binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Microsoft (XBox etc)............................
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft (XBox etc)............................  (Read 152990 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #540 on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »

Admittedly just based on messing around in the demo for an hour or so I'd have to agree with TheKhakinator.  Proper Forza is great sim, I think we all agree with that, but this isn't a Forza game other than in name.  It doesn't matter what you do with the settings it still feels like an arcade racer at heart.  If they hadn't slapped the Forza name on it it would get a much easier time from critics, but I guess they wouldn't have sold as many copies.

It's not like there aren't already a ton of arcade racers out there either.  Doubly disappointing when you see what has happened to the fantastic PGR series and its devs.  I'd love another TOCA world series game too.

I haven't bought a sim racer for a couple of years since GT5 so was looking to buy Horizon....so glad I tried the demo. Back to GT5.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm really glad I tried it first. I wanted to buy it because I wanted a racer I could play with friends who aren't into the more traditional circuit racing in Forza 4, something a bit fun. But I really don't enjoy Horizon, after playing a real sim it just feels so disconnected and fake! A pity, because the gameplay is a lot of fun, with challenges and rivals and such. Just the actual physics that makes it no fun for me.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #542 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »

Yeah, I'm really glad I tried it first. I wanted to buy it because I wanted a racer I could play with friends who aren't into the more traditional circuit racing in Forza 4, something a bit fun. But I really don't enjoy Horizon, after playing a real sim it just feels so disconnected and fake! A pity, because the gameplay is a lot of fun, with challenges and rivals and such. Just the actual physics that makes it no fun for me.
The latest Need for Speed might be worth looking at if you're after something fun and not circuit based.  While obviously not a sim it feels very similar to Burnout Paradise in places.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #543 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »

Just looking at hardware failure rates for consoles this gen and the XBox360 ones are even worse than and I thought and I'm saying that as someone on their 5th console so I already thought they were crap.

In 2009 almost 60% of 360s failed, and that's 4 years after launch after they've had time to work on the problem.  I'd love to know how many replacement consoles are included in the official sales figures.  I bet it's close to 50%.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-failure-rates-are-reportedly-down-ps3-failure-rates-just-generation-comes-to-a-close/

* failure_rates.jpg (38.69 KB, 620x321 - viewed 273 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2012, 02:56:32 AM »

Thats an incredible stat.   Shocked

And totally unacceptable for the 360.

I don't understand the success of the 360 given these stats.

Surely a PC is by far the better option.

Maybe it's the marketing of the machine and the 360 only titles that's contributed to it's success.

And surely it's in Microsoft's best interests to nail the hardware faults.  Not least of which, so it doesn't damage their reputation for future sales.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

I don't understand the success of the 360 given these stats.
It was the first next gen console released, a full year before the PS3 so it had the market to itself and got a sales headstart over the competition of millions.  With the rise of Live and online multiplayer if you wanted a console you got a 360 because that's where most of your mates were.

The horrific failure rates were obvious long before Microsoft admitted it and extended the warranty to 3 years and offered to fix them for free.  It must have cost them billions.

When I got my first 360 repaired they sent it back in nice protective cardboard box which I kept.  I then passed it onto whichever mates had just died so they could post it back to Microsoft and get another box they could pass on.  "Have you got the coffin?" was a laughably common question.

It might be telling that although they had a year head start on the PS3 lifetime sales are now equal so maybe their reputation has been harmed.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #546 on: February 06, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

Details of the new XBox from Edge.  BunnyMonkey!

I rent a load of games and anything like this method of stopping second hand game sales will kill that as well.  Tongue

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #547 on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

I rent a load of games and anything like this method of stopping second hand game sales will kill that as well. 

Yeh, i can imagine it will put off a lot of potential buyers.

This will be really interesting to see how it pans out.

I expect other manufacturers to follow suit if the MS system proves profitable.

I wonder if hackers will be able to circumvent the drm system though.

A bit like chipping a Playstation.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #548 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

I rent a load of games and anything like this method of stopping second hand game sales will kill that as well. 

Yeh, i can imagine it will put off a lot of potential buyers.

This will be really interesting to see how it pans out.

I expect other manufacturers to follow suit if the MS system proves profitable.
I think it's less directly about profit for MS and more about keeping 3rd party publishers happy as its mainly them complaining about the second hand market.

And if publishers are pushing for it and MS have agreed then I'd say Sony have little choice but to do the same (if they weren't already) or risk seeing those 3rd parties publishing exclusively on XBox.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »

Very upset about the used game thing. Probably 70% or more of the Xbox games I play are borrowed from friends (I have nowhere near the money required to purchase games in the first two weeks of launch but am more then happy to catch up a few months down the track).

I don't think chipping's that viable; hacked Xboxes are routinely banned (interestingly though in waves - I feel like MS wants people to still be able to play with their hacked box for a while so they keep buying LIVE and more games, and then brick their Xbox so they'll buy a new one). Though for someone like me that hardly ever plays online I guess I could possibly chip.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #550 on: February 09, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »

Very upset about the used game thing. Probably 70% or more of the Xbox games I play are borrowed from friends (I have nowhere near the money required to purchase games in the first two weeks of launch but am more then happy to catch up a few months down the track).
Likewise and that's where Playstation+ is so fantastic if you don't mind waiting a couple of months for games.  £30 a year and I'm getting about 6 "free" games every month.  Currently playing Sleeping Dogs which is a great  Smiley

I can't justify paying for Live any more.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »

So the XBox One (really?) was unveiled last night and it's fair to say the focus wasn't really on games.  This highlights vid sums things up perfectly.  Grin

Microsoft really need to pull out some awesome games at e3.  Just 3 years ago the 360 was easily my console of choice and now it goes for months without being turned on.  Where did it all go wrong Microsoft?

It also looks like an 80's Beatmax top-loader.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #552 on: May 23, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

Interesting.   Roll Eyes

TMC
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:09:46 AM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #553 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

With the XBone selling quite poorly relative to the PS4 Micorosoft have taking the inevitable decision to ditch Kinect and drop the price.

Xbox One to be sold without Kinect for $399

Interestingly their statement tries to big-up Kinect by releasing usage figures which they claim show how many existing users love using it. I wouldn't say 4 commands per day was good especially when 2 of those are likely to be "XBox On" and "XBox Off".  Smiley

To be clear, as we introduce this new Xbox One console option, Kinect remains an important part of our vision. Many of you are using Kinect for Xbox One every day. In fact, more than 80 percent of you are actively using Kinect, with an average of 120 voice commands per month on each console.

mrjack
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 13, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »

A few commands that don't register also I wonder..  Kang-a-roo!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 Go Up Print 
Jump to: