binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Music Error In Echoes And DUO [SOLVED?]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Error In Echoes And DUO [SOLVED?]  (Read 46880 times)
The DarkStar
200 XP

I hate mondays.

smasherbona@hotmail.it
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »

I yet have to find a good mp3-ogg encoder for my Fatboy Slim discography. Any suggestions?
Lyx
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »

Usually, oggdropXPd is the easiest Vorbis encoder (its interface goes like this: set target path and quality, and then just drop files in the window, done). But it only supports lossless files as input (WAV, FLAC, etc).

For general transcoding, it may be interesting to take a look at foobar2000. Even if you dont like foobar as a player (minimalistic UI, too complex options, etc.), you may like it as an encoder and transcoder, for the following reasons:

- it can playback almost any format (popular exceptions are WMA and RealAudio).
- it can encode to ANY format for which a commandline encoder does exist
- it can transcode (convert from one format to another) from all formats which it can playback, to all formats to which it can encode)
- in most cases, it will keep all tags

The result is a tool which can convert almost every audioformat to almost every audioformat.

Configuring foobar for encoding and transcoding goes like this:

1. when installing, make sure to install support for all audioformats which you may want to read. Also make sure that the "converter" gets installed. If neccessary, get support for less popular formats from 3rd party input plugins. (one interesting page is this: http://kode54.foobar2000.org )

2. Get commandline encoders for all formats to which you want to be able to encode. Then put all those executables (i.e. lame.exe, oggsenc.exe, etc.) into the foobar folder. First stop for downloading commandline encoders is Rarewares.org: http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggenc.php )

3. Go into the foobar preferences, then "Tools->Converter". The only important thing here is the "Encoding-Presets"-Area. When you encode or transcode with foobar, you dont manually set the encoding-options everytime. Instead, you pick a preset. You can set the available encoding-presets right here. Some are already added by default. If your preferred setting is not there, just click on "add".

4. Setup done. Now just drag and drop a few source files into the playlist. Mark them with the left mouse button. Rightclick -> Convert -> Convert to..., pick a preset, select output directory, done!

- Lyx

(usual disclaimer: Converting from a lossy format (i.e. mp3) to another lossy format (i.e. ogg vorbis) always results in a slight quality loss. Its as if you first tear a piece from a sheet of paper (mp3), and then tear another piece from it (ogg vorbis). If possible, encode from a lossless source (i.e. CD))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:33:37 PM by Lyx » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »

Well thanks to Lyx we are getting a little bit closer to finding the exact problem here Smiley

Please drop me a line, if you can reproduce the error with the file i sent you. If yes, then i could force foobar2000s tagwriter into compatibility mode (so, doing it like other players are doing it, instead of how it is declared in the official standard). That way, i could make sure, that conflicting id3v2 standards are the culprit.
Indeed, that mp3 caused mine to crash too so it would appear the tags are somehow the culprit.  Whilst this may be difficult to fix with regards to people using their own music files (as we have no control over them), it does mean that we can try removing tags from our own game music to see if that solves the problem for the few that couldn't play that.  It doesn't entirely solve the problem but it's a start.

Thanks again.

Lyx
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »

ugly news:

Whatever id3v2 metdata reader is part of echoes engine, does actually support the "official id3v2 standard" - but only incompletely.... it seems that it just supports the most popular tagframes, but errors if any of the less popular frametypes are encountered. Or in short: id3v2 support is incomplete - if any of the non-implemented parts are encountered, it errors instead of skipping them. At least the so called "TXXX-Frame" causes the crash:

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-29e37534e169ad913deb6a4fee345028f3db7c3f

So, if an mp3 with an id3v2 tag, contains ANY "user defined" tagfield.... no matter what, any.... then it will crash echoes on startup. MP3s work fine with all three - id3v1, id3v2-official and id3v2-nonstandard.... usual tagfields like album, title, tracknumber, date, etc. are no problem...... but as soon as any custom tagfields, like for example "location=berlin" exists, echoes will crash.

- Lyx

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »

Hmm.  I've just used a different library for my music code and it still crashes on that mp3.

The only good thing is that this does appear to effect very few users (not much consolation for them I know).  I get hundreds of emails about various issues people are having (mostly of the "why wont it run on my 48k Spectrum?" variety) and from memory I've never had one raising this music issue before.

Also I've looked on the extensive bug report forums for the language I'm using and nobody else has mentioned this problem so, again, I can safely assume it doesn't effect many people.

At least now, thanks to your efforts, we can suggest a part solution. Smiley

Lyx
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

Not very useful for the current issue, but probably interesting to know: There arent many software mp3-decoders in the world. When counting overall codebases, its less than 5 and even less are in widespread use. Most libs share those decoders among each other. So, it is quite possible that by switching libs, you didn't switch decoders. I understand that it doesnt make much sense to put effort into this issue, since it affects only a low number of users. I am however amazed one more time, about the incompetence of some programmers: The sane procedure to deal with such things is ignorace. If i would get sent various articles from which i should compile a magazine issue, and one of the articles is in a language which i dont understand, then i dont drop the entire magazine issue, but instead just ignore that single article. Not to mention that the decoder seems to do stuff which he wasnt asked to do (reading metadata). Meh, whatever.

- Lyx
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2007, 08:35:18 PM »

I understand that it doesnt make much sense to put effort into this issue, since it affects only a low number of users.
Well in an ideal world I'd like to fix it even if it only effected one user, but ultimately if the solution would be unreasonably time consuming, then it's just not a realistic thing for me to spend my time on.

Not to mention that the decoder seems to do stuff which he wasnt asked to do (reading metadata).
Apparently so.  Quite frustrating .

Martoon
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

Sorry to necro, but I found a solution to the music loading error!  On my machine, anyway, but I suspect it will work for other people as well.

Just install the MP3 Source Filter.  You can get it here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DS_MP3_Source_Filter.htm

It's a DirectShow filter for decoding MP3s, and it deals with some typical bugs (one of which I believe is causing the crash in Echoes and DUO).  I'm also able to run some other games now that crashed before on MP3 loading (like RPG Maker 2003 games).
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »

Sorry to necro, but I found a solution to the music loading error!  On my machine, anyway, but I suspect it will work for other people as well.

Just install the MP3 Source Filter.  You can get it here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DS_MP3_Source_Filter.htm

It's a DirectShow filter for decoding MP3s, and it deals with some typical bugs (one of which I believe is causing the crash in Echoes and DUO).  I'm also able to run some other games now that crashed before on MP3 loading (like RPG Maker 2003 games).

Hi Martoon Smiley

As mentioned elsewhere this was always a problem I was unable to duplicate myself using the proper game music so I've no way of testing that fix, but I do hope it helps some people out.

Many thanks for taking the time to register and offering a possible solution.  Very much appreciated.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Jump to: