binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:35:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605844 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »

The new site design is very, um, grey  Tongue

Fairly happy with it now though.  Just need to tweak all my CSS and drop in some higher quality images for the logo etc.

Sounds great Smiley I'm sure it'll look fine.
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1201 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:56 AM »

Should fit in well with the default forum color schemes too.   Smiley

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1202 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »

Should fit in well with the default forum color schemes too.   Smiley
Ah now only if I'd thought of that earlier I could have made it shades of blue with no need for a new forum skin at all Wink

From what I've read integrating the forum into Wordpress is either not possible, incredibly difficult or the best you can doesn't look great.  Given my php abilities I might just skip attempting that and leave it as it is aside from maybe a new lick of paint.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1203 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »

So I decided to have a proper dig into the Monkey documentation over the last couple of days to see, not so much what it was capable of, but how much extra functionality I would need to add to it myself before I could start building a game engine on top of that.

Mostly it's good, however there are a few areas that I'd need to flesh out a bit before they are really usable (like sound and music) and other areas which seem lacking with no way to easily expand on them.  The main one of these seems to be file handling.  This is because of the lowest common denominator approach of Monkey whereby everything has to work on all platforms and file handling in things like html5 are very limited. 

I guess I'm just going to hardcode a lot more things than intended.  In Echoes PC release I had everything in external xml files during development and then I wrote a quick routine to partly turn it into hardcode in the final release so I might do that again. Ultimately I don't see this as a deal breaker though and I'm sure I can work around it.

Just need to create a few icons etc for the new site and then I can concentrate on game making again  BunnyMonkey!

Current website thingy looks like this.  Like I mentioned earlier, I wanted very basic but functional and it's certainly basic. The background image from echoes is temp just so I could get an idea of how it looked.  The final version will have interchangeable images from various games.

* web2.png (65.14 KB, 607x217 - viewed 225 times.)

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »

That looks swanky Smiley
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1205 on: May 24, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »

Looks good.

I'd like to see a bigger Binary Zoo logo though.

And the first letter B ln Binary looks like it's lowercase.  I know this is probably just the font used, but it looks a little odd to me.

Looking forward to seeing the new site.   Smiley

Have you thought about using some fancy java applets, like ripple effects or something, to spice things up.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1206 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »

Thanks chaps Smiley

I'd like to see a bigger Binary Zoo logo though.
It might well be slightly bigger in the final version.  I'll see when I do the proper backgrounds.

And the first letter B ln Binary looks like it's lowercase.  I know this is probably just the font used, but it looks a little odd to me.
I can't blame the font as it isn't really one. I drew that.

It is lower case though.  Just a little quirk of mine....see also my user name Smiley 

As I want to keep it simple I'm not keen on using java applets for effects TBH....that's not to say I wont incorporate some html5 later if I write something in Monkey though!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1207 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »

It is lower case though.  Just a little quirk of mine....see also my user name

I never noticed that.   Tongue

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1208 on: May 25, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »

love it.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1209 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Just trying to figure out what a few bits of CSS do in Wordpress.  They don't seem to do anything, but I don't want to remove them in case they are used in modules etc that I haven't got installed or activated yet.  Probably best to just leave them lol Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1210 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »

It's only when you hit a problem that you truly find out how much you know.  Yeah I broke something  Tongue

Didn't fancy learning mySQL on top of everything else so did a sneaky restore from a backup version.  What problem.  BunnyMonkey!

I also got a flash of inspiration for a game idea while using Excel.  A platform game with no platforms.  Brilliant.  Not that the gameplay would necessarily be any good, but just think how easy the level design would be!  Kang-a-roo!  Idea jotted down for a rainy day.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1211 on: May 29, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »

I also got a flash of inspiration for a game idea while using Excel.  A platform game with no platforms.  Brilliant.  Not that the gameplay would necessarily be any good, but just think how easy the level design would be!    Idea jotted down for a rainy day.

Tongue

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1212 on: May 29, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »

I also got a flash of inspiration for a game idea while using Excel.  A platform game with no platforms.  Brilliant.  Not that the gameplay would necessarily be any good, but just think how easy the level design would be!    Idea jotted down for a rainy day.

Tongue
Just reading that back it does just sound like I can't be arsed designing where the platforms would go lol Smiley  when in fact it's an important part of the game design......might still be crap mind!

It did trigger me into a kind of game design brainstorming session yesterday though.  If you can design a platform game around the idea of not having any platforms can you do something similar with other genres?

With shmups being my main interest I decided to come up with some ideas where you can't actually shoot and got a couple of pretty interesting ideas.  Whether they would make good games is debatable, but they might become gameplay elements I can implement into an otherwise normal shmup.

Quite a fun way to do game design too.  I wonder what other restrictions I can try and design around Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 29, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »

I think baffling best sums up how that sounds Tongue
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1214 on: May 30, 2011, 07:00:30 AM »

Sounds good.

Definately thinking outside the box.

I try to do something similar.

I find a great way to get to sleep at night is to try and think up game ideas.

I tend to try and mix and match game ideas and if i remember the idea in the morning then it was probably a good idea.  Cheesy

My current best idea, is a sort of 2d Minecrcraft shmup.   Tongue

TMC
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: