binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606503 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #960 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »

Another feature bites the dust Smiley

There are 4 different power-up types in 1982 and if you don't collect them within a couple of seconds of them landing they burst into flames.  These flames used to burn for a few seconds and if the player moved through them they would have the reverse effect of the original powerup (ie. the health powerup would remove health instead of adding it and the weapon powerup would downgrade the players weapon instead of improving it).

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality avoiding them restricted your movement so much that you got pounded by bullets and enemies.  Inevitably then you ended up having to move through the flames taking what felt like an unavoidable cheap hit, something I don't like, so I've removed it and the flames are now merely a nice fx.

As an idea though I quite like it so I'll file it away for use in something more appropriate like an arena shooter where they are more easily avoided.

The joys of dynamic game design Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:03 PM »

i like it, if it doesn't work brush it under the carpet instead of fiddling for hours and hours trying to make it work Cool
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #962 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »

i like it, if it doesn't work brush it under the carpet instead of fiddling for hours and hours trying to make it work Cool
Oh I did spend hours trying to make it work.  I tried a few variations of the same idea over the months, but some ideas like the game modes I removed from Echoes+ just aren't suitable for certain games and best saved for somewhere else.

Anyway I think I've decided on a HUD layout that I like now so I just need to code that and we can get some feedback Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #963 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:18 PM »

Keeping the HUD within the Title Safe zone (the inner 80% of the screen) really is a pain in the arse.

Doubly so when I'm using chunky pixelated graphics meaning my icons and text can't be very small.

Triply so when I don't want any of my HUD to overlap the play area.

Quadruply so when I've stupidly make the play area almost fill the Title Safe zone.

I really didn't think that one through  Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »

What if you just have a key to hit that'll flash up a big, easy-to-read HUD when you need it? Like scoreboards in FPS.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #965 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41:17 AM »

Or simply use a higher res font and hud graphics.

I'm sure your screen res is fairly high anyway, and you're just using low res graphics.

So you could easily double the resolution of your hud graphics ( and halve the size, makiing for more room ), for instance, and still retain a fairly low res hud view.

It's a bit of a cheat as it's not strictly authentic, but hey, if it works.   Grin

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #966 on: May 06, 2010, 12:11:42 PM »

Regardless of what size font or res for the icons I used I'd still struggle to fit everything in without overlapping the play area somewhere.  Not being able to stick anything in that outer 10% of the screen on the 360 is a killer as anyone who has developed for it will tell you.  Luckily on the PC there are no such restrictions.

Anyway my solution is to narrow the play area a touch and the HUD now fits nicely.  Everything was coded relative to the play area boundaries so I just had to change one variable value and everything else adjusts automatically.  It may mean I need to rebalance the difficulty a touch to allow for the narrower play area, but as I hadn't finally tweaked the difficulty yet anyway it's no extra work.

Heh, when you rescue an abducted human he falls, lands on the ground and then runs towards the Score Multiplier display and increases it.  When I rearranged the HUD I moved the Multiplier Display to the other side of the screen so changed the code so the human ran in the opposite direction.  In my hurry I forgot to reverse the animation though so he ended up running backwards doing an unintensional but very decent impression of Michael Jacksons moonwalk.  Duck!

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »

In my hurry I forgot to reverse the animation though so he ended up running backwards doing an unintensional but very decent impression of Michael Jacksons moonwalk.  Duck!
It's not a bug, it's a feature! Smiley  Make 5% of rescued humans do a moonwalk anyway. Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #968 on: May 06, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

In my hurry I forgot to reverse the animation though so he ended up running backwards doing an unintensional but very decent impression of Michael Jacksons moonwalk.  Duck!
It's not a bug, it's a feature! Smiley  Make 5% of rescued humans do a moonwalk anyway. Smiley

Mo
I wonder if I can get clearance on a Billy Jean sample?  BunnyMonkey!

Anyhoo with the HUD finally in place this is looking and feeling like a proper game now (albeit not a very modern one Smiley ).

Previously I was just having fun aimlessly blasting, but now that I can see a proper representation of my score multiplier, remaining energy etc I'm playing in a more targeted way chasing that multiplier and topping up my energy as necessary.  It all seems to be coming together nicely.

Now to decide what game modes other than the main one to include...if any.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

Sounds sweet, and a moonwalk is definately a feature Smiley as for the game, simplicity i guess is its aim, i think another game mode might just clutter things up.

just my 2 cents Smiley sounding great so far Fog.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #970 on: May 07, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »

Sounds sweet, and a moonwalk is definately a feature Smiley as for the game, simplicity i guess is its aim, i think another game mode might just clutter things up.

just my 2 cents Smiley sounding great so far Fog.
Yeah my current thinking is that in this case one game mode is enough too alongside the 4 difficulty settings.

Just having that one mode would certainly make it easier for me to prove whether my online high score system works and can be included in other games or not.  That's proved to be impossible to test properly with the 25 different high score tables in Echoes+

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: May 08, 2010, 04:24:42 AM »

Aching to play this one. (Y)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #972 on: May 08, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

Aching to play this one. (Y)
Prepare for imminent disappointment Wink

Mainly just a few cosmetic changes today.  The main tweak being the position where the Saucers that are abducting humans launch from.  They fly up from the bottom of the screen so I needed to make sure they didn't crash straight into the players ship (I doubt players would appreciate that happening) To do this I was checking whether the players ship is on the left of right of the screen and just launching the Saucer from the other side.  Simple enough.

Unfortunately if several Saucers launch at once they fly up the screen in a line which, as well as looking a bit rubbish, essentially makes it impossible for the player to kill all the Saucers and rescue the humans.  And as any humans you don't rescue effect your multiplier that's a pretty harsh penalty for the player to suffer for something unavoidable.

Anyway the solution is simple enough as the saucers launch position is now randomised and I simply don't check for collisions with the player sprite any more so they can fly right through each other.

Another seemingly small but gameplay critical tweak.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #973 on: May 11, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »

What's your flavour?

* sprites.jpg (8.44 KB, 193x62 - viewed 285 times.)

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 11, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

They all have their charms though i'd say i prefer the middle one Smiley ofcourse if you've gone to enough effort to have 3 skins, why not make skinning an option?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: