binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 05:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28182 Posts in 1141 Topics by 171 Members
Latest Member: skape
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderators: Prime_8, JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 261393 times)
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1695 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »

nice .  very cool

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1696 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

I'm still liking the unusual purple TBH.  Smiley

While it looks a bit confusing trying to see what is wall and what is background in those screenies, I'm sure it looks ok in motion.  Does it really need parallax scrolling?

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »

I'm still liking the unusual purple TBH.  Smiley

While it looks a bit confusing trying to see what is wall and what is background in those screenies, I'm sure it looks ok in motion.  Does it really need parallax scrolling?

It doesn't need parallax, i'll make it toggle so you can decide during tests Smiley And yeah, I just need to make the rocky textures look a tad more unforgiving.

I've been fiddling with level creation at the moment, so fr there's 10 passable levels (all without enemies), I hope to do another 15 intime for the next tests whever that will be. You can now unlock levels upon completion, aswell as die after 3+ more contacts, collect health and score...

I'm going to add save data, keeping track of number of levels unlocked, and the high score for each of those levels.

Projects - ACE (Shmup), Fat Bat (Platformer)

http://fat-bat.blogspot.co.uk/
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1698 on: March 06, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

Cool.  Looking forward to another play.

Personally I wouldn't create too many levels before testing and tweaking.  I like to get the controls, movement etc. completely nailed down before designing too many levels because if you do tweak your handling or movement speed it could mean your already designed levels are no good and need redesigning.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »

Personally I wouldn't create too many levels before testing and tweaking.  I like to get the controls, movement etc. completely nailed down before designing too many levels because if you do tweak your handling or movement speed it could mean your already designed levels are no good and need redesigning.

True, I should just let you play the 15 i've cooked up (without enemies still, just the hazard of the cavern walls to worry about)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1700 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »

True, I should just let you play the 15 i've cooked up (without enemies still, just the hazard of the cavern walls to worry about)
Yeah, it's difficult to know how many enemies you need to put in until you know how difficult it is to manoeuvre.  Smiley

Are the enemies just of the must be avoided type, or is there some way to kill them?  Actually it might be cool if the different fruits game you temporary abilities.  Hmm.  Sorry, can't switch off the game designers thoughts  Tongue

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1701 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »

that & direction you fly at em .. ie head on could let you get some ?

veru coolio dude

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 11, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »

Thanks folks! just doing some shader coursework at the moment, work will resume on bat game shortly Smiley Will try and get a screenie up at somepoint today!

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

So all my Shaderzzzz coursework has been submitted Smiley I've now been set some AI and some multi-threaded/networked/2D physics coursework... but its the easter holidays now so I have some more time to sink into bat game.

The game has progressed code wise and art wise and i'll have to get some screenshots up at somepoint today. The game also has a name, undecided which of the two to use but its between;

Big Bat or
Fat Bat

I've decided to remove the second parallaxing layer for the time being as its more additional work and although it looked good, I couldn't accurately cull the transformed grid. Also, not every tile harms the player, the caves are more open and its more about flying through an engaging level.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

kevinmurphy23@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1704 on: March 28, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Why not use Parallax stars instead.

Simple and easy to implement with not much performance overhead.

You could also add some random twinkly stars as i did in my shooter.

I also had a second parallax layer along with stars.

My grid layer was simply made up of horizontal and vertical lines which stretch across the whole screen making up a square grid.

And it's simply a case of moving each line and checking whether they go off screen or not.

Vertcal lines only need to scroll horizontally and horizontal lines need to scroll verticaly.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1705 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »

Big Bat or
Fat Bat
Out of those two defo Fat Bat.  Smiley

Also, not every tile harms the player, the caves are more open and its more about flying through an engaging level.
That's certainly the way I would go and then introduce more harmful tiles in the later levels. 

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: March 29, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »

Big Bat or
Fat Bat
Out of those two defo Fat Bat.  Smiley

Also, not every tile harms the player, the caves are more open and its more about flying through an engaging level.
That's certainly the way I would go and then introduce more harmful tiles in the later levels. 

Aye thats the plan, though not with tiles so much as enemies.
I'm having safe and spiked tiles only as it makes the most sense.

and all enemies are in two patterns;

non-spiked (enemies you can kill by flying into them)
spiked (enemies that wound you when you fly into them)
and i'm still having falling stalactites as hazards aswell

Instead of flying to a fruit basket at the end i've not come up with anything to signify a logical ending, since now the bat just eats the fruit when it collects it. I've been toying with a perch of somekind...

And at the moment i'm not touching graphics, just using placeholders so I can focus on the graphics afterwards.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1707 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »

I would pay up to $2 for a mobile version of Fat Bat.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 29, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

Lol, well its going to be free whenever its done anyway Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1709 on: March 31, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

lol.  It shows how things have changed when $2 is actually a reasonable amount of money for a mobile game.  Smiley

It's kinda crazy, but if it's working as a price model for games, and it certainly is for plenty of developers,  then I wonder whether other forms of media would benefit from a similar pricing model change?

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 158 Go Up Print 
Jump to: