binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 191 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 457197 times)
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »

So Basically my "company" is called AngryPuppy. The name was inspired by the two guys in my team, myself and my good pal. We both started out creating comics together (which we still do and will upload on our own site in the future), anyway He was referred to as MadJ, well with me as JDog y'all can work it out =)

Anyway I am currently working on a shmup inspired by the guys down here at Binary Zoo, but in Flash of all things, which can of course be played in the web browser (hint, hint upon completion and checking).

Today I added the motion blurring system on the player, which looks sweet from what I have been seeing of it, which is alot.
I also sorted out my collision system with bullets to enemys and with enemys to player.

Since I want the game to be infinitely long I have been toying with the idea of doing either an Echoes style system with having levels introducing the new enemies or the same enemies in different spawn patterns, or to go for a Geometry Wars/mono system with steadily progressively harder levels without a textual introduction into each level of difficulty.
Also since I don't know my end of game enemy or what the enemy in my game is yet, its still up for debate.
I also can't decide which gun to lumber the player with, since its my first title I won't give the player progressively better guns per level or through bonusses so what they start with, is what they finish with. Either single, double spreadshot, or triple spreadshot ?

Post your thoughts and ideas here people. Also, hope you don't mind Fog.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:23:03 PM by JDog053 » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

Nice one JDog Smiley

Today I added the motion blurring system on the player, which looks sweet from what I have been seeing of it, which is alot.
I also sorted out my collision system with bullets to enemys and with enemys to player.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'll be very interested to see just how fast you can get this running in Flash with a load of bullets and enemies on screen.

Since I want the game to be infinitely long I have been toying with the idea of doing either an Echoes style system with having levels introducing the new enemies or the same enemies in different spawn patterns, or to go for a Geometry Wars/mono system with steadily progressively harder levels without a textual introduction into each level of difficulty.
As long as the level introduction doesn't break the flow of the game I don't think it really matters.  With an Echoes/GW style of game the only important thing is you keep the action coming. Smiley

I also can't decide which gun to lumber the player with, since its my first title I won't give the player progressively better guns per level or through bonusses so what they start with, is what they finish with. Either single, double spreadshot, or triple spreadshot ?
In theory the amount of damage the gun does is far more important to the gameplay than whether it has single, double or triple bullet streams.  However, having multiple bullet streams makes the player feel more powerful and everyone likes that feeling even if it doesn't do any more damage, so I'd go with that option.  It's the only reason your weapon in Crack has two bullet streams Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »

In theory the amount of damage the gun does is far more important to the gameplay than whether it has single, double or triple bullet streams.  However, having multiple bullet streams makes the player feel more powerful and everyone likes that feeling even if it doesn't do any more damage, so I'd go with that option.  It's the only reason your weapon in Crack has two bullet streams Smiley
This is why my two favourite weapons in mono are the triple-straight-stream and that 8-stream-sweeper thing I like to call "The Sweeper of Death".  Cheesy

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »

Yeh, as a player, i like to be able to upgrade my weapons. If not power wise, at least graphicaly.  Gives a good sense of progress when you do and gives you someting to aim for, so to speak.

TMC
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

Just thought I would update some more

Motion blurring, since I am a perfectionist I have been tampering with the blurring system and the original system from before has had an overhaul making for a much better looking effect and more typical of what can be seen on Binary Zoo games. So I will now never touch motion blurring again in this little demo game.

I have decided on double spreadshot guns, because aswell as making the player feel more powerful, it also looks pretty cool.

I also decided that I should make the screen size a bit larger because with more bullets on screen becoms much more of a necessity for a larger play area, so the 550x300 has been scrapped in favour of the far superior 550x400 (since its meant to be played in a browser I wouldn't want it to be massive, just suitable for most size screens.

I will be sending my current progress to you Fog in an email most probs straight after I finish typing this update, tell me what you think as always.

The only thinkg that I am in dyer need of at the moment is an enemy idea, or ideas. I am probably going to have just the one enemy in this game, but the enemy will of course get progressively harder. I have been thinking about a simple enemy which spawns randomly on screen with a spawning animation then moves around at a random speed bouncing off the walls, and the variable is the time between spawns, then maybe they eventually start shooting the player at random intervals. Just an idea, tell me what you think =)

Also writing a DevBlog is fun !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »

I have decided on double spreadshot guns, because aswell as making the player feel more powerful, it also looks pretty cool.
That's a good enough reason for me Smiley

The only thinkg that I am in dyer need of at the moment is an enemy idea, or ideas. I am probably going to have just the one enemy in this game, but the enemy will of course get progressively harder. I have been thinking about a simple enemy which spawns randomly on screen with a spawning animation then moves around at a random speed bouncing off the walls, and the variable is the time between spawns, then maybe they eventually start shooting the player at random intervals. Just an idea, tell me what you think =)
The bouncing enemy "spawner" is a neat idea. Rather than just have the time between spawns decrease though I'd be tempted to introduce extra "spawners".  I only say this because with a single spawning location the player always knows where the next enemy will appear and can quite easily follow it around, immediately killing any new enemies spawned.  Even just the introduction of a second "spawner" solves that problem.

Anyway that's just my opinion and without playing it, it's just a theory.  I'm sure during testing you'll see what works best.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »

The X and Y variables are a given Fog, the enemies would spawn randomly anywhere on screen, but I would be duplicating the enemy. So say after every 50 Frames a new enemy will duplicate, and this variable would change over the levels. So the enemy that I'm thinkin' about doing would spawn randomly on screen then move around in a  randomly decided direction then proceed to bounce off the walls depending on the initial vector. Enemies would continue to spawn constanty, so there is a constant threat. Although initially there would be a 5 second delay on the first level to allow for players to prepare for the onslaught of enemies, then say fr level 1 they would spawn with 150 frames gap meaning that for every enemy that spawns a person has time to react, level 2 would be 100 so that players would have to react that bit quicker, level 3 would be set to 50 meaning that they will be constantly moving just to stay alive and most probably the final level of difficulty.

If I do do a level system I haven't decided what sould initiate the level transition, whether it should be a random time interval or a random score bracket ?

I have decided to keep this game decidedly mono (pun intended, I couldn't help myself). So I'm most probably gonna stick with Black and White and have gradients when it comes to explosions between the 2 colours.

Oh yeah, Fog, did you have a look/glance at the most recent build, without enemies still for obvious reasons. Was wondering if the blurring looks similar to the stuff your producing and if the shots for the characters gun is suitable ?

Next thing I hope to introduce is the enemy spawning system, combine that with my collision system to allow the player to shoot and destroy enemies, player will remain invincible while I'm tweaking the shooting stuff. I'm also gonna code and test the level transition system to see which of my two ideas work, even typing this now I think i'll be going for a random time interval because I realised that it means people who don't shoot and kill enemies will still be flushed through the levels. I'm also really tempted to enlarge the screen by a further 100 pixels on the Y axis just to give more room for the player to move around, this also allows more room for enemies to spawn.

I'll keep you all updated. =)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »

....then say fr level 1 they would spawn with 150 frames gap meaning that for every enemy that spawns a person has time to react, level 2 would be 100 so that players would have to react that bit quicker, level 3 would be set to 50 meaning that they will be constantly moving just to stay alive and most probably the final level of difficulty.
I hope you meant a time interval there and not actual frames otherwise the game will play differently depending on your FSP Smiley

Absolutely everything needs to be timer related in my experience.

Oh yeah, Fog, did you have a look/glance at the most recent build, without enemies still for obvious reasons. Was wondering if the blurring looks similar to the stuff your producing and if the shots for the characters gun is suitable ?
Not yet but I will Smiley  I handle all my Binary Zoo related email on another PC and only check it every few days due to the length of time it takes to deal with it all.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »

....then say for level 1 they would spawn with 150 frames gap meaning that for every enemy that spawns a person has time to react, level 2 would be 100 so that players would have to react that bit quicker, level 3 would be set to 50 meaning that they will be constantly moving just to stay alive and most probably the final level of difficulty.
I hope you meant a time interval there and not actual frames otherwise the game will play differently depending on your FSP Smiley

Absolutely everything needs to be timer related in my experience.

I did mean it was time intervals, its all relative to what I do in flash, I have to set my own variable, its the same as a second, but it gets incremented wierdly, I will sort some stuff out and run a test routine soon, most probs a clock of some sort and I'll compare the rate it runs with the actual time. If it runs great then thats a good thing, if not then I'll do it by score, but I can most probably do it with a score bracket, randomly assigned at the beginning of the program at runtime.

I have been thinking of an effect I wouldn't mind doing perhaps during level transitions or just throughout the course of the game, basically the player starts off in Black and the background in white, same with the enemies, then It fades through to White for the player and black for the background with everything adjusting at the same time. I would have to do it quickly but not too quickly to give the desired effect, but if I did do that bit of graphical wizardry (yeah, in comparison to BZoo its tame) I would have to disallow the idea of a level system. I'll test both out anyway.

Well I will continue to post as stuff happens. My quest is to get this little pup(py) out of the doors by the end of February. Maybe then I will have designed a far superior game to this simple test that I am doing at the moment.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

Time for a new update !!! Huzzah !

Basically, what was asked of me before was to add diagonal shooting options, I have spent the last few days tinkering with my code to make this a possibility. It was touch because my and command business that I thought would work didn't then I found out the th and comman was depreciated so I had to use the "&&" symbols instead, on replacing this I thought it'd work, sadly it didn't. Luckily however on this day I realise that if I sandwich one input code within another the condition only comes true if both of the pre-requisites are met, so Yay me. Diagnol shooting to the original 4 way shooting creates an 8-way shooting system, so i'm pretty happy.

On the enemy front, I can finally return to the enemy I had in my mind initially. Basically a large spawner will come in from one of the sides (randomly determined side, Thanks Fog) then follow the player. As well as this the large spawner is also spewing out many more smaller enemies in an explosive pattern, so the player needs to keep on his/her feet at the moment.

I havebeen tampering with player Health, Large and small enemy health and have a system sorted from when I desire to drop it in there. This along with the scoring system. I have decided though that I will not go for a bonus run system because for a small survival based game a bonus run wouldn't be practical or a great use of programming space.  I am just hoping to set it up initially to be playable, and if I'm lucky Fog that'll be in the next build you get.

I am ATM working on the menu system, which I have decided to showcase the enemy in the background, but have it move towards a fixed point. It looks pretty cool. I a malso having ideas for what I should call this game anyway. I can rule out "mono" although the game is black and white, some better game dev got there first. I am tempted to go with either "mania" or "chaos" because if I choose mania I can have the smaller enemy + motion blur trail dotting the "i" which will look cool. Chaos is obviously suiting the game but in a way so is mania, I may think of a name nearer the end of development.

I am undecided about whether this game should have a leaderboard ? for say the top 5 scores ? Since its a browser based game it won't be permanent so I haven't decided whether I should bothe. I will however be showing the players highest score of the session and their current score for definate as without it what would be the point.

ATM its shaping up to be a nice little test project. If I'm lucky Fog the next build should be arriving this Saturday + Email alongside.

Any concerns from anyone do write them here...Until next time...
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »

I like your choice of game names  mania" or "chaos.

Not sure which i prefer.  Both sound great.

TMC
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

Still undecided about names tbh, if anyone has any idea of similar sounding names to binary zoo titles i.e catchy single word titles that explain the game in a word, I would be greatful.

I have finally settled on my screen size, I don't know why it took so long but 640x480 is the default screensize now so thats cool. I have for this week been playing with optimisations, I have optimised my Blur effect code making it more suitable for the task aswel as making the blur effect 100x better in my opinion. I now have my blur effect on the player, and on the large enemy, of which there is only ever 1 at a time, the smaller enemy is gonna be a bit trickier, but thats some fun for later.

I'm currently working on assigning a random number to a variable, for some reason flash doesn't like it but I'm sure that with the internet as my guide I can work around it. Thats all in due course, because as soon as that is completed then I can progress further.

At the moment I am just toying with the health of the larger enemy, I want it to be a bullet sponge so the player has to against a fair few of the smaler enemy in the first place just to even attempt to kill the larger enemy. I am also really tempted to introduce a multplier system based on kills in the same way Geometry wars does it, just to spice the game up. I am also giving the player a life with health as opposed to one hit kil, the reason being I can't replicate the action replay code so if people died in one hit they would be pretty pissed.

My minimalist menu has now also just left the design phase and I plan to complete the task of adding it to the game soon. Fog you wll get something soon though, sory for the delay.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

Still undecided about names tbh, if anyone has any idea of similar sounding names to binary zoo titles i.e catchy single word titles that explain the game in a word, I would be greatful.
Heh, I spend ages trying to think up names for games and then normally just give up.  Meaning most games just keep whatever name they had in the demo version....which in turn was normally the first thing that popped into my head at the time.  Tongue

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »

Hey Fog, just thought I would say that I sent you an email regarding the large enemy, it contains 3 builds ad requires you to do some testing as well.

Up next for me though, adding the motion blur to the smaller enemy, all however many there are onscreen at once, particle effects system needs to be dropped in then some tinkering, proper scoring system, some text effects, games style needs to be decided upon and altered, some sound fx and music.

Oh well, I may aswell ask, Would any member of the FKD reality team be willing to help me ?   by creating a small 1 minute looping track in a .wav and .mp3 format for me to add to my game "Mania", anything like what you have done in previous Binary Zoo games would be pretty cool. And a 30 second looping track for the menu if possible. Credit will be assigned where its due.

Until next time...
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »

Hey Fog, just thought I would say that I sent you an email regarding the large enemy, it contains 3 builds ad requires you to do some testing as well.
Might take a few days.  Hospital tomorrow and it might take me a day or two after that to get back into the groove and check my email machine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 191 Go Up Print 
Jump to: