binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 05:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607265 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1230 on: July 30, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »

You know it's only when you start using Monkey that you realise just how many holes there are in the language.  I know some of these holes exist because it only supports commands that work on all target platforms, but sometimes it can be a serious hindrance.

Like now where I'm writing a few quick tools that I will only ever need to use on PC.  Sure I could use a more appropriate language for thses stand alone tools, that's no good though if I want to integrate later ones into my game engine code.  Hmm.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1231 on: September 30, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »

Can't believe I haven't updated this in 2 months.  Not that I haven't been doing anything mind, it's just that it's in various other threads while I decided what new language to use.  Tongue

For now I've settled on C++ with AGK which potentially allows me to target PC, Mac, iOS, Android...and things like Bada and Meego which I have no idea about!

Anyway I've started today rewriting my game engine so that it's an evolution of what I used in Echoes+ (C# with XNA) which in turn was an evolution of the DBPro engine used in my freeware PC titles.  And in the same way I started on E+ straight away when learning C#, I'll probably start on 1982 and learn C++/AGK as I progress.  I've no idea how long that will take.  Tongue

Right now I'm porting all my boring but essential libraries for maths, logic, timers, file handling etc before moving onto media handling and finally game logic.

I had planned on uploading the new look site I've worked on before embarking on a new project, but I haven't found out how to move the forum to a new host yet without everything going tits up.....and with me at the controls it will unless I find a foolproof method.  Tongue

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1232 on: October 01, 2011, 04:02:47 AM »

Can't believe I haven't updated this in 2 months.  Not that I haven't been doing anything mind, it's just that it's in various other threads while I decided what new language to use.  Tongue

For now I've settled on C++ with AGK which potentially allows me to target PC, Mac, iOS, Android...and things like Bada and Meego which I have no idea about!

Anyway I've started today rewriting my game engine so that it's an evolution of what I used in Echoes+ (C# with XNA) which in turn was an evolution of the DBPro engine used in my freeware PC titles.  And in the same way I started on E+ straight away when learning C#, I'll probably start on 1982 and learn C++/AGK as I progress.  I've no idea how long that will take.  Tongue

Right now I'm porting all my boring but essential libraries for maths, logic, timers, file handling etc before moving onto media handling and finally game logic.

I had planned on uploading the new look site I've worked on before embarking on a new project, but I haven't found out how to move the forum to a new host yet without everything going tits up.....and with me at the controls it will unless I find a foolproof method.  Tongue
Can you figure out how to export your SQL DB the forum's on?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1233 on: October 01, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »

Can you figure out how to export your SQL DB the forum's on?
Yeah I've now found a guide on how to transfer it thanks.  Seems a bit of hassle so I'll have a trial run before doing the proper thing.   Smiley

Anyway C++ coding is going ok so far.  I'm learning as I go, but so far no issues I couldn't resolve fairly quickly.

Structurally I'm keeping things the same as I did previously so my "engine" class does all the routine stuff that's common across all games and then my "game" class is used for game specific tweaks and routines.  This worked well in the past as it means once I have the standard coding finished I only ever need to mess with the game class on each game.

Likewise I'm using the same scripting system for loading all media, defining enemy, bullet behaviour etc etc.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1234 on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

Hmm this is going surprisingly well......I know I'm going to regret saying that.  Tongue

Although I had to hack around with the template project files that come with AGK to get them working properly (which is a bit worrying), it gave me a chance to learn how everything works and which bits are exposed so I could mess around with them later to add shader support etc.  I've no idea if that's possible, but at least I know what I'd need to modify now.

Code wise I'm being methodical rather than jumping into the interesting graphics based stuff.

So far I have the following basic class structures in place:

• Engine - For all the standard stuff required by all games (I shouldn't need to touch this again when finished)
  • Game - For all game specific routines, media loading etc. (All game coding will be done in here)
  • Platform - For all platform specific routines for handling controls etc. (I shouldn't need to touch this again unless adding support for a new platform)

ANd all my maths routines are ported across and tested.  Testing actually taking longer than the porting did.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1235 on: October 05, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »

A whole bunch of helper classes ported and tested.  Just things like Vector2, timers, angle ,range classes and my custom colour class.  The colour class saves me a bit of work because as well as storing the obvious R,G,B,A vars it also has a mode which I can set to automatically do colour cycling, alpha fading etc.

And I've still resisted the temptation to do anything image or audio based yet.  That's the carrot to guarantee good progress.  Once I get sprites up and working I'll waste ages messing with them BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Sounds like good progress indeed, but its only gonna get harder and harder to resist playing around with pretty pictures!  Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1237 on: October 05, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »

Sounds like good progress indeed, but its only gonna get harder and harder to resist playing around with pretty pictures!  Wink
That's normally the case, but not this time Smiley

While deciding on what language to use I did a lot of preparation on how to restructure my game engine plus a work-to list that so far I'm sticking too.  As my sprite and entity code is pretty much the last thing on the list I wont be able to get distracted by pretty graphics until I actually start scripting a game.

And as I did with C#/XNA, I'm having fun learning C++ and that even makes the normally mundane stuff interesting.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »

Hey, if you need any help with the database/site stuff you only need to ask. But yeah, unless you're doing something complicated there should be tutorials available.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1239 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »

Hey, if you need any help with the database/site stuff you only need to ask. But yeah, unless you're doing something complicated there should be tutorials available.
Thanks matey.  You know me by now....I'll have a go at doing it, probably cock it up, and then come to you for help fixing it!  Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1240 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »

Engine porting progressing well.

All the main file commands are wrapped up and should work ok on all platforms.

Input wise I have keyboard, mouse and joypad working.  Right now it works with an XBob360 controller, but I have the necessary structure in place to port my joypad configuration tools at a later date.  I'll tackle wrapping the touch screen and accelerometer controls once I have a way of actually testing them.  Tongue

And most of my debug code structure is in place.  Much of it is finished although a few tools can't be used yet as I need some graphics commands for those and I haven't done that side of things.

And next sound...

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1241 on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »

We have sound!  Kang-a-roo!

Porting old code was pretty straight forward as sound and music commands essentially consist of "Load", "Play" and um "Stop".  Ok there are a few more than that, but not much.

My game scripting routines for sound and music are ported too so for each game all I need are a few lines of script and all game audio is handled automatically.

Of course I had to complicate things ever so slightly  Tongue as I decided I wanted some skinning support in from the start and I wanted that to apply to all media. 

So any skinning files can be dumped in their own directory and a single call to SetSkin("blah") will replace in game graphics and sounds with their equivalents.  Where no equivalent exists the game will continue to use the original media.  That's tested and all works perfectly for audio so far.

That allows users to easily add their own skins, me to release extra packs at a later date... or to simply make like easier for me if I want to change a graphics set when for example a player moves from one game world to another.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 14, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »

Seems your pre-planning has really aided your progress this time! Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1243 on: October 14, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »

Seems your pre-planning has really aided your progress this time! Smiley
It is Smiley

I know from experience that even when I'm in manic coding mode I get easily distracted by messing with the exciting things (graphics, shaders etc) when I really need to work on the mundane.

I'm sure everyone that's ever coded has experienced this and has their own methods of dealing with this....for me it's to have a whole list of small bullet points in notepad and delete them as I complete them.  When I have a plan like that I find it really easy to stick to.

Anyway I've just finished my camera code so we have panning and zooming although no rotation yet as AGK doesn't have an easy way of doing that out of the box.  (I can code it myself as I did in DBPro if it doesn't get added to AGK.)

Also my image class is now complete.  Slightly of of sequence on my to-do list, but I realised I needed it before I could start on my menu code.....which is next Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

Menu code, it really is the bane of any gameplay and graphics programmer! But still, everything you tick off your list brings you closer to the core stuff based around whichever game you decide to continue! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: