binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605245 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #900 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

So going back to my musings on writing a series of quick mini games based on revamped classics, are there any I'm missing?

I have:

Space Invaders - probably next after 1982 - already fully designed (in my head anyway)
Asteroids (again  Tongue ) - probably based on my ideas for the full version of Crack
Centipede - I have a number of ideas for this although they might turn into 2 separate games
Defender - no ideas I'm truly happy with for this yet

Then I need to think of a name for the series....Binary Huh?? maybe.  Tongue

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #901 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »

BinaryZoo's Digital Antiques Series.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »

So going back to my musings on writing a series of quick mini games based on revamped classics, are there any I'm missing?

I have:

Space Invaders - probably next after 1982 - already fully designed (in my head anyway)
Asteroids (again  Tongue ) - probably based on my ideas for the full version of Crack
Centipede - I have a number of ideas for this although they might turn into 2 separate games
Defender - no ideas I'm truly happy with for this yet

Then I need to think of a name for the series....Binary Huh?? maybe.  Tongue
well i guess those are the most famous shooters though tbh i never really liked any of those,
my favorite classic shooters are the more complicated ones like missile command, contra,  battlezone, battle city aka tank battalion.

i dont think defender really needs much added to it, as its already complicated,
but playing it as a dual stick shooter would be cool,
i havent played a side scrolling dual stick shmup.

i dont know what you'd call them, binary pets?
binary minis? jk Smiley
binary classics?
does the series even have to have a name?
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #903 on: December 14, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »

The Binary Zoo Retro Arcade Series   Grin

Don't forget the classic game Thrust.  Would love to play a BZ update of this classic.  Or was that Tension ?

Also, many many years ago, in a local chippy i used to frequent, there used to be an arcade machine called "Isis".  Which i also called my first C64 shoot em up by the way.

This game Isis was basically a pacman shoot em up with a bit of snake thrown in for good measure.  As far as i can rememeber.

Wonder about the pacman style maze, shooting enemies, collecting the dots which made your snake grow longer.  I was really addicted to it at the time.

I'd love to see a Pac em up style of game along similar lines.

A maze shoot em up might be an interesting way to progress the arena shoot em up genre.   Grin

TMC
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:57:56 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 14, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

Wow awesome, I'm interested in doing something very similar to that (pretty sure I posted about it too Wink) As for a name... then Binary Classics seems to stick out quite nicely.

If you need any help with anything, i'll be glad to offer it Chris!  Cool
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #905 on: December 14, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »

my favorite classic shooters are the more complicated ones like missile command...
Complicated...Missile Command...does not compute Wink

I'd forgot about that one though.  Maybe I'll stick it on a list of possibles if I can think of something interesting to do with it.

I'd love to see a Pac em up style of game along similar lines.

A maze shoot em up might be an interesting way to progress the arena shoot em up genre.   Grin
I've had one "designed" for years now but never got around to it because I've never had the necessary background routine. Smiley

The current plan is:
- release a few quick titles using the game engine as it exists now.
- add a block based background/map system
- develop a couple of titles with that (like that Pac Man and Bangai O-Spirits inspired shmup ideas)
- add a non block based/vector background system
- develop a couple of titles (Tension, onyx etc.)

That way I get more regular releases while still devloping the game engine to have all the features I want.

As for a name... then Binary Classics seems to stick out quite nicely.
I like it but I might avoid any mention of "Classics" otherwise people will be slightly disappointed to find out they aren't clones of the originals but bastardised versions Smiley

If you need any help with anything, i'll be glad to offer it Chris!  Cool
Thanks.  I'm tempted to upload the spritesheets for the games and letting people design their own graphics sets if anyone is interested.  My game engine already handles skinning really easily so I could drop a few graphics sets in as user options.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #906 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »

Sounds like a sensible plan.

I'm still waiting for the pc port of echoes+ though.

Are you still planning any pc ports or do you want to crack on and get some other games under your belt ?

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #907 on: December 15, 2009, 03:00:24 PM »

Are you still planning any pc ports or do you want to crack on and get some other games under your belt ?
Oh yeah that's still the plan.

As mentioned earlier, when I've finished my current couple of tasks I'll start work on the necessary extra routines required for PC games (different resolution & controller support etc.).

E+ is perfectly playable now on PC provided you don't mind running it at 1280x720 and have a 360 joypad.  Tongue

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »

Oh yeah that's still the plan.

As mentioned earlier, when I've finished my current couple of tasks I'll start work on the necessary extra routines required for PC games (different resolution & controller support etc.).

E+ is perfectly playable now on PC provided you don't mind running it at 1280x720 and have a 360 joypad.  Tongue
one thing i was wondering about E+ on pc,
is it going to be freeware, a "pay what you want" system, or the same price as 360?
*ahem* same price as it is on the 360? Smiley
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:34:11 PM by prince caro 19 » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #909 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »

one thing i was wondering about E+ on pc,
is it going to be freeware, a "pay what you want" system, or the same price as 360?
*ahem* same price as it is on the 360? Smiley
Undecided yet.  If it isn't freeware then the price will be very much be dependent on what distribution sites, if any, it goes on.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #910 on: December 29, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »

Well I've got a week off work for Christmas so I've finally gotten back to doing some dev work.  It's the longest break I've had from coding for a long time and it takes a while to pick up exactly where you were up to when you have several projects on the go at once.  Tongue

Anyway I want to do some playtesting on 1982 so I've decided to get that properly playable first.  All it really needs is some sort of structure to the way the enemy attack waves are created as so far that's been totally random.    I didn't want to spend ages defining each and every wave for the entire game (as I did with DUO) but I didn't want it to be in any way random either as that's not fair in a score attack game where one player could benefit from easier enemies.

Anyway that means I'm essentially using a similar system to that in E+ (Not plain old Echoes as that did have a random element) although 1982 has about 20 different enemy types so will need a little more work than E+ did.  That's not quite as time consuming as it sounds as the different waves for all 10 levels of E+ only took 3 lines of code  Smiley

So that structure to handle that in place and I'll knock up a few levels for testing tomorrow  BunnyMonkey!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:08:21 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #911 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »

Have you thought about adding some AI to your enemies ?

Might be an interesting alternative to random generation or pre defined attack waves.

TMC
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 30, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »

Yay, that tommorrow is now today! Woohoo. Looking forward to testing when and when ready Wink.

As for structure, you could plan it so that different things happen at different times depending on type. So the UFO could compliment the Alien swarms and stuff like that. Then depending on when the main triiggers spawn, you just organise responses to that. Hope my garbled explanation helped you (its what i'm planning on doing anyway!).
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #913 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »

Have you thought about adding some AI to your enemies ?

Might be an interesting alternative to random generation or pre defined attack waves.
Yeah I'll add some form of AI to the game engine at some stage.  Right now the sort of retro arcade style games I'm writing don't really require it yet though. Luckily Smiley

Well I've added an extra few options to the level data for 1982.  There are only 4 different powerups but each has 2 very different uses and this plays a major part in tactics so I've added the option to define which powerups appear on which levels.  So instead of taking everything out with rockets you might have to make clever use of lasers instead (all of which makes a lot more sense if you've played it  Tongue )

This does means the levels need to be designed a bit more carefully to make the enemy types and available powerups balance the difficulty and fun factor nicely but it's worth it.

Right now my aim is to make a lot of relatively short levels that only last about 20 seconds each.  With a basic arcade shmup repetition is a potential problem so I'm aiming to keep the pace high and change things up from level to level....well as much as I can with fairly limited variable elements to play with Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #914 on: January 03, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

OK, why are the buttons on my Bluetooth mouse not working any more? I can't do pixel artwork using the touchpad and I can't do it using a mouse with no functioning buttons so I'm currently using the mouse to move the pointer and the buttons on the touchpad.  It's more than a little confusing  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: