binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605230 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #975 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »

Yeah as I've said before the game engine supports skinning and that's the plan.  Although if I can't come up with a bunch of appropriate alternative graphics then I wont put them in.  The ones in that pic are just examples and I haven't even tried them in game yet apart from the default middle one.

Right now I'm dropping in some more appropriate music and adding some speech.  This already has 3 times the number of sound fx I had in Echoes+ which is a bit crazy for something supposedly so retro.  Oh well.....creative license  BunnyMonkey!

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #976 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

Middle one (with disclaimer I can change my mind and back the winner when I see them moving!)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #977 on: May 12, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »

middle.

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »

Yeah thinkin' middle but they /all/ rock, liking the middle though because it's a fresher, more original look.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #979 on: May 12, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »

Thanks gents Smiley

Of course the old screenie on the Playtesting board shows that the middle option that you all picked is the current graphical style and will be the default....I'm just hoping that didn't influence the choices too much Smiley

I see if I can be arsed to come up with some more alternatives some time....

In other news the parallax mountains look like they will be biting the dust.  The chunky pixel look just doesn't work well with them especially in motion.

And regardless I still need to decide what to do with the rest of the background.  I'm still thinking of putting some Minter-esque colour cycling bars in there although I know that wont be to everyone's liking so I guess I better put an option in to switch that off

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #980 on: May 12, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

In other news the parallax mountains look like they will be biting the dust.  The chunky pixel look just doesn't work well with them especially in motion.

And regardless I still need to decide what to do with the rest of the background.  I'm still thinking of putting some Minter-esque colour cycling bars in there although I know that wont be to everyone's liking so I guess I better put an option in to switch that off
We might have discussed this before, but have you considered soft-shading (ie: blurring) the background? As in, use the chunky-pixel backgrounds, perhaps slow down the animation speed, use muted colours, and then apply a blur shader to the background before rendering the stuff in the foreground.

Cheers,
Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #981 on: May 12, 2010, 07:22:48 PM »

We might have discussed this before, but have you considered soft-shading (ie: blurring) the background? As in, use the chunky-pixel backgrounds, perhaps slow down the animation speed, use muted colours, and then apply a blur shader to the background before rendering the stuff in the foreground.

Cheers,
Mo

That's a possibility although I really am trying to stick to the proper pixelated look for everything because from the few things I've tried the more coherent look really does work better (as opposed to just sticking to it out of some artistic vision).

I'll get a demo up and maybe work on a few background options while waiting for some playtest feedback. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #982 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »

Quiz question.  What keys do PC users want to use for playtesting?  You only need Left, Right and Fire.

I know everyone has their own preference (eg.I hate using space) and as there is no menu option for changing the keys I'm going to hard code them for now.  No mouse control for now although I may add that.

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: May 17, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »

I tend to use: Left Arrow, Right Arrow, X

How much work would it be to add them to the options file so folks can hack them by hand?

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 17, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »

i'd like

LeftArrow, RightArrow, Space

but whatever you set it to, i'd get used to it instantly.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #985 on: May 17, 2010, 07:49:07 PM »

How much work would it be to add them to the options file so folks can hack them by hand?
That would involve me like um you know doing some work. Smiley  Yeah I could do that....keep forgetting it's PC and we have access to external files.

Runs off to see what keyboard commands there are in XNA as I've never looked.....

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #986 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »

arrow keys + z/x/c is the indie shmup standard, isn't it?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #987 on: May 18, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »

arrow keys + z/x/c is the indie shmup standard, isn't it?

That's always been my prefered setup.  Lefties might prefer an alternative though.

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: May 18, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »

No, us mutants grew up on that control scheme. We're used to it now. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #989 on: May 18, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »

No, us mutants grew up on that control scheme. We're used to it now. Smiley
I forgot you were one of those Wink

I still remember picking up a PS1 joypad for the first time and thinking I'd never get used to it with the d-pad on the left and buttons on the right.  10 years of using nothing but a joystick had convinced my brain the right hand should be used for movement and the left pressing buttons.  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: