just type the numbers (ie "nineteen eighty two" (or for the sequel "nineteen eighty 2" lol)), and on the title screen still have "1982",
or is that what you were already planning?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:23:06 PM by prince caro 19 » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #820 on: October 09, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »

i was hopeing youd do something like that,
so only a set number of enemies can appear for each level, or however more complicated it can get! Cheesy (like having a system where all the enemies are so many points (i dont mean actual game points, i just wasnt sure what to call it. lol) and the stronger the enemy the more the points and there can only be so many points at one time in a level, and of course each level has a larger maximum number of points)
That's pretty much it. Smiley  Each enemy has an assigned weighting and this is totaled up for all the active enemies.  If this total is less than the value set for that level then a new enemy is created.  The next enemy type is taken from a list though so it isn't entirely random.  This ensures I get the right distribution of enemy types and that everyone effectively experiences the same game.

There are a few other logic tests and balancing acts going on, but that's the gist of it.

that sucks,
why cant you just type the numbers (ie "nineteen eighty two" (or for the sequel "nineteen eighty 2" lol)), and on the title screen still have "1982",
or is that what you were already planning?
Well if it's not written in numeric form then it doesn't instantly scan as a date.  That's why that iconic arcade game wasn't called Nineteen Forty Two. Smiley

Anyway I'm looking into it.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 09, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »

Well if it's not written in numeric form then it doesn't instantly scan as a date.  That's why that iconic arcade game wasn't called Nineteen Forty Two. Smiley

Anyway I'm looking into it.
true, plus it takes longer to read! lol
maybe you can ask for it to still be "1942" but for it to be in the "N"'s
although, again, youve prolly already considerd it
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: October 10, 2009, 04:24:50 AM »

Maybe you can give it a cheesy title that will make nobody buy it anyway? Flashback: 1982?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #823 on: October 10, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

Maybe you can give it a cheesy title that will make nobody buy it anyway? Flashback: 1982?
Well it's a retro themed game so if I can't use numbers I'll name it in reference to those old school highscore name entry screens...AAA Wink

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #824 on: October 10, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

Yet more tweaking to the 1982 multiplier system  Tongue

Previously when you filled the kill chain meter a saucer appeared at the top of the screen (Space Invaders style) and when you killed this it dropped a Man and if he landed on the ground safely your score multiplier increased.  All very nice and clever, but it meant there wasn't a direct link between filling your kill chain meter and actually increasing your multiplier.  Often you would fill the gauge and it was several seconds before your multiplier increased and that's assuming that poor Man wasn't killed before he landed  BunnyMonkey!

Anyway I've ditched all that and now the multiplier goes up as soon as you fill the kill chain meter.  Not quite as clever but better from a gameplay viewpoint as your actions are now immediately rewarded.

Allowing X enemies to escape still results in one of your men being abducted by a saucer though so the rather neat "kill the saucer & rescue the man to save your multiplier" mechanism is still in there.  Kang-a-roo!

Also previously when you picked up the rockets powerup your ship was equipped with 50 rockets.  This however encouraged the player to stop firing and save the rockets and that's not what I want here.  I want constant and mass destruction so now the rockets powerup arms the player with rockets for 10 seconds, therefore encouraging the player to do major damage as quick as possible.  Much better.

One of those little design tweaks that makes all the differences by channelling the player to play in the way the game is at its best. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: