binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  TMC's Shoot Em Up Dev Diary
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TMC's Shoot Em Up Dev Diary  (Read 112026 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »

looks slick man ..
very neon for sure .
my wife likes it , and she likes old schooll stuff..  hardcore nintendo player .. LOL

Your wife has good taste.   Grin

Hope she's alot better these days.

That reminds me, i've been meaning to get back to Ocarina Of Time.  Have been playing it on an emulator.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #511 on: July 09, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »

That reminds me, i've been meaning to get back to Ocarina Of Time.  Have been playing it on an emulator.
What do you think of OoT?  I played it for the first time a few years back and wasn't that impressed.  Like a lot of supposed classics you probably had to play it when it first came out to fully appreciate it.  Having said that I thought Zelda:Twilight Princess on the Wii was pretty average too.  The old 2D ones were good though.

And on a completely different topic.  I read on either the Blitz or Monkey forums that Blitz3D uses dx7 and that's emulated on Windows 7 with some poor results.  Sods law I can't find the post now.  Tongue  Do you know anything about that?

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #512 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »

What do you think of OoT?  I played it for the first time a few years back and wasn't that impressed.  Like a lot of supposed classics you probably had to play it when it first came out to fully appreciate it.  Having said that I thought Zelda:Twilight Princess on the Wii was pretty average too.  The old 2D ones were good though.

Well, the last console i owned was an N64, many years ago and i experienced Zelda and all the hype that surrounded it the first time round upon release.

I remember buying the N64 mags at the time which all had previews of the game.  I think i follwed the dev for it a good year before it was released in the UK.

I was totaly blown away by it the first time round and played it constantly until i completed it.  Along with Mario 64, i thought it was the best N64 game i ever played.

Now playing it a second time, via PC emulator, it's definately showing it's age.

The first thing that struck me, was just how low resolutions the textures are.
Which give it a very dated look.

I see the new DS release has had a major overhaul in this department.

But it's still a very enjoyable and charming ( innocent ) adventure game.  And plays really well with an Xbox 360 controller.
I don't miss the N64 controller at all.

I'm still playing it as little Link, so am not that far into it.

I think the gameplay stands up pretty well by todays standards but i'll reserve final judgement until after i've completed it.

And on a completely different topic.  I read on either the Blitz or Monkey forums that Blitz3D uses dx7 and that's emulated on Windows 7 with some poor results.  Sods law I can't find the post now.    Do you know anything about that?

I've read the same thing.
But i only have Windows Xp on both of my Pc's so can't comment via personal experience.

And yes, Blitz3d is Dx7.  Although there have been 3rd party Dx9 drivers for it.  If i remember correctly.

Performance is a relative thing though.

I had poor performance with Blitz3d with my Autocross Racing, on my old Pc.  Which wasn't emulated.
I would have thought that any Pc capable of running Windwows 7, on todays hardware would be more than capable of sustaining high frame rates.

But thats just an assumption.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #513 on: July 09, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »

Well, the last console i owned was an N64, many years ago and i experienced Zelda and all the hype that surrounded it the first time round upon release.
Ah right, I didn't realise you'd ever been a console gamer Smiley

I would have thought that any Pc capable of running Windwows 7, on todays hardware would be more than capable of sustaining high frame rates.

But thats just an assumption.
The PC market has undergone something of a transformation recently from what I can make out.  As more and more "PC's" are laptops and low powered netbooks, the average PC today is probably less powerful than it was a few years ago.

Add in the loss of performance due to emulation and I'd be interested to see what the performance is like.  Not necessarily for Blitz stuff, but to see how older applications etc will work when I upgrade to W7. 

And no I have no data to back any of that up lol Smiley  I'm just going by what I hear and what PC's/Laptops/Netbooks all my family and mates have bought recently.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] Go Up Print 
Jump to: