binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 456929 times)
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: October 04, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Soon! Very soon, just need to sort the help text out and add those sound fx Smiley

Thanks, it's not too ambitious but should have a pretty striking look, simple concept and be quite addictive, I'll deliberately keep the style of game secret until it's ready to playtest  Huh
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »

Pacman is nearly ready to go, just having an issue with my screen manager, for some reason the help screen is being displayed behind the game despite being called afterwards.

Aside from that though the game is complete.

I'm also doing the groundwork on the next project and it's coming together nicely. Still early days yet, but so far so good.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2837 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »

Looking forward to both. 

Mostly can't wait to see what this original project is Smiley

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: October 23, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »

Thanks!

I've been doing some work on it, but no info as of yet as it's a bit too early.
I have been updating my engine after the previous games to change some things I've been having problems with. The biggest update has been the simplifying of the renderer to make stuff stateful, so now you set the drawingmode before drawing the shape. there's a single transform function to modify the shapes etc. so that makes my life easier.
I've also simplified the interface for my sound and music player as I was doing stuff in my game that I could be doing inside the library.

So far so good though, really fun to make!
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »

Slow news, but things are progressing here.

I've almost finished adding each gameplay element. You are now able to make each element.
I've modified the background effects to reflect what's happening in the game.
I'm working on adding a placeholder gameover effect.
I've also been adding some additional efects to make the game look more alive.
Still need to make it properly fullscreen before I start showing it.

It's looking and playing well though!
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: November 15, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »

I'm back from holiday so plan to get on with some game stuff soon.

I have a toy painting competition next weekend so will probably focus on that first, then jump back on the game bandwagon.
All the mechanics are sorted, I have sorted out the process of special moves and you can now lose the game properly.
I have also added the behaviour to handle the other gamemode!
Somepoint I will need to do the boring stufflike menus and profile creation before I can show anything working, but it's coming thats for sure.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2841 on: November 20, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »

How's the miniature painting coming along?  The last pic on Twitter was fantastic.

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »

Thanks!

It's on hold at the minute as I wasn't really feeling painting that miniature in that scheme. I'm working on a smaller unit of 6 models for fun to get my painting spark back Smiley
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 05, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »

Fired up the game for the first time in a few weeks.

It's a match 3 puzzle game.

It still works which is good... and it's still fun which is also good.
I've had a change of heart with how i'm rendering certain pieces and have opted to add a new dynamic to the game in the form of color.
It was actually too difficult to tell certain pieces apart so colour fixed that issue quite comfortably, this also helped with another issue i was having regarding special pieces.
as I have some colour in the game it lets me create more interesting particle effects. I'm keen on making stuff dramatic when it happens to make the act of playing the game as satisfying as possible.
Also the new way i'm rendering my pieces allows me to do some better passive effects. I currently have a background that I'm planning on making more interactive but i'd like the foreground to be just as interactive.
I've settled on the remaining special pieces of which there are 3 bonus types.
I've also added the logic to handle timed mode, creating combos increases your time but your time is still capped at 30 seconds. Gives you another dynamic to lose the game Tongue
Also really tempted to add a chill mode to let people learn the mechanics without fear of losing, doesn't save your progress just a sandbox.

And that's that. I'm still painting miniatures too with a few fun projects lined up.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2844 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »

Good update.

I've had a change of heart with how i'm rendering certain pieces and have opted to add a new dynamic to the game in the form of color.
Yeah that was my concern looking at the videos.  The monochrome looked really cool, I just wasn't sure how fast your brain could parse the necessary information to identify different tile types.

EDIT:
The miniatures you've posted on Twitter look incredible.  How many hours would you say it takes to finish one of those?

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 07, 2017, 04:44:56 PM »

Thanks!

As ever there's a lot going on but it's coming together.
Unlike your project I still have the boring stuff to do Tongue
I have updated the transition effect to something more appropriate to the game.

The current series of miniatures the gross looking 'poxwalkers' take about 3 hours a piece, which is quicker than usual even with the non metallic metal effects.
The next set i'm going to be painting is a Blood Bowl team of 12 miniatures.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

Happy New Year folks!

Here's to another year of development with hopefully more stuff than last year.
I was actually surprised to break the habit and share some stuff I was working on with you all in the form of those remakes.
This year I have a game that I'm hoping to release pretty soon and another of my remakes that I'm hoping to overhaul and release also.
All the gameplay on my current game is complete including each gamemode (endless mode, timed mode and chillout mode) , just need to balance the game and fix a few of the bugs that have cropped up.
I'm hoping to have a simplistic menu finished and some sound effects before I get it ready for playtesting, hopefully sooner rather than later Smiley
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2847 on: January 03, 2018, 06:05:59 AM »

Keen to see what comes out! Sounds like you've been productive Cheesy

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2848 on: January 03, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »

Is this the puzzle game JDog?  Looking forward to having a play Smiley

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: January 03, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »

Thanks, that's the one!

Yup, coming soon, currently doing menu stuff so you can actually navigate between game modes and stuff... Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 Go Up Print 
Jump to: