binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605227 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »

Guess it's about time I updated this just so everyone knows what's going on.

As I'm still ill and may be for some time, I've decided to put Tension on hold for now,  Working on a large project just isn't practical ATM.

In the meantime I've decided to use my existing shmup scripting system to do a few demos and test out some ideas which I'll probably post on the Playtesters forum for feedback.  As thes scripts can be done very quickly it's much less of an effort for me with much quicker results than working on a "proper" project.  We'll see how it goes.

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 11:35:16 PM »

Get well soon mate.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »

Get well soon mate.
Cheers Paul.  Hows the Doppelganger update going?  With my 360 away getting repaired I could do with some PC gaming goodness. Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »

Been ill for a while myself with a recurring case of tonsillitus - can't seem to shake it Sad

Oh yeah and I've been a little distracted by my lovely new MacBook Pro Smiley

My wife finally convinced me I needed a laptop for work so I plumped for the Mac.  Spent the last few nights installing Vista and Visual Studio!  Once all that's on Game Studio Express will follow and I'll get cracking on the update.

PS - Can I subscribe to the playtesters forum for when you're fully recovered.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »

Been ill for a while myself with a recurring case of tonsillitus - can't seem to shake it Sad
Ouch.  Just have them whipped out like I did.  I was 7 at the time and have just about recovered from the trauma now.  Getting woken up even 2 hours and being force fed ice cream isn't as fun as it sounds.

My wife finally convinced me I needed a laptop for work so I plumped for the Mac.  Spent the last few nights installing Vista and Visual Studio!  Once all that's on Game Studio Express will follow and I'll get cracking on the update.
lol.  I imagine it was hell having the wife "forcing" you to buy a laptop. Smiley  Anyway, assuming the new baby doesn't keep you too busy I look forward to that update.

PS - Can I subscribe to the playtesters forum for when you're fully recovered.
Yeah I was going to give you access as soon as there was anything worth seeing.  I'll do it now but it's totally empty as I archived the Echoes board and all associated posts.

DaZ
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »

Hey man cant wait to see some WIP on this project, I was thinking ov a few different game play elements you could include.... Firstly you could introduce a RPG stlye system where by the quicker you kill the enemies or the less amount of time you die the more XP you gain meaning you can afford new weapons or redesign the shape of your char, Secondly you could have a system where you almost have like a 'battlemap' and you aim is to fill all the spaces with your sides color, if you beat the level if you fail it goes the enemies color, if you try to fight on an enemies colored level it becomes harder. And lastly some kind of co-op multiplayer would be cool to see, either single machine or online.

Just a few randoms there for ya Cheesy

DaZ
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »

HMM wife -> Get lap top = Lucky   Wink
 s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake! s-s-snake!

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 11:37:50 PM »

Well force is a little strong I guess - best thing is my business bought it so it almost seems free Smiley

It's great for work now I've got a 3G modem for it - 2 fingers to our proxy server Smiley

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 11:24:55 AM »

~
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:04:12 PM by donny » Logged
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

I haven't been able to access the site until now... it's been 2 or 3 days... what happened? Good to see it back!

donny
500 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »

i think someone didn't pay his bills on time:D
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »

i think someone didn't pay his bills on time:D
Not quite.  Our old webhost was taken over by another company and didn't have any contact details for me so decided to suspend my account until I got in contact with them.  Slightly annoying but we're back now.

Ptolemy
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »

Nothing beats the bureaucratic red tape... you think if you took over a company you'd try to make it a seamless as possible.  Oh well, I guess they just had problems because like most businesses they're run by typing monkeys.

perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
-Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

As material fortune is associated with the properties of the body, so honor belongs to the soul
- Ptolemy
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »

Well my plan was to ease myself back into coding by doing a couple of other demos but, after working on a couple of ideas, I've found myself back working on Tension again.

Progress will be slow (even by my standards) but I'm currently working on the level file format again.

So far it handles the different "World" definitions (setting variables for gravity etc. and loading gfx and sounds) and I also have the loading of level layouts (maps?) finished.  All I need do now is finish the format for specifying enemy attack waves which, based on my experience with DUO, is the really tedious part.

I can't honestly remember what I've said in here about the game so far so I'm not sure if this talk of "Worlds" and "gravity" makes any sense....but it will do eventually. Smiley

Anyway once the attack wave file format is complete I'll build the first test level and we'll finally see whether this project has any future or not.  Agh the tension  s-s-snake!

donny
500 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:48 AM »

http://www.kamalazoo.de/
lol, look at the image at their intro page, don't i know that from somewhere else?
isn't that the "explosion" from mono?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: