binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606539 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »

That sounds like a great way to do things Fog Smiley if it means its easier to work with and more efficient then it sounds like a good step forward.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1021 on: June 10, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »

Are you still planning on implementing any background graphics ?
Possibly probably maybe I'm not sure.  I still have the parallax mountains in mentioned some time back however they wont stay as they look terrible....or more accurately just wrong in this game.

Not sure what will replace them if anything.  That's a cosmetic thing though so can wait Smiley

Meanwhile while building levels I've come to the realisation I need more shooting enemies.  Later levels will just be too easy without them.  And the 5 or 6 shooting enemy types I have don't give me enough options to get some variety into the levels where I need a lot of them.

Time to bang my head against the desk until I've designed some new shooting enemies then...

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

Maybe design like V2's of already made enemies and allow them to shoot with more varied patterns? like a spread shot or homing bullets and stuff?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1023 on: June 10, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »

Maybe design like V2's of already made enemies and allow them to shoot with more varied patterns? like a spread shot or homing bullets and stuff?
Possibly.  My first fix will be to convert some of my existing non firing enemies.  I have a stack of those, more than I really need, so giving a few more weapons seems logical.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1024 on: June 13, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

So I'm trying to get a bit more variety into the enemy attack waves in 1982 so that the whole thing doesn't look too samey as you progress.

So far my solution to this is to  keep designing more enemy types, but there does come a point where you can't just keep adding more and more types as you run out of ideas that fit with the game style.  And as my game style is intentionally simple that does kind of limit what enemies are appropriate.

Then you have one of those blindingly obvious ideas that every one else would spot immediately but you don't because you've got so wrapped up in the project you don't see it. (Please tell me I'm not the only one that has these moments Tongue)

I'm just trying to add a bit of visual variety so a load of new enemy types are unnecessary, all I really need to do is present the existing enemies in different formations.  Yeah, it really is that bloody obvious.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1025 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

Thats the trouble with being a lone developer.

Quite often it's hard to see the blindingly obvious.

As one example.

I remember firing up my Auto Cross Racing for my nephew to try.  He was about 7-8 at the time.

After crashing his way through the first few corners, he managed to crash through the barriers and break the game.

And this was after like, several months of playtesting by myself, thinking the game was in a complete finished state.

I just sat there, dumb founded and a bit embarrassed that i had missed something so obvious.

And having a forum for feedback is invaluable for lone developers.

Also remember, that some of the greatest games of all time, havn't had that much variety.

Space Invaders, Pacman, Defender ect.  In fact, looking back at most of the early genre creating games, variety wasn't really the issue at all.
It's only as hardware advanced and graphics improved that gamers and developers started demanding and creating more advanced games which allowed for alot of variety.

And since 1982 is Retro, i don't think that variety is too much of an issue either.

If the core gameplay is fun then keeping in with the retro theme, i don't see variety as a major issue.

But then, i havn't played the game and seen very little of it.  So, you are ther best judge.   Grin

And i've always wondered why you are reluctant to show your work throughout all stages of development.  For feedback.
Myself and Prime are always showing stuff, and no doubt filling up your server space with copious screenshots.  For feedback.
I'm sure showing work, no matter how early, saves alot of future issues that might arise.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1026 on: June 14, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »

I remember firing up my Auto Cross Racing for my nephew to try.  He was about 7-8 at the time.

After crashing his way through the first few corners, he managed to crash through the barriers and break the game.
My niece has played quite a bit of 1982 and enjoyed it although she does seem to take a worrying amount of pleasure from shooting the enemy saucers to free the human they had abducted...and the purposefully killing the human in a shower of blood.  Tongue

And i've always wondered why you are reluctant to show your work throughout all stages of development.  For feedback.
Myself and Prime are always showing stuff, and no doubt filling up your server space with copious screenshots.  For feedback.
I'm sure showing work, no matter how early, saves alot of future issues that might arise.
No real reason.  This forum thread was only ever meant to be temporary until I updated the main website to incorporate a proper blog which I'll do when 1982 is finished. And once that is up and running I'll have regular screenies and videos of my next project.

There was a screenie posted on the Playtest board about 6 months ago and it doesn't look a whole lot different to that so you haven't missed anything Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1027 on: June 15, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »

Current stat count is 32 different enemy types and 49 different attack wave formations/designs.  Although of the 32 different enemy types the only difference between some of them is that some fire, some don't and some move twice as fast as others.

Either way that's more than enough variety for an old school shmup.

I just need to test all the newly coded attack waves to make sure they aren't bugged and then I can start building some proper levels to replace the current ones that were only for testing purposes.

And now that I have a load more of those attack waves to play with that should make designing those levels a lot more enjoyable.  Trying to design progressively hard levels with only a handful of options was proving a touch difficult.  BunnyMonkey!

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1028 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:28 AM »

Then you have one of those blindingly obvious ideas that every one else would spot immediately but you don't because you've got so wrapped up in the project you don't see it. (Please tell me I'm not the only one that has these moments Tongue)

LOL all the time , all the freaking time. thats why i'm glad at work i have to get up and walk a round every hour .
but you know ih have the best solutions when i'm in no place to code them or note them down .
LOL go figure that , the sad notion that by the time you reach your destination you may have lost the simplistic core of your solution .. LOL

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

Its sounding very promising! Have fun designing levels.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1030 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »

Its sounding very promising! Have fun designing levels.
I'll try Smiley  As I've said before it's one of my pet hates and that's why I'm always looking for methods of avoiding doing it altogether.  Echoes+ being a good example of that Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1031 on: June 19, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

Just testing those newly coded attack waves now.

Also playing a bit more than normal testing requires so I can see how the various waves can be combined to good effect and just how difficult they are so that I don't throw in too many difficulty peaks.

Added to that I can also define which of the 4 powerup types are spawned on each level so I need to decide which powerup is most appropriate for dealing with each attack wave.  Certainly in the early levels anyway where I want to help the player discover what each powerup does and how best to use it (because we all know they wont be reading the instructions Smiley ).  In later levels I'll probably just spawn all 4 powerup types and let the player decide how best to use them.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1032 on: June 20, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »

Adding enemies that fire directly at the player has certainly spiced things up a bit although forgetting to add a delay between shots so they all fired 60x a second didn't do much for the difficulty  Tongue  Looked cool though!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1033 on: June 24, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »

I did a chunk of re-factoring / rearranging/ or in plain English "putting stuff right" last night.

When I started on my game "engine" I had my different object types separated (fx particles, bullets, enemies etc) so consequently I had a lot of little functions they needed also in separate classes so they could all access them.  As things have developed though I now have all game objects in a single class/list so it doesn't really make sense to have all this other stuff in a different class anymore consequently I've moved it into the game object class itself.  Much tidier and easier to read.  BunnyMonkey!

I also added a little mod to the enemies that fire directly at the player.  As they move down the screen their bullets get harder to avoid, not just because you have less time to react, but because of the angle they come at.  If you imagine an extreme case where the enemy is level with the ground and therefore the player, when it fires at the player the bullet will travel horizontally and as the player can only move horizontally the bullet is impossible to avoid.  Anyway a quick tweak was added to ensure they no longer fire at all when they get below a certain height.  Sorted.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 24, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »

Thats a much needed change, i don't want to get scuppered by a devious AI Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: