binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606493 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #885 on: November 23, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

Just about to start testing that global highscore code for Echoes+ (and all future Indie Games titles).  I did a couple of tweaks last night that seemed to speed the transfer process up a bit.

Updating all 25 highscore tables in the background certainly isn't instant which I knew was always going to be the problem, but it's far better than nothing....which I wasn't always convinced about.

Also there are only really 24 highscore tables in the game (6 game modes x 4 difficulties) however I've added a Zoot one too so you can compare your Zoot progress with other players.  Other than the additional challenge, Zoots obviously don't count for anything in the way Achievements do, so hopefully the addition of a "highscore" table for them will encourage a bit of rivalry (*)

(*) I've always thought there should be something similar for Achievements TBH with a leaderboard for who has the most in each game and how many people have unlocked each one.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #886 on: November 24, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »

It's also a great way to get feedback on the game.   Grin

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #887 on: November 24, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

Very true.  At least I'll see which game modes are most popular, whether I got the difficulty settings right or whether people prefer playing on something other than Normal.

Actually knowing what game modes are most popular will be most helpful for future projects. I doubt I'll do another one with 6 different modes again like Echoes+ but I want to include a few modes in 1982 so I'll probably use their popularity in E+ as a guide.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »

Very true.  At least I'll see which game modes are most popular, whether I got the difficulty settings right or whether people prefer playing on something other than Normal.

Actually knowing what game modes are most popular will be most helpful for future projects. I doubt I'll do another one with 6 different modes again like Echoes+ but I want to include a few modes in 1982 so I'll probably use their popularity in E+ as a guide.
i think my favorite game modes were the asteroid belt and meteor storm modes,
although i agree with what one of the critics said about those ones feeling more like mini games,
they were still very original, and intense,
but i think it would have been cool to unlock one or more of them via zoot's like crack (sadly as much as i love echoes i havent got nearly as much zoots as i imagine would be the norm, so im nowhere near unlocking it the "normal way" Wink ) in the first one,
games that award the player are always nice, and it gives the player an incentive to play,
with so many game modes i havent been sure why one of them isnt unlockable (well, as far as i know non of them are unlockable, i might just be a complete idiot).
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »

That seems like a very good way of doing things Fog. I personally play Echoes, Time Attack and my favourite Survivor the most. Though as a break I play the others, but not competitively.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #890 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

but i think it would have been cool to unlock one or more of them via zoot's like crack (sadly as much as i love echoes i havent got nearly as much zoots as i imagine would be the norm, so im nowhere near unlocking it the "normal way" Wink ) in the first one,
games that award the player are always nice, and it gives the player an incentive to play,
with so many game modes i havent been sure why one of them isnt unlockable (well, as far as i know non of them are unlockable, i might just be a complete idiot).
Don't get me started on locking game modes.  I did it for Crack but I wont be doing it again.  Unlockable weapons or graphics modes etc fair enough, but not game modes.  I hate that.

i think my favorite game modes were the asteroid belt and meteor storm modes,
I personally play Echoes, Time Attack and my favourite Survivor the most.
Well I must be doing something right if people have different favourite modes.  Either that or they are all equally crap Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #891 on: November 25, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »

I think the Zoot Global High Score screen is suffering from information overload.  Tongue  Oh well at least it does hat it's supposed to do.

[attempt to post No.4....bastard Internet]

* ZootHi.jpg (199.18 KB, 768x432 - viewed 434 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #892 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »

Nice looking score table.  Smiley

Reminds me alot of Jeff Minters stuff.   Grin

Whats the maximum number of entries it can accomodate ?

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #893 on: November 27, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Whats the maximum number of entries it can accomodate ?
There isn't a maximum.  And when you remember there are 25 different highscore tables all of which have to be exchanged using P2P you can see why I've done a load of optimisation and testing on this.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 27, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

Its looking good. Downloading it as we speak.... Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #895 on: December 07, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »

Long time no update.  BunnyMonkey!

Well "real" work and a long term illness didn't make for good coding conditions over the last week, but I think I'm ready to pick up the reigns again.

As usual during my down time I've been jotting down a few ideas for some mini games I can knock up using the engine Echoes+ was written on.  As time is so limited right now it makes sense to tackle much smaller projects rather than some of the larger ideas I have that would take a year to write under current conditions.

So taking a little inspiration from my current 1982 project I've been thinking up a few game ideas based on really old classics (stuff like Space Invaders, Defender etc.) and I think I have a few good ideas to work with.  Nothing too innovative, just slight twists and a bit of updating to the originals.

With some interesting scoring systems that good players can exploit and the new global highscore system in place then they could work really well.....if you like that sort of thing  BunnyMonkey!

The current aim is to get one of those finished over the Christmas week I have off work and for once that's one deadline I think I can make.  Kang-a-roo!

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 07, 2009, 07:40:45 PM »

Long time no update.  BunnyMonkey!

Well "real" work and a long term illness didn't make for good coding conditions over the last week, but I think I'm ready to pick up the reigns again.

As usual during my down time I've been jotting down a few ideas for some mini games I can knock up using the engine Echoes+ was written on.  As time is so limited right now it makes sense to tackle much smaller projects rather than some of the larger ideas I have that would take a year to write under current conditions.

So taking a little inspiration from my current 1982 project I've been thinking up a few game ideas based on really old classics (stuff like Space Invaders, Defender etc.) and I think I have a few good ideas to work with.  Nothing too innovative, just slight twists and a bit of updating to the originals.

With some interesting scoring systems that good players can exploit and the new global highscore system in place then they could work really well.....if you like that sort of thing  BunnyMonkey!

The current aim is to get one of those finished over the Christmas week I have off work and for once that's one deadline I think I can make.  Kang-a-roo!
sounds cool,
will this mini game be for 360 or pc on release? or both?
im looking forward to playing another one of youre games soon Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #897 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

will this mini game be for 360 or pc on release? or both?
360 version first with PC version to follow some time as with E+ and 1982.

For the PC versions I need to spend some time writing the necessary routines to handle various input devices etc.  Once I have those then anything I write will work on both the 360 and PC without any extra work allowing for simultaneous releases.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 08, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »

For the PC versions I need to spend some time writing the necessary routines to handle various input devices etc.  Once I have those then anything I write will work on both the 360 and PC without any extra work allowing for simultaneous releases.
so once you do write the routines there will be a huge clump of pc games released then?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #899 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »

For the PC versions I need to spend some time writing the necessary routines to handle various input devices etc.  Once I have those then anything I write will work on both the 360 and PC without any extra work allowing for simultaneous releases.
so once you do write the routines there will be a huge clump of pc games released then?
Effectively yes.  They will still need very slight tweaks to the game code (eg: to allow for mouse controls) and some playtesting, otherwise it will be a very quick conversion progress.

First I need to write those extra PC routines though and I can only really start that once I've finished my current projects.  Duck!

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: