binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606929 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1080 on: August 14, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »

It's not that interesting.  Smiley

For reasons too long (and stupid) to go into, I'd overwritten my speech samples with the old sound fx they had previously replaced.  That should have been easy to spot, but when I played the samples from disc they sounded ok.....but only because I was actually looking in a folder from a backup copy of my project and not the current one.  Tongue

Yeah embarrassing.  Nothing to see here.  I'm trying to convince myself it's the sort of mistake anyone could make....and failing.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1081 on: August 15, 2010, 07:28:57 AM »

lol.

Well, i must admit i've been known to live on stupid street from time to time too.

I've tought myself not to blame the language until i've exausted all possibilities it's not my fault.

Glad the issue has been resolved though.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1082 on: August 15, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »

Hmm.  Not having a good couple of days here.  Tongue

I've now broken my menu code, although at least I know what the problem is this time though.  My menu, online highscore and file handling code aren't quite as carefully linked as I thought they were.  In theory changing the number of game modes and difficulty settings available on the main menu should automatically change the number of highscore tables saved to disc and how many are shared over Live.  Yeah, in theory.

It's quite unusual I come across a problem like this as I'm normally pretty anal about automating things wherever possible (probably having code rely too much on other classes etc if truth be told)... I guess the error crept in this time because I bolted the Live enabled highscore stuff afterwards and spent so long fiddling with it trying to get it right that I've broken something else without realising it.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1083 on: August 17, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »

Menus all fixed and working.  The good side effect of that being that my 1 game mode and 3 difficulty settings are now finalised and I'll resist any temptation to add extra later.  And less temptation for tweakage is always a good thing.  Tongue

Just a few more bits of presentation to tidy up and then.....

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1084 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »

Well as mentioned earlier I was tempted to put a border around the screen to make it look proper old school.  Well as it turns out having a completely plain border might be authentic, but it's also a bit dull.

I still wanted something though so in the end I've gone for a semi-transparent effect on the border area, so you get a bit of movement in there while still getting that bordered effect.

I kinda like it even if it is a bit of a compromise.  BunnyMonkey!

God knows why I'm even bothering with a screenie of it.   Tongue  Dullest screenie everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

* 1982-border.png (2.95 KB, 292x191 - viewed 764 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1085 on: August 19, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »

Stop the Press.

A screenshot.   Grin

Cool.

Nearing completion then.  Thats a nice feeling.

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: August 19, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »

BUG: Sprites are not blurred when in the border area.

Tongue

Looking nice, can't wait to play Cheesy

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1087 on: August 19, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »

BUG: Sprites are not blurred when in the border area.

Tongue
lol.  I actually spent a while deliberating whether it should blur or not.  In the end I went for "not", but thought nobody would even notice either way.  Clearly I was wrong Smiley

Anyway that's what playtesting is for.....

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:17 AM »

TBH it does give the screen some clarity which I'll guess is much needed when you start throwing X millions of enemies at the player.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1089 on: August 26, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »

Did a bit of in house (as in my house  Tongue ) playtesting of 1982 this afternoon.  I was just getting some feedback on general playability and not looking for bugs etc and it seemed to go down well.

The fact it is really easy to pick up and even poor players can still make decent progress and have plenty of fun was appreciated, although I suspect this means the shmup hardcore will find even the hardest difficulty insultingly forgiving again.  But it is what it is Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 26, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »

The fact it is really easy to pick up and even poor players can still make decent progress and have plenty of fun was appreciated, although I suspect this means the shmup hardcore will find even the hardest difficulty insultingly forgiving again.  But it is what it is Smiley

I think they'll be alright Wink if they complain, there's always Echoes!  Cool
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1091 on: August 28, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

I think they'll be alright Wink if they complain, there's always Echoes!  Cool
Ah but the "hardcore" don't like that either because it has an energy system and not a life based one Smiley

Although I'm not commenting any further as I still haven't decided which works better in 1982 yet  Tongue lol Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1092 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »

Been trying out a whole bunch of retro pixelated fonts but have ended up sticking with the one I'm already using.

I had wanted to change it to something chunkier so it matched the rest of the pixel scaling (where each pixel is effectively 6x6), the obvious problem with that though is that it's impossible to have small text.  Everything ends up being HUGE and the current HUD would be impossible.  The score alone would be almost half the width of the screen  Tongue

So yeah, compromise again, but that's another thing crossed off the final check list.

Tonight I'm planning on having a go at the 3D shader I mentioned a while back.  It shouldn't be too hard to do so I'll see how good it looks and whether to bother including it as an option or not.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1093 on: September 02, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »

Hmm.  the 3D effect is ok (at best) and I thought the simple chunky graphics would work slightly better for this that they appear to.

Think I'll probably leave it out unless I get some time to play about with it a bit more and try some different offset distances and colour levels.

Anyway......at the end of the planned levels I intend sending the player back to an earlier point and ramping the difficulty up a bit so effectively there is no end to the game.  It should be about a 20 minute loop though so it shouldn't be too obvious....I hope  Tongue

That's my planned task for tonight....

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »

Sounds good Fog. 3D would really only work with proper depth, so if you've not got a parralax background, it'd be less noticeable etc.

Progress is progress, and you're making alot of it Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: