binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 05:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607238 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #930 on: January 31, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »

This may sound like wierd thing to say but... I don't think you need a hard difficulty  Shocked if the game works and plays fine with an energy based system, then why go completely against that with a life based system?

although as an experiment, i'm all for it! and in essence it would be a completely different game.
That's where I'm coming from.  I'm not tempted to put in the Lives game mode just because it would provide a hard difficulty option, but because it would almost add an entirely new game mode.  A mode that I can see a lot of people thinking is more in keeping with the retro nature of the game Smiley

As with all things though it's all a theory until I get some much needed testing done.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #931 on: April 18, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »

Whoop....I made a little progress last night.  Kang-a-roo!

It actually took me a while to pick up where I was up to so lets recap a bit.  I'm currently working on 1982 which is a small, fixed screen shmup with a very retro theme.  Lots of old arcade inspired enemies from Invaders and Galaxian to Asteroids etc.  Simple pixelated graphics so no neon, motion blur etc to be seen and graphics that would look dated on a C64 (or Spectrum if you were unlucky enough not to have the best 80's home computer Wink )

Gameplay wise it's nothing complicated with only the way the powerups are used is remotely original (although I doubt it actually is) as they each have a couple of different uses which can be triggered in different ways and there's also a new take on the whole "human abduction" gameplay element seen in Defender.

The only really major thing I still had to do was design all the different attack waves for the different levels, although I have a few quick ones in there for testing purposes.

Recap over  BunnyMonkey!

One of the advantages  Tongue of taking an enforced break is seeing things from a slightly different perspective when you fire them up for the first time in a while so yesterday I did a bit more tweaking.

The biggest change was to the way the Saucers enter at the top of the screen.  The Saucers drop the important powerups when shot and they used to enter slowly at the top of the screen and slowly move down, but this meant they were often barely visible at the top of the screen when shot by the player.  Now for normal enemies that's not a problem, but in 1982 there are times when you might want to drop powerups at specific times and under the existing system it was too easy to accidentally do that.  Now, after tweaking, the Saucers enter by flying quickly down from the top of the screen for a short distance before reverting to their previous slow advance down the screen.  It's a very small change but it means they are always clearly visible to the player and targeting them can be more deliberate.

Unfortunately as none of you have played it yet the relevance of that change will be lost....heh, oh well  Tongue

Also now that all the gameplay features are in place I've been able to come up with and initial list of Zoo Trials.  I was worried that the simple fixed screen nature of the game would mean a load of boring "score x" and "get to level y" type challenges, however the powerup and human abduction/rescue gameplay elements lend themselves to a nice variety of targets so I have 21 Zoots so far.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #932 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

Great to see you're back to coding again Fog.   Grin

And i hope your health issues have resolved themselves.

Any chance you can post some screenies ?

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #933 on: April 19, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »

And i hope your health issues have resolved themselves.
It's long term so just learning to live with it. Smiley

Any chance you can post some screenies ?
I'm not entirely sure of the final look yet, but before I do any project I always mock up a single pic of what I intend.  It's more to try and give a feel of the game and how it will play than how it will finally look though.

I think the mock-up for 1982 gives a nice feel of the game although it's old-school looks don't make for the best screenies Smiley

(The DUO mock-up is also posted somewhere too)

* mockup_1.jpg (54.47 KB, 640x360 - viewed 386 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #934 on: April 20, 2010, 09:40:58 AM »

Woa.

That really is retro looking.

And in complete contrast to your other games.

That mock up is looking very C64 / Vic 20 ish.  Which takes me back.   Smiley

I'm not entirely sure of the final look yet, but before I do any project I always mock up a single pic of what I intend.  It's more to try and give a feel of the game and how it will play than how it will finally look though.

Yeh, thats a good idea.  I tend to do that as well.

Nice to see a pic.  It's pretty difficult to visualise a project just by it's description alone.

Keep up the good work.

TMC

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »

It looks so old school! Then you see shit coming down at funny angles and that gives it away. Cheesy

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #936 on: April 20, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

Woa.

That really is retro looking.

And in complete contrast to your other games.

That mock up is looking very C64 / Vic 20 ish.  Which takes me back.   Smiley
Good, that's what I'm after Smiley  TBH looking at that mock-up I'm surprised at how little some of the graphics have changed although there's certainly a splash more colour now (from a limited 16 colour palette)

It looks so old school! Then you see shit coming down at funny angles and that gives it away. Cheesy
Yeah the pixelated look is a style thing, however I didn't want to be constrained by that completely as that would hinder gameplay so I've allowed for "funny angles" which in turn gives smoother movement.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »

dude ther's even massive blood spatter for old school! lol

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #938 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »

dude ther's even massive blood spatter for old school! lol
lol yeah although in this case that's not necessarily a good thing as they are the humans that you're supposed to be rescuing  BunnyMonkey!

Anyway speaking of those humans.....I've added a gravity system to my game engine now and all because I wanted to apply the effect to fx that's triggered when a human gets shot in 1982.  Tongue  Still, it will be a useful addition for future projects and I might even apply it to a couple more things in this game now that I have the system in place.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #939 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

I hate HUD's.  Why can't I make them all as minimalist as the one in mono.  Tongue

1982 has a lot of things that could be displayed in the HUD so I'm not trying to decide what info should and shouldn't be shown.

List of info and current thinking:

Gamertag - Yes
Gamerpic - No
Global Rank - Yes
Score - Yes
High Score - Yes
Multiplier - Yes
Multiplier Boost Gauge - Yes
Level - No (although there is no break between levels in which to show this so I might find space for it)
Energy / Lives - Yes
Current Weapon - No (you should be able to tell visually when you have the best weapon and that should be enough)
Missiles Active Timer - No

Even now there's a bit more info to display there than I really wanted.  For a very simple game that's a lot of on screen clutter.  And now I need to decide where to put it all  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »

Sounds like a busy HUD to me Fog, but every bit of info you've mentioned is fairly important. I'm sure you'll be alright.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #941 on: April 25, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »

Sounds like a busy HUD to me Fog, but every bit of info you've mentioned is fairly important. I'm sure you'll be alright.
Yeah "busy" is what I'm trying to avoid Smiley

Although there's an important difference between a HUD with lots of info on and a HUD with lots of info on that you have to read.  For example things like Gamertag might be displayed, but nobody is really going to read that mid game.  And other info such as Energy and the Multiplier Boost will be displayed in graphical form which is quicker to read.

With a bit of tweaking it should be ok

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #942 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »

Ok who had the bright idea to use chunky pixelated graphics?  I'm looking for a couple of new enemy types for 1982 and decided to lift one from Xevious (released in 1982 Smiley ) but now I have to recreate something similar in chunky pixels....and it requires animation.....basically everything I'm crap at  Tongue

I already have 20+ however a lot of them are very similar variations on a theme (as were most of the enemies in shmups in the early 80's) and something a bit different would be good.

Back to looking for inspiration.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #943 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »

Just a thought.

How about using Sfx, ( voice samples ) as a means to inform the player.  Instead of or to cut back on the Hud display.

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #944 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:49 AM »

Sell a serial port peripheral with LEDs to mount below the monitor to display the information. Obscure peripherals that make or break the game and are priced too highly would ruin your game - and that's /really/ 80s, so is a must for 1982.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: