binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 191 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 456526 times)
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »

Hey Fog, just thought I would say that I sent you an email regarding the large enemy, it contains 3 builds ad requires you to do some testing as well.
Might take a few days.  Hospital tomorrow and it might take me a day or two after that to get back into the groove and check my email machine.

Get well soon Fog =( You will get better ! I do just hope its a checkup of some kind.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »

Time for a hefty update.

Basically, I have been toying around with how I can make the game get steadily harder, so luckily I have stumbled across the idea of, hey lets make the Large Enemy become more agressive towards the player after each time it is destroyed, so that code has been implemented and tested, I just need to work out at what speed I should cap the large enemy at and what its starting speed should be, expect some more builds soon Fog.

I was also toying around with the scoring aswell. I was thinking, if a player got one value for a small enemy all of the time, it would be seen as a slug-fest to get the high scores, so what I implemented today was amultiplier system, the more times you kill the larger enemy the more your multiplier increases meaning, the longer you stay alive the more points you can recieve, since the larger enemy is constantly harassing the player, they cannot camp and recieve massive scores, so whatever anyone scores they will be worthy.

regarding motion blur for smaller enemy of which there are many on screen, I do require help as to map the motion blur effect over all of them onscreen, I also want it translate for if I change my enemy variable the motion blur becomes available on the added enemies, since I am still adding and removing smaller enemies at all times just to work out whats best, although I have a feeling that the amount of enemies the large enemy spews out will be based entirely on how fast the large enemy is moving, so the harder it gets the more you're forced to shoot the larger enemy, well luckily the larger enemy will give you points for destroying it, but I don't know whether it should be affected by the overall multiplier, it probably should, also points for hitting the larger enemy aswell in a Crack asteroid style.

Which brings me to style of the game, I dont know whether It should stck to simple geometry which for the moment is serving me quite well, or gun for a more stertypical Binary Zoo style of Asteroids, either way when I am finished coding I will do two versions, one with geometry and one with asteroids and put the decision up to you the community.

Menu is also on the builds still, I do plan to make most of the options calibratable, like the player reaction time, sound off and on (to make the file smaller I may not allow for sound to be turned up or down) perhaps difficulty, but I would rather the game had no difficulty barriers and was just everyone plays at the same level. I most probably will not have a leaderboard since it can't be permanent.

I finally settled on the name Mania, I doubt it should change but if anyone really dislike it then do say.

What is funny however is that over time less and less people are reading this little blog of mine.

Until next time...Sme Bat-time...same Bat-channel.
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »

Well, i'm still reading it, and enoy it too.   Smiley

As a fellow developer i can sympathise with all the points you raise.

Those of us who do code games suffer from similar issues, so you're not alone.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »

Yep we've all been there Smiley  So in anticipation can I just say welcome to the world of menu coding....the most tedius job in the world.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »

Yep we've all been there Smiley  So in anticipation can I just say welcome to the world of menu coding....the most tedius job in the world.  BunnyMonkey!
Not in Flash Fog, I simply draw my button template, copy and paste it for as many buttons as I want, place them where I want onscreen. Convert them to a "Button" object, add the code, snce flash is made up of a series of windows so the code is.
Code:
onRelease(){
gotoAndPlay(2);
}
Thats if you would like to go to the second screen that is. Other options become more tedious and harder to do, so maybe your right. I can even double click on the button when its been converted and add animations for it, when the mouse hovers over it, and when the mouse clicks it using the "Button" templates. Thats about as easy as Flash gets though. Everything else is real programming =D.

I have decided that once I get the menu and options system coded, I am going to optimise the entire system. Luckily I found loads of ActionsScript optimising help, so I know what to change and what to improve. Then once thats all done, I can decide on small enemy behaviour because for the moment I am not happy with it, I may even scrap the small enemy and just have the larger enemy shoot at the player, but I don't know.

Currently though the game has been stripped and I'm just checking all of the necessary things, I want it to move at a comfortable 48 fps with up to 50 things onscreen at once, since I know its possible. I'll keep you all informed anyway, its fun since its rounding off the bare bones of the game...I just know its polish to come. Fog it should be in full system testing phase soon, obviously myself and MadJ test at the moment but another head would be good. My only fear is the I will be a master at whatever I build because I have played it a fair bit.

Almost forgot, I need to have it so the player can die, that never even crossed my mind until just this moment, have to code that before I can think about stuff really.

I'll keep y'all posted... 
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »

If you need another playtester, i'd be more than willing. Smiley

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »

Not in Flash Fog, I simply draw my button template, copy and paste it for as many buttons as I want, place them where I want onscreen. Convert them to a "Button" object, add the code, snce flash is made up of a series of windows so the code is.
Code:
onRelease(){
gotoAndPlay(2);
}
Thats if you would like to go to the second screen that is. Other options become more tedious and harder to do, so maybe your right. I can even double click on the button when its been converted and add animations for it, when the mouse hovers over it, and when the mouse clicks it using the "Button" templates. Thats about as easy as Flash gets though. Everything else is real programming =D.
Yeah it's not so much the coding of the menu buttons and stuff that's tedius, it's making all those buttons have an effect.  Highscore tables, joypad configuration, audio and graphic options etc....all boring when you'd much rather be working on the gameplay.  You might not need all those for this project but you'll find out what I mean soon enough  Smiley

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »

If you need another playtester, i'd be more than willing. Smiley

TMC

Sure thing, I do presume there is a link to your email ? If there is then I'll patch you through builds. Most probably al of the same things that Fog has seen. Just to note any builds with Motion Blur are far in the past - In fact I just got an idea, I'll send you "ShmupTest5" which is ok, it means that you can see the large enemy in action, have something to shoot, also see how I "Copied" (replecated) Fogs ship from famous Binary Zoo games, infact more feedback would be useful. =). I'm happy again.

As a quick update, I decided that I need to spice the game up, so for the moment I am taking out the smaller enemy and having the large enemy shoot the player at intervals. I'm gonna create a spicier alternative to the large enemy spewing out smaller enemies. Once I think of it or them then i'll start to implement some stuff.

Still haven't coded since last night, but will have to do some optimising because I want a few more enemies on screen before I think about polishing.

Until next time...
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »

Sorry to double post.

Anyway, I made the game play different, so now its just a smaller enemy, the smaller enemy acts like the small asteroid in Echoes, and infact has what I think is a really similar method of spawning, along with random movement speeds, so it bombards from all sides and bounces off the screen wall. The game is super simple, but I think it may be too simple. The game will perhaps have a level system. I am toying with the level increasing after a random time, which I think I will probably do or have it increase depending on a random player score. If I do it with the timer then I can have that delay section at the beggining that I so crave because in Crack it looks super cool. yeah, once the enemies are introduced they have a fixed number, then the variable number is simply just increased depending on the level, so level 1 may begin with 3 enemies which would allow the player to warm up, when level 3 may have 10 enemies, and so on incrementing depending on whether or not I would like more enemies on screen, or I could do it without informing the player and have the screen become more packed.

From what I can tell its pretty fun, but I don't yet know if its, "just 1 more game" fun, because if i'm right then the simple things amuse.

Also thanks for your feedback TMC, I do believe that because of your feedback I will have to take FPS into serious account, and my quest is to have you running at a smooth 48 FPS as opposed to your appauling 21, which shouldn't of happenned.

Until next time...
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 10:39:10 PM »

Also thanks for your feedback TMC, I do believe that because of your feedback I will have to take FPS into serious account, and my quest is to have you running at a smooth 48 FPS as opposed to your appauling 21, which shouldn't of happenned.
Ah so the FPS is an issue after all.  I said I thought it might be.  Hope you can fix that.

Most Flash games tend to run in much smaller windows than you are trying so maybe that's something worth considering?

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »

Ah so the FPS is an issue after all.  I said I thought it might be.  Hope you can fix that.

Most Flash games tend to run in much smaller windows than you are trying so maybe that's something worth considering?
I'll consider it, but too small and you have no game, I did manage to boost another 10 FPS out of his system yesterday, pre-optimization so once itsall optimized I should hopefully find another 10, ore 20.

Thanks TMC for all your feedback, its definately making me work that little bit faster.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »

Just posting to say that I am going to take a break with, "Mania" for the moment and do some simple demos or even try my hand at puzzle games, or make a few tech demos. I'm only taking this break now because I don't want to get sick of "Mania" just yet.

So my devblog now will be talking about side projects.

I have also been researching Flash game sponsorship, to see how much money a singular flash game can sell. So, starting on my Birthday, this saturday, I am going to quest to build a game a month over 2 months, one will be set up with the Mochi-ads system, the other will be in an attempt to earn big bucks through a game sponsorship.

Sponsorships range from about $75 - $5000 which is encouraging. The Mochi-ads system pays about a cent per showing of the advert, which is great, Thank you NewGrounds !!!

I guess now, that I have to think of what these small games will be...
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »

Just posting to say that I am going to take a break with, "Mania" for the moment and do some simple demos or even try my hand at puzzle games, or make a few tech demos. I'm only taking this break now because I don't want to get sick of "Mania" just yet.

So my devblog now will be talking about side projects.

I have also been researching Flash game sponsorship, to see how much money a singular flash game can sell. So, starting on my Birthday, this saturday, I am going to quest to build a game a month over 2 months, one will be set up with the Mochi-ads system, the other will be in an attempt to earn big bucks through a game sponsorship.

Sponsorships range from about $75 - $5000 which is encouraging. The Mochi-ads system pays about a cent per showing of the advert, which is great, Thank you NewGrounds !!!

I guess now, that I have to think of what these small games will be...
I know puzzle games are really your thing so it will be interesting to see what you come up with.  I know from that other thread that you have plenty of ideas.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Don't expect it to be the most amazing puzzle game evr madethough, I'm probably just going to make one to the style I enjoy. This is just going to be an experiment though, to see what each of the systems does to my advantage. There is one thing I would love to try though, is a dance music rhythm game to the style of BBR but use WASD/Arrow keys at the same time, where WASD is that background and The arrow keys are the melody and the tune. I'll still test it out though just to see if it'll be feasable, doing it in time to music wil be tricky, and checking if there is or isn't a collision will also be tricky.

They are though just going to be super simple. I just want to merely see if the Flash game market can give a profit of value equivalent or greater than the effort I put into it.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »

Well that was a short break, but I just couldn't tear myself away from it, which is sad, I know. I have been thinking of ways I could speed my game up, make it a better system and the like. So I am thinking, that if for the moment I simply remove the code for the Arrow key support (unless any of you guys use it?) just because its a massive block of code, so I am going to temporarily remove the code for Arrow keys.

My menu has its style which I enjoy. Its familiar yet unique.

There is something annoying with a variable that I need to get sorted out, its so I can add enemies in large blocks after a time interval, and keep adding to them. Because the game has just one enemy type, but many of them onscreen. I remembered what I liked from your games, the power of the player, and the wealth of enemies on screen to shoot. So thats all this game is, from what I can tell it will run at optimum speed on most computers.

Also have a nice Asteroid shape that I won't mind using in the final game.

I did though yesterday write a simple game demo, I just don't know if theres a game there Sad. If there is I could perhas develop it further during the experiment time.

I guess the reason I did return to the project so soon, was because I am having fun getting and then solving problems and seeing the game progressing. I also tested some of my code at school today and a teacher told me to stop playing the game, so I was pleased because if it looked to them like a game, then thats a start. I also am continuing because the thought of money at the end could be seen as a nice reward. If I keep taking on everything you guys are saying then this has the chance to be a beautiful game. Also provided I can get all of my effects in place by the end of it, but for the moment, I am just going to try and get the bare-bones game running at 48 Fps on everyones PCs. Expect a refreshed build in the near future.

Until next time...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 191 Go Up Print 
Jump to: