binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607198 times)
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2430 on: August 24, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

Back from a break.   BunnyMonkey!

Funny how being somewhere where you can't code fills your head with ideas and new found enthusiasm.  I assume it's the same with other creative pursuits?

Very much so! I find getting some space made me analyse things I'd been working on from a different perspective. Very useful.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2431 on: August 24, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »

Very much so! I find getting some space made me analyse things I'd been working on from a different perspective. Very useful.
Well I hope you're feeling musically motivated  Grin

I forgot to mention maths earlier.  God is the 3D maths way more complicated than 2D  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2432 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

Well I hope you're feeling musically motivated  Grin

I forgot to mention maths earlier.  God is the 3D maths way more complicated than 2D  BunnyMonkey!
Certainly am. Got a fresh banger coming out too when my tape eventually drops Wink

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2433 on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

Adding more of that stuff you need for 3D that I didn't when working in 2D.

Now it's lights....global, ambient, points.... and all plugged into my colour class so I can have everything colour cycle, flash, fade etc auto-magically.

Next up a 3D camera system I think  man

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: September 01, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »

You've been busy! Keen to see what you're cooking up Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2435 on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »

Still haven't done a 3D camera system yet as I got sidetracked into adding shaderzzz. 

Not writing actual shader code yet, just adding support for fullscreen shaders in my ScreenFX scripts and allowing shaderzzz to be applied to objects in my Entity scripting system.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2436 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

Now moving on to my scripting system.

Most of my game stuff is handled by my scripting system.  So all media loading, menu definitions, bullet patterns, basic enemy behaviour etc are all done in scripts, the only exception being unique game specific requirements (unusual enemy AI etc).

All these scripts are stored externally so they are easier to edit than a load of variables and code, everything is easily referenced by a name (as opposed to an index number) and I can also make most changes without needing to compile any code again. 

Much easier and faster.  man

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2437 on: September 12, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »

Still haven't done a 3D camera system yet as I got sidetracked into adding shaderzzz. 
Reminds me of reading game reviews in the early 2000s. Every second game had an unplayable camera, haha. Daikatana was particularly bad for it I remember.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2438 on: September 13, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »

Reminds me of reading game reviews in the early 2000s. Every second game had an unplayable camera, haha. Daikatana was particularly bad for it I remember.
Most early 3D games have aged horribly, way worse than the 2D games before that which are still very playable.

Some of the worst are PS1 games which were are among my favourite ever.  I really wish I'd never played them again years later and ruined the memories.

Meanwhile...
Currently adding my Camera FX onto the new 3D camera system.  I use Camera FX for things like camera shake, temporary zoom etc, basically anything that physically moves the screen image. 

Other Fx like motion blur, screen flashing etc are handled by the Screen FX system.  And I think that code will still work as it has in previous games as the new 3D camera should have no impact on it.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2439 on: September 20, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »

Camera FX done so now working on basic 3D object integration with other areas of the engine.  So linking models to textures, lights, shaderzzz etc. 

I still have a few things to do (eg. a 3D text system) and a few tweaks that I already had planned based on Steam feedback (eg. customisable keys ) and then it's onto....

...the Entity system which is where I bring all the bits together to create enemies, explosions, bullets, everything!  Hopefully most of that is a simple copy/paste from the existing 2D Entity code.   BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2440 on: October 03, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »

I've had a bit of a scattergun week with regards to development, with focus split between the dodo engine and thoughts on the next project.

Without thinking about the finer details of the next project, I've just been roughing out in my head what features I need in the engine to make it possible.

Engine wise I've added some generic effects to all the various fx systems (camera, screen, sound, 3D Particles, emitters) so they are available in every project.

So without me adding any code....

PlayFx( "Big Explosion");

shakes and twists the screen, adds a white flash, temporarily blurs the screen, emits some 3D particles and plays an appropriate sound effect.  man

I can easily tweak those fx later or add new ones, but it means I can prototype ideas really quickly.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:08:49 PM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2441 on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »

As with most things in development, the new 3D Entity system has taken longer than anticipated.

I could have taken the old 2D based code and swapped the Sprites for Models and that, with a few other tweaks, would have been good for games played on a single plane (think Echoes using models instead of sprites).

However, that would be no good if I decided to go with 3D gameplay and would need a complete rewrite.  So I decided to go ahead and do that now, then, in theory, I can forget about the Engine and just concentrate on developing games.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2442 on: October 22, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »

...and would need a complete rewrite.  So I decided to go ahead and do that now, then, in theory, I can forget about the Engine and just concentrate on developing games.
As long as you're writing at least 1 game per engine, you're golden  Grin

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 23, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »

Sounds like you're ready to build something new Wink
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2444 on: October 23, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »

As long as you're writing at least 1 game per engine, you're golden  Grin
Haha.  Well yes, that's pretty much the ratio I'm working at recently  Grin

Currently wrestling with a C++ linking issue.  God, I miss C#  BunnyMonkey!

All the major engine coding is done though.  I just need to do some testing to make sure all the 3D stuff works and I can think about building an actual game  man

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: