binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606516 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 23, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

I'd also go with the latter, since everyone'll know how it works, but the fun is learning the strengths/weaknesses of the powerups.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1066 on: July 23, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »

I'd also go with the latter, since everyone'll know how it works, but the fun is learning the strengths/weaknesses of the powerups.
Yeah and it's not exactly complicated as each powerup originally had 3 different uses and now they just have 2.  I reckon 1 instruction screen for the powerups and 1 for the scoring system should be enough......not that anyone ever reads them Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1067 on: July 25, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »

Removing a bunch of options from the menu.  They were copied across from the standard game engine, but we don't need a whole load of options here.

So no Game Mode option as I've decided to have just a single mode, no graphics options etc. and I'll move the Instructions, Credits etc. options onto a single menu so the main menu is less cluttered.

In both looks and function that's more in line with old school gaming.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1068 on: August 01, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »

And I'm back. Smiley  Only had net access when at work and this site is blocked from there  Roll Eyes

Also been without netbook too and therefore didn't have Visual Studio or my 1982 code to work on....so decided to work on some routines for a future project in good old Notepad.  It's surprising how much coding you can get done in Notepad when you can't compile to test it etc.

Anyway it was some Map code so I now have a semi-working routine for defining and drawing grid based maps.  Absolutely no collision detection or anything fancy yet, but quite pleasing progress even if I don't need it immediately.

Anyway back to testing 1982...

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1069 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »

New enemy added.  Yeah I know I said I wouldn't be adding any more.   Tongue  Sometimes though ideas just come to you as you're playtesting and need to be done so I've added a snake type enemy that can only be killed by shooting the head.

It's actually quite handy to have a more difficult enemy type to add to the mix as most of the enemies aren't that hard and the later stages are proving to be a touch too easy without just lazily filling the screen with enemies to crank the difficulty up.

So just doing a bit of rearranging now to make the various sections of the game more noticeable.  Right now I'm aiming for a themed section bookended by more mixed sections so it goes something like:

• Mix of enemies
  • Section with just fast moving enemies
  • Mix of enemies
  • Section with just Asteroids
  • Mix of enemies
  • Section with Invaders and just Red powerups
  • Mix of enemies

No section lasts for more then 20-30 seconds to try and keep things interesting.  You get the idea.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1070 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »

Welcome back.   Smiley

Yeh, judging difficulty is always tricky.

As you get better at playing the game, the easier it gets.

Sounds as though you're making good progress.   Grin

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1071 on: August 05, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »

Sounding really interesting. Can't wait to see it.

Anyone know of any upcoming Creator's Club memberships?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1072 on: August 05, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »

Cheers chaps.  Due to other stuff it's been a frustratingly slow process so thanks for still taking an interest Smiley

Anyone know of any upcoming Creator's Club memberships?
Nothing right now.  IIRC Dream Build Play will kick off again near the end of the year ans there will be free CC access again then so I'd guess another 3 or 4 months.

If you just want to mess around yourself then don't forget you only need a CC membership for running your code on the 360.  You can run stuff on PC without one so you could be coding something now as it's identical code in anticipation of that free CC membership. 

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1073 on: August 08, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »

Did my final gameplay tweak yesterday....well unless something major crops up in playtesting anyway.  Tongue

As mentioned some time ago I'd added some code so that Galaxian style enemies that normally fly in random curve patterns, instead turn to fly straight down the screen when they get close to the player.  (This prevents them from flying horizontally across the screen in such a way that they can't be shot or avoided by the player)

That works really well, unfortunately it also means I have little control over how many enemies are on screen.  Due to their random movement pattern I might have a string of 20 Galaxian enemies hanging around on screen for ages or simply flying straight off the bottom.  For enemies that shoot that obviously has a big impact on the difficulty.

So now enemies that shoot fly back up the screen when they get close to the ground rather than fly straight off the bottom.  Not all enemies though.  It's pointless having enemies that don't shoot fly back up the screen as they only actually pose a threat to the player when they reach ground level so they still fly down the screen.

Does any of that make any sense?  Probably not.  It works rather nicely though  Tongue

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1074 on: August 09, 2010, 05:54:12 AM »

Sounds great so far.

Will i ever get to play it on PC ?

And do you plan on making a video of it ?

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1075 on: August 09, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »

Will i ever get to play it on PC ?
I was hoping you will be able to play test it at the same time as everyone else as the existing code works fine on both 360 and PC Smiley  It doesn't have any PC specific options for resolution support etc yet (still haven't coded that  Tongue ), but it's perfectly playable already.

And do you plan on making a video of it ?
Yeah I'll do a Youtube vid when it's nearly ready for release.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1076 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

Cool.   Grin

It's sounding like a really fun game to play.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1077 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »

Help.  One of our sound fx is missing.  The voice sample that plays when you pick up a shield powerup has just stopped playing and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  Bloody strange.  I'll look for it again later as I'm out of ideas ATM.  Tongue

I'm also toying with whether to put a border around the screen or not to replicate the old home computers.  Everything on the 360 has to be drawn inside the Title Safe area anyway so any border would just be covering the portion of the screen I don't use anyway.  Hmm.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1078 on: August 13, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »

Ok, nobody ask why the sound fx I mentioned yesterday wasn't playing and we'll pretend the whole embarrassing incident didn't happen.  Tongue

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1079 on: August 14, 2010, 05:38:51 AM »

Curiosity has gotten the better of me. lol.

Why did the sfx stop playing ?

TMC
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: