binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Music Error In Echoes And DUO [SOLVED?]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Error In Echoes And DUO [SOLVED?]  (Read 46900 times)
PINKZEPPLICA
5 XP

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »

Just a quick note, it's also doing it in Mono also..  Cry So that's pretty much every game!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:10:15 PM by PINKZEPPLICA » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 08:47:20 PM »

Just a quick note, it's also doing it in Mono also..  Cry So that's pretty much every game!
Was it working previously?

PINKZEPPLICA
5 XP

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 03:01:24 AM »

Nope, sorry to get your hopes up haha. I just tried doing it out of curiosity, and I get the same error as always.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »

Nope, sorry to get your hopes up haha. I just tried doing it out of curiosity, and I get the same error as always.
Well unfortunatley, without being able to duplicate the error and with no bugs in the actual code there's little I can do.  As I've said in another thread though, maybe you could try version 1.02 when I release that as it uses a different compiler and might solve the problem.

Lyx
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »

I get the same error as well in 1.03, though, i DO have music placed in the music folder. No playlist, just mp3-tracks. Since i know a bit about mp3-encoding, i verified that they arent damaged or otherwise non-standard. However, they encoded in VBR, for better quality. VBR has been part of the MP3-standard since the beginning, though, some apps (and especially hardware-players) dont support it (therefore, not being fully MP3-compatible).

My error-log contains the same:
ERROR DATA LOG
07/03/07 : 16:21:53
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
922 : XML_Read() ::: tag not closed '>' :::
922 : XML_Read() ::: Tag not recognised :::

- Lyx
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »

I get the same error as well in 1.03, though, i DO have music placed in the music folder. No playlist, just mp3-tracks. Since i know a bit about mp3-encoding, i verified that they arent damaged or otherwise non-standard. However, they encoded in VBR, for better quality. VBR has been part of the MP3-standard since the beginning, though, some apps (and especially hardware-players) dont support it (therefore, not being fully MP3-compatible).

My error-log contains the same:
ERROR DATA LOG
07/03/07 : 16:21:53
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
922 : XML_Read() ::: tag not closed '>' :::
922 : XML_Read() ::: Tag not recognised :::

- Lyx
Hold on a minute.  This thread is about an error that stops Echoes running altogether.  If you have this error then how come you also have a problem with the volume controls not working?  You can't have both Smiley

Lyx
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »

He/she had this problem WITHOUT having put custom music in "my music". I though, do have the problem WITH putting custom music in that folder. Thus, i have the option of removing my custom MP3s, and if i do so, the game starts fine Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 09:55:58 PM »

He/she had this problem WITHOUT having put custom music in "my music". I though, do have the problem WITH putting custom music in that folder. Thus, i have the option of removing my custom MP3s, and if i do so, the game starts fine Smiley
Thanks for clearing that up.  So the original post was only about the included music and your problem is only with your own music.  Clearly it's something to do with the way different PC's are handling the mp3's...... but it's not a problem I can recreate and there is no obvious cause, so I don't honestly know what I can do about that. 

Maybe I'll have to write some basic test code to see if we can identify the exact cause of the problem.

Lyx
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 02:16:07 AM »

Thanks. I will encode a test-track tomorrow in CBR, stripped of any tags, just to make sure that it is not because of how the files are encoded/tagged.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »

Thanks. I will encode a test-track tomorrow in CBR, stripped of any tags, just to make sure that it is not because of how the files are encoded/tagged.
Thanks.  If you have any mp3's that wont play could you possibly mail one to me so I can test it?

Lyx
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »

I have narrowed it down to being caused by the TAGS of mp3s. The original poster may have triggered this error by playing the bundled music in one of his audioplayers and (intentionally or unintentionally) tagging it.

Both CBR and VBR work fine, if all tags are stripped. Encoder used was LAME 3.97b4 via commandline.

I will send you a test mp3 via mail to reproduce it. (irrelevant sidenote: the artist and title of this test-mp3 will be wrong, because i just copied the tags from a non-working mp3, to my test-mp3, to make absolutely sure, that it is because of the tags).

What library are you using for decoding mp3s and parsing metadata?

- Lyx

P.S.: This may be another episode of the mess which id3v2 and all its conflicting substandards are.

P.S.2: If it is because of id3v2, then you could possibly fix it in a hackish way, by completely ignoring any tag-information of the mp3s. If you want to display something, just display the filename Smiley
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:20:56 PM by Lyx » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »

Cheers Lyx.  I'm not reading any metadata from the mp3's so it will strange if the tags really are the cause of the problem.  Even stranger that it only appears to be effecting a few PC's.

Lyx
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »

That it affects only a few PCs, could - if id3v2 is the culprit - make more sense, if you know the following:

Nearly all mainstream audioplayers break the ID3v2 standard - basically, among the same id3v2 version (of which there are mutliple ones), there are two standards..... the official one..... and how most players are doing it. Since most people probably use mainstream players, and most decoders are adapted to those "bugs".... those mp3s will probably work fine. If however one is using a player, which adheres strictly to the official id3v2 standard..... like foobar2000 does.... then you may run into the problem, that most decoders dont even know anymore how to decode MP3-metadata which adheres to the official standard (winamp for example wasnt able to do this for a long time, because the devs were too lazy to implement unicode support into the player (officially, all id3v2 tags need to be in unicode)).

Please drop me a line, if you can reproduce the error with the file i sent you. If yes, then i could force foobar2000s tagwriter into compatibility mode (so, doing it like other players are doing it, instead of how it is declared in the official standard). That way, i could make sure, that conflicting id3v2 standards are the culprit.

It IS though strange, that this is affecting echoes, even though as you say it doesnt make use of any metadata.

- Lyx
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:45:38 PM by Lyx » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »

Very interesting Lyx.  I'll be the first to admit I just concentrate on writing the games and have little idea what's going on in the background.

It might take me a day or two to get back to you as I can't access my email from here.  Thanks for your help.  Kang-a-roo!

Lyx
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »

Okay. By the way.... even though i am the pretty much the opposite of an OGG Vorbis fanboy, you may want to use it for future games. OGG Vorbis doesnt have issues like the ones mentioned above - there is just one way to do it, instead of multiple conflicting standards. Downside is that most people probably have their music in MP3-format and therefore would need to reencode or transcode (which requires technical knowledge, is an extra step, and results in quality loss).

- Lyx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
Jump to: