binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Movie recommendations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie recommendations  (Read 81329 times)
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 11:27:25 AM »

I watched brick couple days ago... and it was quite different indeed. I wouldn't call it spectacular, but it was a good movie on it's own. For a noir movie it had relatively simple plot, even though some of the scenes and the things that the characters did were quite innovative.
Also you gotta love the hilariousness that is the high school setting in a noir movie. That cerial/breakfast scene was just brilliant.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »

I wish I could say I'd watched some decent movies Tongue

I liked the original Gone In 60 Seconds (1974). I think the fact that it didn't use a single trained actor made it seem more real.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »

I think the fact that it didn't use a single trained actor made it seem more real.
I think the same could be said about most movies thesedays...  Roll Eyes

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »

I think the fact that it didn't use a single trained actor made it seem more real.
I think the same could be said about most movies thesedays...  Roll Eyes
I assume you aren't impressed by current acting standards then Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

Ok so we've already established I don't watch many movies, but I've been watching a few recently and seem to pick mainly crap ones so need some recommendations.  BunnyMonkey!

Recently I've watched...

Transformers - total crap
300 - ok-ish
The Dark Knight - good
Hitman -game based movie in not totally shit shocker
The Bone Collector - average
Blood Diamond - brilliant
Hancock - started off poor then turned to total crap
Shooter - actually not bad
Tears of the Sun - Very good
Behwolf - nice graphics and um...

and a few others so poor I can't remember them  Tongue

So any recent thriller / sci-fi / action / adventure recommendations chaps?  Much appreciated.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »

And last night I watched The Prestige which was surprisingly good.  With it's schizophrenic jumping around the time line it took a while to get into, but the ending was pretty cool with a number of nice little twists.  Smiley

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »

Prestige is indeed quite good. Also better than that other 'magician' movie released at the same time (can't remember the name). They are both fine, but Prestige is pretty darn good.

I personally didn't like the Shooter but I liked Hancock so I don't know what to recommend.
Also Hitman was quite a pooper. Even Max Payne wasn't that bad.

Remember to avoid the Wanted, Eagle Eye and the Jumper as well.
If you want standard action fare, then go for the latest Bond movies, Taken, RocknRolla or even Vantage Point. Not good, but not as shitty as the ones I listed above.

Iron Man on the other hand was fairly good, in my opinion. Highly entertaining, at least. Cloverfield is sort of interesting but falls down flat. The Happening is just one big WTF - and not in a good way. Hmm... what else. oh yeah, In Bruges was also ... nice.

I've got to say that there weren't a whole lot of good movies released last year.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:43:30 PM by las6 » Logged

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

The Happening is just one big WTF - and not in a good way.

Cheese and crackers!

ones I've watched semi-recently and/or came out last year...

RAMBO - Best action movie of 2008. Period. Forget about deep plot. Forget about oscar-worthy dialog and acting. This is Sly doing what he does best. Pure oldschool, un-polished, R-Rated action.
The Dark Knight - Ledger's Joker is incredible. Excellent sound design and score.
Cloverfield - It's hard to find a movie with a more split general opinion. I thought it was excellent. Giacchino's 'ROAR! (Cloverfield Overture)' is one of my favorite pieces of music written in a long time (plays during the credits).
Eagle Eye - The computer *cough* Skynet *cough* sounded like an evil GPS. That's about the only thing I remember. Extremely forgettable, but perhaps mildly entertaining.
The Mist - Frank Darabont directing a Stephen King movie is always a good thing. Best horror movie I've seen in a long time (and I watched it quite a while ago). The ending was even better than the book's (well, short story).
Serenity - Still one of the best sci-fi movies made in years. Great dialog and acting. Interesting characters. Pokes fun at many cliches. I still need to watch Firefly at some point.
Little Miss Sunshine - I'm usually not a big comedy guy, but this one was brilliant. It delivered its message ingeniously, yet some people still didn't get it  Roll Eyes
Live Free or Die Hard - I am a Die Hard fan (no pun intended). This one is OK. Not as good as the first or third, but maybe on the same level as the 2nd. Only John McTiernan knows how to make a proper Die Hard.
There Will Be Blood - Superb acting and plot. Great score.
Vantage Point - Ridiculous.
Quantum of Solace - Good.
W - Horrible. Biggest waste of time in 2008. I'm sure there were worse movies last year, but I didn't see them Grin
Iron Man - Very good.
The Bourne Ultimatum - Excellent. My favorite of the Bourne movies.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:15:05 PM by AaronF » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »

That's excellent.  Cheers chaps Smiley

Loads of films mentioned there that I haven't even heard of so digging some of those out should be fun.

Also Hitman was quite a pooper.
Well by game based movies standards it was ok IMO....but I've never played the Hitman games so don't know whether that would make a difference to my opinion.

Iron Man on the other hand was fairly good, in my opinion. Highly entertaining, at least.
I'm glad you both recommended Iron Man as i quite fancied it but assumed it would be shit like all these types of movies normall are. 

RAMBO - Best action movie of 2008. Period. Forget about deep plot. Forget about oscar-worthy dialog and acting. This is Sly doing what he does best. Pure oldschool, un-polished, R-Rated action.
great.  I'm always up for a bit of classic Sly or Arnie but that's another I assumed would be crap Smiley

Live Free or Die Hard - I am a Die Hard fan (no pun intended). This one is OK. Not as good as the first or third, but maybe on the same level as the 2nd. Only John McTiernan knows how to make a proper Die Hard.
The Bourne Ultimatum - Excellent. My favorite of the Bourne movies.
Yeah I'm a big Die Hard and Bourne fan myself.  I haven't seen that latest Bond yet though so I'll try that.

Thanks again.  I'll let you know what I think of any I watch Wink

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »

great.  I'm always up for a bit of classic Sly or Arnie but that's another I assumed would be crap

I should probably mention as well that it's definitely not a movie for anyone with a weak stomach. There are a couple scenes, one in particular within the first 30 minutes that are hard even for me to watch. Suffice it to say that it's an accurate depiction of the violence that happens in places like Burma (where the movie takes place).

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »

Serenity - Still one of the best sci-fi movies made in years. Great dialog and acting. Interesting characters. Pokes fun at many cliches. I still need to watch Firefly at some point.
I love a good sci-fi so watched this last night, but didn't really think it was that great.  Maybe if I'd seen some Firefly I might have appreciated it more.

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »

OMG, you guys haven't watched Firefly? Watch it! It's very, very good! Seriously, I'm not even all that into sci-fi and I absolutely loved it. And yeah, Serenity is better once you've watched Firefly.

I watched Helvetica yesterday. It's a documentary about the font Helvetica ... when and how it came about, how it's become so ubiquitous in society, and what designers think of it. But really, it's a documentary about typography and graphic design. I enjoyed it.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »

I love a good sci-fi so watched this last night, but didn't really think it was that great.  Maybe if I'd seen some Firefly I might have appreciated it more.

Actually, it took me a couple of viewings to really get into it. The first time I saw it, I thought it was pretty good. The 2nd time I watched it, I thought it was great. Now it's one of my favorite sci-fi's. Not saying that's what will happen for you, though.

OMG, you guys haven't watched Firefly? Watch it! It's very, very good! Seriously, I'm not even all that into sci-fi and I absolutely loved it. And yeah, Serenity is better once you've watched Firefly.

I downloaded the pilot episode last night from xbox live. Now I'm hooked Grin  ...The show appears to have much more of a western feel than the movie did, which is cool.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »

I saw all of the firefly eps when they first aired... and I still think it's better than the movie. Or at least it would've been had it been given a bit more time to live. (Things start rolling only in the last few episodes)

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »

I watched Firefly.

See, my Joss Whedon experience was thus:
1. Look Buffy up on Wikipedia. Assume it's only popular because of lesbians.
2. Ignore Joss Whedon's work, largely
3. Get linked to Dr. Horrible by a friend. Ignore it cause I'm tired and I'm like meh.
4. PA links to Dr. Horrible. Watch it.
5. Watch it 13 more times.
6. Download Firefly pilot.
7. Buy Firefly series on DVD.

So, by releasing Dr. Horrible for free, Joss Whedon sold a DVD. What does that tell you about digital distribution, media companies?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31 Go Up Print 
Jump to: