binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606923 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 21, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

I had a German fried of mine compliment the game! its doing good. The only critiscism I/You keep getting from people is about online leaderboards...was bound to happen, eh lol Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #856 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »

I had a German fried of mine compliment the game! its doing good. The only critiscism I/You keep getting from people is about online leaderboards...was bound to happen, eh lol Wink
Yeah I'm looking into it again, trying to figure out how I can get 24 leaderboards to update reasonably reliably.

As I mentioned earlier in the blog I already have code to handle the online leaderboards (untested) which I plan on using in 1982, but I'll see about using it in E+ too.  I don't want to do anything with it though until I'm happy that it's as fast and reliable as it can be and that it doesn't effect gameplay in any way (slowdown etc).

And as this is the first online XNA stuff I've done and I have no way of testing it properly, which is a big problem, I'm not rushing into releasing anything.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #857 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »

Well I have new file handling routines and menu system back in place in Echoes+ to handle online scores if I can get them working satisfactorily.  Now to drop the online code itself in and see what happens.  This could be interesting....not necessarily in a good way though  Tongue

1982 is obviously taking a back seat while I'm doing this, however the online code is in there too so if I get it working in E+ then 1982 benefits too.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #858 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:47 PM »

Family staying over so no progress to report today.  Although I can give you a review of the new Wizards of Waverly Place Movie if you like?  No? Grin

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #859 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »

And I'm back on the case again.  Hopefully I'll get a little time tonight to continue looking into the issue of online high scores. What fun.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #860 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »

Still working away on integrating this online highscore code for E+.

As well as the obvious network traffic there is also a lot of data sorting and file access going on.  Once the highscore data has been received it needs to be combined with the players existing data, sorted into highscore order, duplicates removed and then the new data saved to disk.

All fairly straightforward, but it obviously needs to be done without effecting gameplay in any obvious way.  Doing an extensive sorting routine or saving a huge chunk of data mid-game is going to result in noticeable slowdown so that's obviously a bad idea.  So yeah, where all this takes place is fairly critical.  Of course if I didn't have 25 different highscore tables to updtae it would have been an awful lot easier  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #861 on: October 29, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »

In 1982 news it looks like I might not have to change the name after all as common sense has broken out over at The Creators Club (if you discount Paul's comments that is Wink )  It appears most people have realised there aren't really any benefits to naming a game to appear high on an alphabetically sorted list as nobody ever browses like that anyway.

Right, back to this online highscore code.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #862 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

Hmm, debugging and testing this LIVE global highscore code is proving to be a seriously tricky.

For proper testing I can easily upload the game and get one of the merry band of playtesters to run it at the same time as me to make sure the two machines exchange score data properly, however that's no good when I'm just doing general code development where I need to test new code every couple of minutes.

You can fudge a test environment using a PC, but aside from that being a bit of a pain to do, I'd be a lot happier if I could see it working Xbox to XBox.  Two 360's, two Gold memberships, two Creators Club memberships?  Not going to happen.  Tongue

I don't normally like doing a proper playtest until I'm pretty much finished something.  In this case I'm going to have to make an exception.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »

Real life and health issues mean I've had to have a few days break from dev work, but I'll hopefully get back to it this weekend.

I've got to the point where I'm exchanging, sorting and saving highscore data ok and now I need to move when those routines are kick in so that it all happens in the background and at a time which can't in any way effect gameplay. 

Getting basic data exchange working is a relatively easy process, it's getting that working for 25 different leaderboards seamlessly that's the major challenge.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »

I've got to the point where I'm exchanging, sorting and saving highscore data ok and now I need to move when those routines are kick in so that it all happens in the background and at a time which can't in any way effect gameplay. 

Getting basic data exchange working is a relatively easy process, it's getting that working for 25 different leaderboards seamlessly that's the major challenge.

It's invaluable experience though.

I imagine once you get it all working well, you won't have to code it again for future projects.   Grin

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #865 on: November 07, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »

I imagine once you get it all working well, you won't have to code it again for future projects.   Grin
Yup that's my motivation in truth.  It will be nice to have leaderboards in Echoes+, however I'm really more interested in having it as a standard feature in all future releases and I've building in the flexibility to allow that.

Much like menu code etc. it's horrible to write, but at least you only have to do it once. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #866 on: November 10, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »

BunnyMonkey!

You know when something works and the next time you try it it doesn't even though you haven't changed anything?  Two days wasted trying to find out why two E+ games refuse to connect to each other to share highscore data.

Removing bits of code, rewriting other bits and nothing would work.  I'm just at the point where I'm going to delete all the online code and start again when I try it one last time again today and it all works fine.  WTF happened there!

At least I know it wasn't a code problem and can only assume it was some kind of WLAN, firewall or LIVE issue.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

How strange, my advice, get a coffee, get some food and take a break Wink Then get back to it with fresh eyes!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #868 on: November 10, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »

How strange, my advice, get a coffee, get some food and take a break Wink Then get back to it with fresh eyes!
I did all that but I new it wasn't anything I'd done so it didn't help.  Anyway it works now and I guess we'll never know what the problem was. Smiley

It's back exchanging scores ok but it still needs tweaking so that it doesn't do any intensive operations that could cause slowdown during gameplay.... then we can do a proper test.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 10, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »

To save your workload a tad, couldn't you just restrict the leaderboards to one competetive strand? Actually, scratch that never mind...

Glad its working again!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: