binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607206 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1035 on: June 25, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »

Thats a much needed change, i don't want to get scuppered by a devious AI Smiley
I nearly missed it completely TBH.  I've done quite a bit of testing with those enemies and the problem situation never occurred.  It was only when I upped the number of enemies in the formation and it became a harder to kill them all before they got right down the screen that I saw the problem.

And now, to attempt to further simplify the level creation process, I've changed the way difficulty effects things.  Now it essentially controls the quantity of enemies so, providing I've got the balancing right, I just tell it what type of attack wave should be created next and the difficulty influences exactly what makes up that wave.

For example say I call for a wave of "Invaders" then on Easy difficulty you get 1 row of enemies, whereas on hard you get 3 rows.

It's not quite as basic as that and there's a bit more maths than simply scaling all the enemy quantities up as in that example.  In some waves the difficulty will influence the type of enemies in the waves too.

All that's really important though is that the difficulty side of things should now be handles automatically meaning even less level design work for me.  At this rate they'll be creating themselves.  Tongue

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1036 on: June 28, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

Sounds cool.

Procedural generation in games does save an awful lot of work.

And it's getting more widespread now.

TMC
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »

Not really the easiest stuff to do but it sure is useful Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1038 on: June 28, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

Sounds cool.

Procedural generation in games does save an awful lot of work.

And it's getting more widespread now.
Yeah it is.  It's something you seem to know quite a bit more about than me Masked so have you thought about procedural generation of the levels in your current shmup?  I'd think the routes of the tunnels would be relatively straight forward and perfect for Procedural Generation, although generation of the attack waves might prove a bit trickier.

Another thing that's becoming increasingly popular in commercial games is User Generated Content and as I've mentioned before that's something I'd like to exploit at some time.  If I do my Bangai O Spirits inspired shmup next then I'll throw the level designer open for everyone to use.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1039 on: June 28, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »

Yeah it is.  It's something you seem to know quite a bit more about than me Masked so have you thought about procedural generation of the levels in your current shmup?  I'd think the routes of the tunnels would be relatively straight forward and perfect for Procedural Generation, although generation of the attack waves might prove a bit trickier.

I havn't really given it much thought to be honest with you.

It does open up the possibilities of an infinate number of levels though.

In fact, it throws up all sorts of possibilities.

I'll have to give it some serious thought.  As going down the procedural route changes the game quite alot from what i currently have planned.

Another thing that's becoming increasingly popular in commercial games is User Generated Content and as I've mentioned before that's something I'd like to exploit at some time.  If I do my Bangai O Spirits inspired shmup next then I'll throw the level designer open for everyone to use.

Yeh, i know.  It's almost expected nowadays.

Just look at the amazing success of Little Big Planet to see what a huge impact it can have.

I know that most people who play games, certainly my games, always have suggestions for changes they would like to see.

Unfortunately, most people don't understand whats involved in creating games.  it's one thing to have great ideas, it's entirely another to put them into practice.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1040 on: June 28, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

Now you've confused me.  I thought you only had net access in the mornings Smiley

I havn't really given it much thought to be honest with you.

It does open up the possibilities of an infinate number of levels though.

In fact, it throws up all sorts of possibilities.

I'll have to give it some serious thought.  As going down the procedural route changes the game quite alot from what i currently have planned.
Yeah it would certainly change things.  I know you planned on having a load of levels so maybe you could use Procedural Generation just to help out?  Maybe generate the maps using PG and then manually populate them with enemies? 

You could get it to generate many more maps than you really need and then just discard the ones you don't like?

Like you say, possibilities. Smiley

I know that most people who play games, certainly my games, always have suggestions for changes they would like to see.

Unfortunately, most people don't understand whats involved in creating games.  it's one thing to have great ideas, it's entirely another to put them into practice.
Very true.  And sometimes very unfortunate for those of us that do make games as everyone seems to think they know how to do it better.

I'll stop there Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 28, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

Very true indeed. People always get conused when i say "making a game is both easier and harder then you think". Thats my point though, someone may have a great idea but doing it is another thing. Still you've got to value feedback anyway, because if everyone reccommends a fix or an idea then its what people want which makes targetting easier since your audience are dangling clues. Which is why i'm concentrating so hard now on getting builds out there!
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1042 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »

Now you've confused me.  I thought you only had net access in the mornings

Haha.

Very observant.   Grin

I bought myself mobile broadband on a usb stick yesterday so i can use internet at home now.  Just plug in the usb stick and away you go.  And it only cost 25.

The connection is pretty good where i am, being in the town centre and in fact it looks to be faster than the library computers i was using.   Tongue

I'm on a pay as you go package, ie, i'm limited to 3gb bandwidth a month and i can top up whenever i want.  So it seems to be quite a nice cheap solution for me at the moment.

Yeah it would certainly change things.  I know you planned on having a load of levels so maybe you could use Procedural Generation just to help out?  Maybe generate the maps using PG and then manually populate them with enemies? 

You could get it to generate many more maps than you really need and then just discard the ones you don't like?

Like you say, possibilities

Yeh, i think for my game, that would probably be the best use of Procedural Generation.   Smiley

It's a bit of a trade off between, how much coding time it would take to get the algorithms working correctly against the time it would take to design the levels manually in the first place.

I did try generating my attack wave splines through algorithms but i couldn't get the curves i was after, so in the end i decided to manually create them.  Which produced far better results.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1043 on: June 29, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »

Now you've confused me.  I thought you only had net access in the mornings

Haha.

Very observant.   Grin

I bought myself mobile broadband on a usb stick yesterday so i can use internet at home now.  Just plug in the usb stick and away you go.  And it only cost 25.

The connection is pretty good where i am, being in the town centre and in fact it looks to be faster than the library computers i was using.   Tongue

I'm on a pay as you go package, ie, i'm limited to 3gb bandwidth a month and i can top up whenever i want.  So it seems to be quite a nice cheap solution for me at the moment.
Ah cool.  Hopefully having the internet at home doesn't prove too much of a distraction Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1044 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »

I'm not a fan of Bosses in games, think they are a bit crap TBH, but I'm thinking I need something in 1982 that works in the same way as a Boss does.  Something that clearly signposts the end of a section.

Right now I'm thinking I'll just have some unique enemy formations that only show up at the end of a level.  And because they are formations just made up out of regular eneimes then you don't get the horrible difficulty spikes that normal Bosses would give you.

The only problem with more complicated formations is that it becomes a lot more difficult to tweak them so they are suitable for different difficulties.  I'll find a way around that though.

Now all I need to do is design those formations and drop them in at the end of the levels I've already designed.....and then we are done.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 03, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »

Awesome Smiley I think thats the best way to go, bosses are a bit cliche' and half the fun is fring a million bullets into a million enemies Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1046 on: July 04, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »

Settled on just 3 different end of level enemy formations for now, one for each of the 3 difficulties, with the quantity of enemies in each increasing with each completed level.

As mentioned earlier I don't want these to be difficult to defeat, more of a signpost that a level is complete, so this simple method of creating them should be sufficient.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1047 on: July 08, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »

This is why I hate designing a game with loads of enemies on screen and then having to script the sequence of all the enemy attack waves....

For a game like 1982 I'd say a play-through should last at least 20 mins (*).  Due to the nature of the game I need a new attack wave on average every second.  That means I need to script 1200 waves.  And then tweak and balance them for difficulty.  Grrrrr  Tongue

(*) Due to the way the levels loop around the game doesn't actually end after 20 mins.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1048 on: July 09, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »

This is why I hate designing a game with loads of enemies on screen and then having to script the sequence of all the enemy attack waves....

Sounds like Duo has scarred you for life.   Roll Eyes

You seem to be making good progress though.   Cheesy

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1049 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

Sounds like Duo has scarred you for life.   Roll Eyes
lol. yeah.  Totally my own fault for having 100 levels and coding the enemy attack waves in the ridiculous way I did mind Smiley

I'm thinking of dumping levels from 1982 altogether as they serve absolutely no purpose.  There is no gap between them because I don't want to break up the action so in this case what purpose does having levels actually serve?

Maybe just so players can brag about getting to level x ?  I might just put a wave counter on screen instead for bragging rights.

Because of the way things are structure if I do remove levels then it makes absolutely no difference to what I've already done.  It's literally a 2 minute change.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: