binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 457526 times)
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »

Just returned from a trip, keen to jump back into code!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2806 on: June 14, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »

Saw some pics on a Twitter.

Lots of you standing beside rides but none of you actually on them Wink

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »

Saw some pics on a Twitter.

Lots of you standing beside rides but none of you actually on them Wink

Haha! Yes, I do go on them but I'm somewhat distracted by the ride to take pics Wink

Managed to do some coding on my return though;

Parked the robotron game while I'm working on a simple 2D top down racing game prototype... it's simple but fun, I might do this as my next project after Robotron Smiley with the aim
As for robotron I've sorted how to plan levels and it's quite straightforward... give the level a list of enemies, a list of spawns and a duration. Every N seconds a spawn will occur and the type of spawn depends on where you are in the arena Smiley Just need to test it out to see how easy/hard it is to tweak the levels and see how fun it is.
One thing I have noticed though is it's really fun shooting mass amounts of similar enemies.

Will keep you updated hopefully playable prototype stage soon Smiley
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: June 29, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »

Slow news day;

Made some progress on racing game prototype, i've wired all of the UI together includng a menu screen, car select, track select and track settings (weather, laps, mode, flipped etc.).
Settled on an art style that is easy enough for me to do while being unique enough in the approach, stacked sprites to give the illusion of depth.
Did some more work on the track editor, it now works as expected, you can plot a route edit the curves just need to add a fixed length starting grid, start finish line and chicanes...
I've got the AI working correctly, it can follow the race line with an accuracy rating, if they try and turn too tightly they begin to drift (just like the player).
I like hectic racing so there's 20 cars on the track and as it's more novelty they just get randomly assigned at the start of the race, may cut it down to 10 as not all tracks will be as long as the test track.

It's pretty fun!

Haven't done much on robotron-like for a while as I fancied a break, but it still works fine and all of my enemies are still fun Smiley will see which of these games I want to push to completion, in fact I may upload both games as prototypes and let you guys decide which you prefer.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2809 on: June 30, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »

An overhead racing game sounds cool and good ones are rare these days. Skidmarks way back on the Amiga is still the best in genre IMO.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »

Thanks, yeah it's quite fun so far!

As a change of pace though I did more work on the robotron-like at the weekend, as I'm happy with all the enemies I began designing different levels.
Hoping to have around 25 levels with a boss every 5.
I've also been thinking about a few different game modes including the arcade mode (all 25 levels in sequence), endless mode (progressively harder over 10 minutes), timed mode (3 minutes of hell), boss rush (all the boses getting progressively harder).
Haven't decided on powerups other than smart bomhs, and a collectible battery to force the player to move around the arena but i'll worry about that when I've finished designing levels.
The racing game provided a much needed break Smiley
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: July 14, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »

Long time no update;

Making great progress on robotron-like now I've clicked how I'm going to do it.
I have a super simple level builder, which uses a mix of MS Paint and an array of numbers of each enemy type to spawn.
I've settled on no weapon upgrades but will let the player collect health packs and nuts for a bonus.
Added a boss as just another type of enemy that hooks up to the healthbar ui, all bosses behave the same but have different appearances.
Fully animated the player with 4 types that blend together nicely.

Hopefully a playable build coming soon Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2812 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »

Yay progress.  Good to hear you're back at it. Smiley

While it goes against modern expectations, I actually like the idea of not having weapon upgrades.  From a designers perspective it makes balancing the difficulty a whole lot easier.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »

Thanks, yeah glad to be back at it it's good fun!

I decided on Sunday I'm going to stick closer to making a clone of the game first with my twist on the art style before thinking about making an updated version.
Luckily I can use all the code I've already written for it so nothing needs to change, but i've reduced the scope so I can have the satisfaction of a release again
My aim now is to replicate all of the existing waves in Robotron and have an online leaderboard...

I also think I'll continue to work through my remakes of these classic games, adding more features per game as per my original plan before going back and plussing a game ready for release Smiley
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 01, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

I am off on Holiday this weekend for a few weeks so won't be around Sad

However I have made loads of progress on robotron-like.
All of the enemies have been implemented all collision for enemies and bullets have been added and the player can die.
Settled on an art style and it looks pretty good, slick animation and lots of bright colours really helps and a boatload of particles.
Wave design process works really well and its a quick turnaround, added the ability to scale a wave in difficulty by adding a multiplier to the base wave.

Will be sure to keep you updated when I get back and will likely upload a few pics of my trip here and there.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2815 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

Excellent.  Have a great holiday JDog. Smiley

Another theme park trip I assume  man

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 01, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »

You've nailed it, yup another theme park trip this time to Asia Smiley
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 29, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »

I'm back after a long and tiring trip to Asia, hopefully you enjoyed my updates, sadly it's lots of pics of me infront of stuff Wink I do the stuff too just don't take pics from the inside lol.

Hope all is well here?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2818 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »

I'm back after a long and tiring trip to Asia, hopefully you enjoyed my updates, sadly it's lots of pics of me infront of stuff Wink I do the stuff too just don't take pics from the inside lol.

Hope all is well here?
Good to have you back JDog.  Yeah I followed the pics on Twitter and it looks like you visited some amazing places. Smiley

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 01, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »

Thanks, it was a great trip! Already started planning next years excursions.

I'm currently getting a miniature ready for a painting competition so not sure how much coding time I'll have but i'm equally as keen to get my robotron clone finished and move on to something new...
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 Go Up Print 
Jump to: