binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606300 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 03, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »

Any pixel art I can help you with? send me a pm if your interested Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #916 on: January 03, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

Any pixel art I can help you with? send me a pm if your interested Wink
Thanks.  I've completely changed the effect of one of the powerups in 1982 so just needed some new graphics for that.  Nothing too complicated....it was just a pain to do  Tongue

The old powerup effect was an explosion type thing, but I also have another that's fairly similar so I'm going for something entirely different now with an "enemy freeze" type effect.  I just need to code that now.

At least I have 10 levels built now for testing when this new powerup effect is coded.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 03, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »

That sounds cool!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #918 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »

And now that I've finished my little bit of pixel work my Bluetooth mouse buttons have decided to work again.  Go figure  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #919 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »

Just managed to squeeze in a little coding this week.

I did though have enough time to finish coding the new "freeze" powerup....although the length of time it acts for may need tweaking during testing.

Unlike the other powerups the Freeze powerup's use isn't really offensive, but more defensive.  It's main purpose being to stop enemies long enough for you to kill them before they reach the bottom of the screen.

This is important in 1982 because enemies "escaping" off the screen reduce your score multiplier so the Freeze powerup is really of most tactical use to those interested in score chasing and not those interested in mindless violence....although there are a few other powerups to keep them happy too  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #920 on: January 17, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »

Virtually zero progress this week due to real work and stuff.  Frustrating.  BunnyMonkey!

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #921 on: January 17, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »

fog needs to get sick again
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #922 on: January 17, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »

fog needs to get sick again
Trust me he doesn't.

FWIW I still am sick, it's a long term thing, which is why returning to work even part time has had such an impact on my dev time.  When I'm not working I'm too tired to do anything else.  Things should get better with time Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »

A long term illness is a real cross to bare.

Makes the games you produce even more impressive.

Still.  Your health comes first.  You don't appreciate it unti you lose it.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #924 on: January 18, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »

Still.  Your health comes first.  You don't appreciate it unti you lose it.
That's very true.  A couple of years ago I was fit and exercised 3 or 4 nights a week.....now I can barely manage a flight of stairs without needing 1/2 hour to recover  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #925 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Well I plan on doing a little dev work this weekend so fingers crossed I get the chance.

I've had plenty of time to think over game design though during my enforced development break.  Probably too much time TBH  Tongue  I'd been mulling over what to do with regards to difficulty in 1982.  It's an old school inspired shmup, but I'd implemented an energy system as opposed to a traditional life system.  An energy based system seemingly a popular feature in my previous shmups as it makes them more accessible (to the horror of the hardcore)

In this case though I've never been 100% convinced that it felt right here.  So rather than having 3 different difficulty settings all using an energy system, I'm going to experiment with using energy for the normal difficulty and lives for the hard setting.

That should lead to some interesting difficulty balancing problems for me to sort out.  Tongue

And it also renders my "energy+" powerup useless in the difficulty setting that uses lives so I'll have to think of an alternative use for that.  Probably some kind of extra life gauge powerup instead.

Also because 1982 is perfectly playable using keys, I can do some PC playtesting soon too without the need for me to write a joypad config app first as is required for Echoes+.  Result.  That opens up playtesting to people who don't have the necessary XBox360 gubbins and will be a big help for me. Smiley

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 29, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »

In this case though I've never been 100% convinced that it felt right here.  So rather than having 3 different difficulty settings all using an energy system, I'm going to experiment with using energy for the normal difficulty and lives for the hard setting.

That should lead to some interesting difficulty balancing problems for me to sort out.  Tongue

And it also renders my "energy+" powerup useless in the difficulty setting that uses lives so I'll have to think of an alternative use for that.  Probably some kind of extra life gauge powerup instead.
well as long as you have maybe 3 or more other power ups i think you could get away with leaving one out in the hard difficulty.

or you could just add the ability to turn off the energy system (/turn on the traditional lives system) as opposed to just adding the ability in hard,
it would obviously make it more difficult, so one can see alot of problems with that idea, but i think you could get around that simply by making whether or not energy was enabled one of the statistics on the score board,
if you were to do that then i cant see any problem with an optional "traditional lives system". 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:20:33 PM by prince caro 19 » Logged
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #927 on: January 30, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »

That opens up playtesting to people who don't have the necessary XBox360 gubbins and will be a big help for me

Woot Woot   Cheesy

I think most people would opt for the Energy system simply because it would allow users to progress further in the game.

An energy system is much more forgiving to the player.

I've always found the tradional lives system very frustrating.  Partly because of poor game design, but because i hate an instant death.  At least with an energy system you are pre warned.

One of the things i hate about the recent Armalyte remake is that it's instant death.   Sad

Maybe run a poll on a shoot em up forum somewhere to find out what people think.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #928 on: January 30, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »

well as long as you have maybe 3 or more other power ups i think you could get away with leaving one out in the hard difficulty.
Well each of the powerups have two uses and the other use for this powerup is fairly important to the gameplay so dropping it altogether isn't really an option I want to take.  I think I'm happy with using it for extra lives instead of an energy top up (in a collect 10 for an extra life kind of way)

Maybe run a poll on a shoot em up forum somewhere to find out what people think.
I know the answer already. Smiley  99% of the shmup hardcore absolutely hate an energy based system, but as I've said before I'm not too bothered about that because I'm not really writing games aimed at them (if they like them that's a bonus).

Like you I prefer a more forgiving energy based system and that's why I write games like that.  And, from what I hear, the majority of other gamers prefer that too.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 31, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »

This may sound like wierd thing to say but... I don't think you need a hard difficulty  Shocked if the game works and plays fine with an energy based system, then why go completely against that with a life based system?

although as an experiment, i'm all for it! and in essence it would be a completely different game. You could probs get awa with not making it harder per-se but just having the lives and removing the "energy+" upgrade and you should be good to go!

opinion based entirely upon not playing the game Wink

I also LOVE the energy system, its more forgiving, hence more fun!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: