binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Echoes 1.03
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echoes 1.03  (Read 45884 times)
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »

todayisforgotten, I suspect your problem isn't related to Windows 7, since echoes 1.03 works fine here with Win7 Pro x64.
However, you could try all the usual stuff, including:

- Re-download echoes and install it to a directory tree such as d:\games\echoes and not to something like c:\here be my stuffZorz\...another directory\my fabulous games!!!\echoez\  (try to limit the directory path length to something below 256 characters as well)
- Run echoes as administrator
- check this and also this and see if you're suffering from the same problem.
- ...aaand I'm all out of ideas.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:07:11 AM by las6 » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »

Hi todayisforgotten and welcome.

Firstly, I understand this game has been around for awhile on the PC and that you do have other things going in your life and programming world.  I also highly doubt you'll bother with compatibility with w7 but here we go anyhow...
This version wont get updated, but the plan is to release Echoes+ on PC too.

I honestly can't comment on W7 compatability.  IIRC nobody else has contacted me with any problems relating to that and I can't test it myself so I can only suggest you try las6's advice above.  He always knows more about these things than me anyway.

For XP I have installed the 360 controller drivers (this does work flawless in w7).  The issue in echoes on XP is it comes up as unsupported in the main game menu (red text).  When you click on controller setup in echoes it is then recognized, but when you go back to the main menu it is not.  XP recognizes the 360 controller in device manager and controller setup as a 360 controller.  When in echoes o call it.
Strange.  The 360 controller works perfectly for me here without any setting up in Echoes at all.

When you go into the set-up option have you tried ignoring the "controller recognised" text and setting it up anyway?  That should work.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »

Can't say I ever had problems myself on XP as it always ran smooth with Controller support... i'm too addicted to Crack though... Wink
prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »

i'm too addicted to Crack though... Wink
and fog,
you say you dont know why you get so many drug references from critics? Smiley
todayisforgotten
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »

todayisforgotten, I suspect your problem isn't related to Windows 7, since echoes 1.03 works fine here with Win7 Pro x64.
However, you could try all the usual stuff, including:

- Re-download echoes and install it to a directory tree such as d:\games\echoes and not to something like c:\here be my stuffZorz\...another directory\my fabulous games!!!\echoez\  (try to limit the directory path length to something below 256 characters as well)
- Run echoes as administrator
- check this and also this and see if you're suffering from the same problem.
- ...aaand I'm all out of ideas.

I have tried running it in compatibility mode and in Run As Admin.  When testing the compatibility in windows 7; windows 7 even says this game is incompatible upon using windows xp mode.  I've not dealt with many incompatibilities but usually a game never runs when it prompts me with this.  The strange thing with echoes is it will run and go for awhile.  Once it reports that bad command at like xxxx it no longer runs until i reboot.

I have echoes in the root of my c.  C:\echoes.  I'll try moving it to my d or e or f drive.  

Quote from: fog
Strange.  The 360 controller works perfectly for me here without any setting up in Echoes at all.

When you go into the set-up option have you tried ignoring the "controller recognised" text and setting it up anyway?  That should work.
I suspect im getting flakey results with XP because its running on a 1.6 ghz dell laptop from a few years ago.  If i still had XP on my desktop I'm positive i would not have this right analog issue.  As I mentioned in the setup screen the right stick is pegged like: \ while i can free-rotate the left.  When i set the keys to wasd and load up xpadder I can play with both sticks and the game works, but occasionally doing a sweep of 180 degrees from say 270 to 90 during that arc it will flip sections.   In other words only focusing on the top most half of the right anaolog stick's 360 degrees when i sweep the upper half xpadder confuses that motion and throws to 180 degrees or the lower half of the 360 degrees.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:50:28 PM by todayisforgotten » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

I suspect im getting flakey results with XP because its running on a 1.6 ghz dell laptop from a few years ago.
It was written on an 8 year old 1.6Ghz machine and works perfectly on that so there must be more to the problem than that Smiley

If i still had XP on my desktop I'm positive i would not have this right analog issue.  As I mentioned in the setup screen the right stick is pegged like: \ while i can free-rotate the left.  When i set the keys to wasd and load up xpadder I can play with both sticks and the game works, but occasionally doing a sweep of 180 degrees from say 270 to 90 during that arc it will flip sections.   In other words only focusing on the top most half of the right anaolog stick's 360 degrees when i sweep the upper half xpadder confuses that motion and throws to 180 degrees or the lower half of the 360 degrees.
Very strange.  The movement being locked to up&left is exactly what displays on mine if the joypad isn't set up properly in the game.  Reconfiguring it using the in game app should easily fix that so I've no idea what is happening in your case.

Could you use the in game joypad set-up option and then print the contents of the "my_joypad.config" file in the Data directory here please?

todayisforgotten
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »

Forget it.  I am an idiot.  I never read the text when configuring the joystick.  Upon using a little reading and some logic it now works.  Thanks.  We'll just pretend i never typed any of that.  It was my dog...ya, thats it!
todayisforgotten
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2009, 03:50:52 AM »

Tried moving echoes to my D drive.  No go.  What it does do is make my task bar a dark blue (was transparent) and makes my Firefox black, my desktop picture smaller with black borders.

The error i am getting is : Runtime Error 302 - Sprite does not exist at line 9903.  I did not remove any files. 
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »

Forget it.  I am an idiot.  I never read the text when configuring the joystick.  Upon using a little reading and some logic it now works.  Thanks.  We'll just pretend i never typed any of that.  It was my dog...ya, thats it!
lol.  Tell the dog it's ok.  Thanks for letting me know.

Tried moving echoes to my D drive.  No go.  What it does do is make my task bar a dark blue (was transparent) and makes my Firefox black, my desktop picture smaller with black borders.

The error i am getting is : Runtime Error 302 - Sprite does not exist at line 9903.  I did not remove any files. 
Right, no idea with that one.  All the path names are relative and it works fine here on any drive so I'm thinking must be something to do with your set-up? 

todayisforgotten
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »

Ya, im not too sure.  I did encounter the same error on the Dell Laptop.  Although, I was able to get back into the game with no problem.  I really am not sure what It could be.  I don't know if i'll play echoes that much on the pc as i just wanted to try it out, but i have all UAC settings off that could cause a conflict.  My windows 7 setup is customized much like i would with xp; As little nuances as possible.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »

Ya, im not too sure.  I did encounter the same error on the Dell Laptop.  Although, I was able to get back into the game with no problem.  I really am not sure what It could be.  I don't know if i'll play echoes that much on the pc as i just wanted to try it out, but i have all UAC settings off that could cause a conflict.  My windows 7 setup is customized much like i would with xp; As little nuances as possible.
DO you have something running that could take focus away from Echoes?  Clicking on anything when Echoes is running will cause it to crash so if you're trying to use Firefox or something at the same time that wont work unfortunately.

(Direct X drops all media if the game window loses focus and DBPro doesn't give me any easy way to load it all back in again.  If this happens then that would cause your "missing sprite" error)

todayisforgotten
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »

The only thing i can think of is i have a dual monitor setup.  I very rarely disable it when playing games.  I could try that but i couldn't say when i'll try it (:
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »

That sounds cool, glad its all ok :/
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »

The only thing i can think of is i have a dual monitor setup.  I very rarely disable it when playing games.  I could try that but i couldn't say when i'll try it (:
Yeah a few people have mentioned that dual monitors is a problem.  Another Direct X & DBPro issue.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
Jump to: