binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606745 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »

Well Echoes+ seems to be about halfway through the Peer Review process so with any luck and no unforeseen problems, we might get a release before the end of the weekend.  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »

Not been doing any work on 1982 today as I've been preparing a few things for when Echoes+ finally launches.  BunnyMonkey!

The whole Peer Review process is generally very good, however it does have one pretty major drawback and that is that you have absolutely no idea when or even if your game will be released.  It could get enough reviews to be passed and released after 2 days or it could take a month.  Or worse, it could take a month and get rejected and then you have to go through the whole process again.

All of which makes timing any news updates or firing off a few emails to people who might give it a little coverage incredibly difficult.  You can't send them in advance giving a release date like most developers would because you simply don't know when that is.  So you have to do the majority of your promotion after release and as you could be buried deep within the hell of the 360's dashboard very quickly, you maybe only have a couple of days to grab potential customers attention.

It's not ideal.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

Been killing a bit of time making some authentic 80's sound fx using the excellent sfxr.  Getting some retro sounds in 1982 has improved the overall feel quite a bit.

I've also been experimenting with some old school speech synthesis although I'm still not sure how much of that to use yet.  It sounds crap but in cool way.  BunnyMonkey!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:21:18 AM by fog » Logged

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: October 17, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »

Been killing a bit of time making some authentic 80's sound fx using the excellent sfxr.  Getting some retro sounds in 1982 has improved the overall feel quite a bit.

I've also been experimenting with some old school speech synthesis although I'm still not sure how much of that to use yet.  It sounds crap but in cool way.  BunnyMonkey!
C64/Amiga style speech synth plox! Smiley

Though you can skip C64 style sound effects - SID music is great but oh god the sound effects are so often just white noise and beeps.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #844 on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »

C64/Amiga style speech synth plox! Smiley

Though you can skip C64 style sound effects - SID music is great but oh god the sound effects are so often just white noise and beeps.
Yup C64 style speech is the plan as is some proper SID music Smiley

You are right about the sound fx to a degree.  I personally think you got some great sounds around that time, however what I've found developing 1982 is that you have to be very careful how you use them otherwise it soon does turn into a wall of white noise. 

And that's proving a bit tricky TBH, as I've cranked up the amount of on screen destruction and consequently the number of sound fx it has gotten decidedly "noisy".

The speech might not be used in game at all.  I'm toying with the idea of doing an old school intro telling a cheesy background story complete with pixelated still screens and colour clash.

And I've also got to come up with some HUD design as that needs to display quite a bit of information considering how apparently simple the game is.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #845 on: October 18, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »

And Echoes+ has passed Peer Review.  I'm not sure how long it takes before it appears on the Marketplace, but it should be on XBox Live Indie Games any time now.

Kang-a-roo!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #846 on: October 19, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

And Echoes+ has passed Peer Review.  I'm not sure how long it takes before it appears on the Marketplace, but it should be on XBox Live Indie Games any time now.

Congratulations.   Grin

Must feel great to finaly get it out to the public.

I hope it sells really well.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #847 on: October 19, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

Cheers Masked Smiley  I'm being realistic so I doubt it will sell more than a handful of copies, but I've enjoyed making it.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 19, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »

I've bought my copy, well done Fog! Cheesy
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #849 on: October 20, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »

Thanks JDog Smiley

Note to self:  The 360's dashboard crapifies your box art so in the case of E+ the title is virtually unreadable and the developers name is unreadable.  I'll have to change them if ever I do an update. 

It's crazy that you can't change little things like that without having to go through the Peer Review process and have your whole game tested again. Why doesn't it just keep track of what you've changed and only ask reviewers to check those items?  Tongue

Additional:  Make sure you have all your release material, website updates etc ready weeks in advance.  In the couple of weeks before release I've been too busy playtesting and Peer Reviewing other peoples games to make proper preparations for my own release, so now I'm playing catch-up.  Another lesson learned.  Tongue

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »

you released it! congrats.
ill have to convince my friends to buy it....... speaking of which when can we expect that pc version (or are you still only one person? lol) so i can brag to them that i didnt need to buy it? (ill get them to buy it the day before you release it on pc!) lol

and i think you might have to change the "coming soon to xbox 360 indie games"........... if its not on your to do list already.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #851 on: October 21, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

you released it! congrats.
ill have to convince my friends to buy it....... speaking of which when can we expect that pc version (or are you still only one person? lol) so i can brag to them that i didnt need to buy it? (ill get them to buy it the day before you release it on pc!) lol
Thanks Smiley  I'm not putting any time scale on the PC version of E+ other than to say it wont be this side of Christmas.

I need to decide where it falls on my list of priorities and as there's already a freeware version out there, that's not terribly high ATM Smiley

and i think you might have to change the "coming soon to xbox 360 indie games"........... if its not on your to do list already.
Hopefully today.  So much to do Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #852 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »

E+ is currently the best selling game on the Japanese Indie Games marketplace.  Just my bloody luck there's only five 360's in the whole of Japan  Tongue

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

lol.
you made a Japanese version!?
well congrats then, even if theres not many 360 owners there, its still quite an accomplishment.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #854 on: October 21, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »

lol.
you made a Japanese version!?
well congrats then, even if theres not many 360 owners there, its still quite an accomplishment.
Nope it's not a Japanese version, just the English one released on the Japanese Marketplace.

I know one thing.  Now that I know how many copies the best selling game on the Japanese Indie Games service sells I wont be wasting any time with translations in the future either  Grin

It's great that we can sell stuff across there and even better that people are buying it, but the size of the market means it's just not worth any extra effort unfortunately.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: