binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Microsoft (XBox etc)............................
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft (XBox etc)............................  (Read 152989 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »

Trials HD is ridiculously fun, and I really don't know why. The idea is pretty simple, motor bike, sidescrolling, and physics obstacles. It's excite bike and flatout's child.
I'll have to try the demo.  I hated the PC version as I do all those similar Flash games, but maybe it will play better with a proper controller.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »

Trials HD is ridiculously fun, and I really don't know why. The idea is pretty simple, motor bike, sidescrolling, and physics obstacles. It's excite bike and flatout's child.
I'll have to try the demo.  I hated the PC version as I do all those similar Flash games, but maybe it will play better with a proper controller.

Ok I tried the Trials HD demo and I'm still undecided.  The controls feel much better than on the PC version I played (although rotation still feels a little sluggish) and there seems to be plenty of content.

My main problem though is with the track design or more specifically how little of it you can see on screen.  Even on some of the easy tracks you can't see what's ahead of you and where you are supposed to land, so it's impossible to clear them without learning every jump and failing several times.

In platform games everyone calls that the leap of faith and it's universally recognised as shit design.

I'm just not sure I can be arsed learning each track in Trials before I can start enjoying riding on them.  It's no Kickstart 2.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #377 on: August 17, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »

I can't believe I'm saying this......Trials HD is winning me over.  I'm still just playing the demo, however because of that I'm now familiar with all the tracks and it's really enjoyable.

I still stand by what I said about having to learn all the "leap of fate" jumps on every track being seriously crap, but maybe now I can be bothered to do it.

It's like sticking with that difficult Radiohead album until it clicks  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »

Ok I caved and bought Trials HD.

Do you have a proper Live enabled Gamertag now Eric?  I need some more Friends times to aim for  Kang-a-roo!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »

Mate o' mine plays Trials, looks like a bit of fun, if possibly frustrating at times.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »

Mate o' mine plays Trials, looks like a bit of fun, if possibly frustrating at times.
Almost Smiley  It's frustrating, if fun at times.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »

so, I tried out the new demos today.

WET - utter crap. I thought the main character was at least semi-decent, but then she opened her mouth. Slowly opening door is all it takes to boil her blood. I guess it's no wonder half the game is played in rage-mode.

DIRT 2 - Try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to like this one. It has purrrty graphics, refreshing style, funny menus and a pretty cool soundtrack to boot (as far as I can tell). Problem is, I hate driving those cars. Sliding 100% of the time. Dirt isn't just GRID with buggies, it's an arcade game whereas GRID would be simulator. This is apparent in the way that collisions don't seem to matter at all (with damage = full), the car often flies through obstacles and it might even do a couple backflips for you if you act nice. I guess some people are going to like this, me - I'm going to wait for GRID 2.

Shadow Complex - Instant buy. Seriously. The only niggle that I have is the consolesque save system. The game saves only in save rooms and it does so automatically. Never mind the fact that you can run into these rooms by accident when looking for all the secrets. Also, when loading/saving, enemies seem to respawn. (silly, but it means more exp for me!)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:21 PM »

DIRT 2 - Try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to like this one. It has purrrty graphics, refreshing style, funny menus and a pretty cool soundtrack to boot (as far as I can tell). Problem is, I hate driving those cars. Sliding 100% of the time. Dirt isn't just GRID with buggies, it's an arcade game whereas GRID would be simulator. This is apparent in the way that collisions don't seem to matter at all (with damage = full), the car often flies through obstacles and it might even do a couple backflips for you if you act nice. I guess some people are going to like this, me - I'm going to wait for GRID 2.
Same here.  The problem I have is that for the majority of the tracks (ie. not the circuits) is that you have to learn them otherwise you spend your whole time sliding wide and not knowing how best to correct the slide because you don't know which way the track will turn next.  In a circuit based game learning them is fair enough, but in a stage based game where you race each one only once, that's a serious pain.

Realistic?  Maybe.  Fun?  Certainly not.

None of the recent CMR/Dirt games have been anywhere near as good as the first 2 IMO.  You could drive any of those game's stages relatively well at the first attempt just by relying on the co-drivers pace notes.  I don't know what they've changed, but that's just not as easy any more.

Shadow Complex - Instant buy. Seriously. The only niggle that I have is the consolesque save system. The game saves only in save rooms and it does so automatically. Never mind the fact that you can run into these rooms by accident when looking for all the secrets. Also, when loading/saving, enemies seem to respawn. (silly, but it means more exp for me!)
Although I've only played the demo so far, it's a nice bit of old school 2D gameplay isn't it Smiley 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:31:11 PM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »

"Game of the Year" editions of both Gears of War and Fable II are coming out soon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/special-edition-gears-2-fable-ii-on-the-way

It's an obvious question, but with other GotY games already out, how can we have several different games all effectively claiming to be GotY?

I mean is this a title you can only use after being awarded it or can you claim whatever you want?  Could I release mono under the name "mono: officially the greatest game ever made" ?

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2009, 02:24:58 AM »

"Echoes+: Greatest Game of All Time Edition"
Do it Cheesy

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »

"Echoes+: Greatest Game of All Time Edition"
Do it Cheesy
I have been considering something along those lines so I might just do it Wink

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #386 on: September 03, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

So until now Microsoft have insisted that all games run in HD (1280 x 720) however they've now dropped that demand.

In the latest of his regular tech columns for Develop, Black Rock Studio's David Jefferies has suggested that Microsoft has dropped the requirement put in place that demands developers' games made for the 360 feature 1280x720.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/32739/Xbox-360-HD-requirements-dropped

Now that to me suggests that developers are hitting the limits of what the 360 is capable of and the only way of keeping the framerate acceptable is by reducing the resolution.  Maybe not a great sign if this gen really is to last as long as predicted.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #387 on: September 04, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

Thats the issue developing software to some elses guidelines.  In this case, MS.

And those guidelines can change at whim.

Although one big advantage of developing for the xbox is that a pc port is also very doable.

And the PC market gives the developer pretty much total freedom.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #388 on: September 04, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »

Thats the issue developing software to some elses guidelines.  In this case, MS.

And those guidelines can change at whim.

Although one big advantage of developing for the xbox is that a pc port is also very doable.

And the PC market gives the developer pretty much total freedom.
Aye that's true, although the "freedom" of the PC market arguably makes things a hell of a lot harder for us devs.  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »

How much time can one get out of GRID? I absolutely LOVE it but the lack of splitscreen is hurting me deeply - splitscreen racing is a tradition here, one I'd be sad to see die. Not having that would make it mostly a single-player experience for me and I'm curious as to how much it has. PGR2 had at least 50 hours spent on it and that was before the 100+ hours of multiplayer I've put in.

And GOD I hate Forza 2. Go slightly too fast into corner,  car doesn't turn at all.  Use brakes, car hits wall. It just feels really unresponsive, like when I'm playing SoulCalibur II and my brother's just wailing on the buttons and I can't get a hit in. A controller-thrower of a game.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Go Up Print 
Jump to: