binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Microsoft (XBox etc)............................
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft (XBox etc)............................  (Read 152889 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »

Quote from: fog
Anyhoo please tell me I'm not the only one that's tried SPace Giraffe so far?  I'm holding off making too many comments until I've had a bit more of a play.  One thing I can confidently say though is I've never played anything like it.

I have. You can see me moaning about it over at YakYak Smiley
Hah really? Smiley  *scurries off to search through YakYak SG threads*

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »

Not slagging the game itself just the idiotic decision not to include any options to disable (or at least tone down) the visualiser.  Some people love it but I just think it's a bloody mess.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:32 PM »

Not slagging the game itself just the idiotic decision not to include any options to disable (or at least tone down) the visualiser.  Some people love it but I just think it's a bloody mess.
Yeah the trippy background is the whole appeal for some people but for the most people I can see it being a cause of major frustration.

I still honestly still can't make my mind up.  When it's good it's absolutely superb but repeated deaths due to things you didn't see does push you very near that frustration threshold.  It obviously is possible in some way to see what is killing you as some of the highscores prove that but, for mere mortals like myself, I honestly can't see how.  I'd love someone to explain how you can see or at least be aware ofevery enemy and bullet in every situation because I'm struggling to pick up the necessary visual and audible clues.

Right now it's a total love/hate thing and without Jeffs name attached to it I might well have given up by now (actually I'd have given up after the "tutorial" but that's a different story)

I'd love to hear what more people who aren't aware of Yaks previous works make of it.  I've demonstrated it to a couple of people and they refused to even have a go lol

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 12:13:07 AM »

My god I've been playing Space Giraffe again and I think I've had an epiphany.  Either that or I've discovered "The Force" Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »

I've been sneaking about an hour on it each night.  I do like it mostly, it's very good but there are some crazy design decisions.  Obviously not being able to tone down Neon is the major one for me - I've resorted to the "pause the music" trick but it's still a bit too wild.  I'm just hoping that he doesn't use it for ALL his games from now on but I get the feeling he will.  I've never been one for his visualiser stuff Sad

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 12:07:54 PM »

I've been sneaking about an hour on it each night.  I do like it mostly, it's very good but there are some crazy design decisions.  Obviously not being able to tone down Neon is the major one for me - I've resorted to the "pause the music" trick but it's still a bit too wild.  I'm just hoping that he doesn't use it for ALL his games from now on but I get the feeling he will.  I've never been one for his visualiser stuff Sad
I haven't played for a few days now.  I had been slowly replaying the levels over and over again to squeeze as many points out of them as possible, slowly moving up the leaderboards.  Then the powerup/powerzone bug was discovered meaning the leaderboards were effectively pointless so I lost a bit of incentive.  I'll be back on when that's patched.  Until then I might just go on and work my way through the levels ignoring scores.  Just a bit gutted that all the hours I've put into bumping up my level restart scores is going to be wiped out.  Tongue

As for the visualiser stuff I'm in two minds.  I've never been interested in the stand alone visualiser apps but now that I can "see through it" in SG, I think Neon works really well.  It's still not perfect mind and I can see why for a lot of people it makes the game totally unplayable (as they keep telling me in quite colourful language at every opportunity Smiley ).

My concern (voiced on YakYak but completely misinterpreted) was that a lot of people seemed to be advocated remaking an old game and just slapping it on a Neon background without any consideration for whether that would actually make for a better game or not.  Games designed around Neon will work but they must be games designed with that in mind .  I'm sure Jeff understands that, I'm just not sure everyone else fully appreciates it.

Putting in an option to tone down the Neon stuff is a tricky one.  Based on a lot of the feedback it would certainly make sense to include the option if only to make it more accessible for people and help boost sales.  If however part of the games inherent difficulty is due to the confusing background then how can you allow them to turn it off without compromising gameplay and highscore tables?

Anyway rant over.  Once I "got it" the other night, it did become immeasurably more playable.  I still occasionally die due to things I didn't/couldn't see but not as frequently.  I just wish the Neon stuff had been toned down on the earlier levels so that I could have concentrated on learning the gameplay mechanics without the "random death" frustration.  It would have made the whole experience a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »

Been trying a bunch of demos from XBL and there are some interesting titles coming up.

Two flight sims = I can't remember their names but they were both so bad they are probably best forgotten about anyway.

MoH = MeH

Tiger Woods = spot the difference

Madden = actaully worse than the last version I played on PS2

Skate = great control scheme.  Will need a lot of practice but a possible Tony Hawkes beater.

Fatal Inertia = looks nice, plays like an uninspired pile of crap.

Timeshift = it's had a rewrite and it's surprisingly good.  Not sure the time shifting idea is enough to carry the game though.

Dark Sector = nice but nothing new.

And finally Stranglehold gets 8.1 on IGN.  Can't wait.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

Mass Effect release date confirmed for Europe as November 23rd.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/news-features/news/MassEffect-30-08-2007.htm

I love my 360  Kang-a-roo!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »

Pity it can't love you back, eh? Tongue

I still want a PS3 but I'm not sure why at the moment. Still waiting for LittleBigPlanet and I want to see some more big releases on it.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »

Forgot to say earlier that I also tried the Stuntman demo on XBLA.  Anyone know how to repair a 360 controller?  Tongue

Flawed idea.  Seriously flawed implementation.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »

Repairing controllers... that reminds me of all the kiosks for the original Xbox I used to see where the analog sticks still worked, but the springs had been damaged inside so the stick fails to spring back to center Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »

Repairing controllers... that reminds me of all the kiosks for the original Xbox I used to see where the analog sticks still worked, but the springs had been damaged inside so the stick fails to spring back to center Tongue
No such problems with the 360 controller.  It is a thing of true beauty.  Well the d-pad is a bit crap but I can't say I've ever found a d-pad that was totally satisfactory.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »

Wooh good times.

Officially confirmed for XBLA:
Every Extend Extra Extreme
Exit
Ikaruga
Omega Five
REZ HD
Triggerheart Exelica
Braid
Gatecrashers
Schizoid

I've just preordered Halo 3 and my copy of Strangle hold has just dropped through the door Smiley

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »

Yeah, a friend showed that to me yesterday at school. My response:

"Dude, Rez AND Ikaruga? Come on now! If this isn't God telling me to get an xbox360, I don't know what is!"

Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »

Yeah, a friend showed that to me yesterday at school. My response:

"Dude, Rez AND Ikaruga? Come on now! If this isn't God telling me to get an xbox360, I don't know what is!"

Smiley
You're not wrong Wink  Best machine around ATM.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38 Go Up Print 
Jump to: